It is currently April 20th, 2024, 2:02 pm

Advice for Roundline NetIn/Out meter

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
Mor3bane

Advice for Roundline NetIn/Out meter

Post by Mor3bane »

Hi, so I am trying to get a steady reading, as the Roundline does not seem sensitive enough and is mainly at idle showing a zero value most of the time.

In other words the Roundline is always at minimum or Zero.

This code is certainly a bit messed up but it is based on my histogram meter which is really responsive, so I have added a few things in the effort to make the Roundline equally visually sensitive/responsive - but what I've got here does not seem to be making any visible difference:

Code: Select all

[Rainmeter]
Update=200
Group=Big

[Metadata]
Author=Morbane

[Variables]
@include=#@#RoundVariables.inc
Color=#GlobalFontColor#
ColorZ=#ColorOffset#
Wreath=#WreathColor#
Font=#GlobalFont#
Goth=#Gothic#
FreeColor=#Free#
UsedColor=#Used#

[Background]
Meter=Image
ImageName=#@#Background.png
X=40
Y=40

[MeasureNetIn]
Measure=NetIn
UpdateDivider=5

[MeasureNetOut]
Measure=NetOut
InvertMeasure=1
UpdateDivider=5

[MeasureNetInB]
Measure=NetIn
InvertMeasure=1
UpdateDivider=5

[MeasureNetOutB]
Measure=NetOut
UpdateDivider=5

[NetDown]
MeasureName=MeasureNetIn
Meter=ROUNDLINE
X=134
Y=133
StartAngle=-1.5458897
RotationAngle=3.017
LineColor=#Goth#
LineLength=88
LineStart=100
Solid=1
Autoscale=1
AverageSize=5
AntiAlias=1

[NetDownB]
MeasureName=MeasureNetInB
Meter=ROUNDLINE
X=134
Y=133
StartAngle=1.510
RotationAngle=-3.007
LineColor=135,130,120,225
LineLength=88
LineStart=100
Solid=1
Autoscale=1
AverageSize=5
AntiAlias=1

[NetUp]
MeasureName=MeasureNetOut
Meter=ROUNDLINE
X=r
Y=r
StartAngle=1.560
RotationAngle=3.067
LineColor=#FreeColor#
LineLength=88
LineStart=100
Solid=1
AntiAlias=1
Autoscale=1
AverageSize=5

[NetUpB]
MeasureName=MeasureNetOutB
Meter=ROUNDLINE
X=r
Y=r
StartAngle=4.6825758
RotationAngle=-3.0820
LineColor=105,100,90,225
LineLength=88
LineStart=100
Solid=1
AntiAlias=1
AverageSize=5
Autoscale=1
idle histo net.jpg
I know the In is zero but I dont know how to do those little animated thingys to show the lack of responsiveness reflected in the histogram image.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My DevArt Gallery

There are many ways to be different - there is only one way to be yourself - be amazing at it

The law of averages says what it means; even if you get everything right, you will get something wrong. Therefore; self managing error trapping initiates another set of averages - amongst the errors, some of them will not be errors, instead those instances will appear to be "luck". One cannot complain of the 'appearance' of 'infinite regress of causation', even if it does not have a predictable pattern, only that it requires luck to achieve.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Advice for Roundline NetIn/Out meter

Post by jsmorley »

There is no AutoScale on a Roundline meter. For Net measures, you set a MaxValue in bits per second that reflects the maximum speed of your connection.

If you have a 100Mb/s connection from your ISP, a 1kb/s chunk of traffic is so small in that context that it really just rounds to zero visibly. It would take a meg of traffic to even get to 1%. I'm not sure what you are going for. I find that the Net measures don't really lend themselves to a visual representation using Bar or Roundline most of the time. How often are you actually using any significant part of your bandwidth, unless you are actively downloading / uploading a file? Surfing the web and other normal internet activities are not going to even budge a Roundline.
1.jpg
So I use "lights" to indicate activity, the text to show the amount, and although I have a Bar meter for each, they only are visually of much use when I'm actively doing something significant with my bandwidth. Downloading a file or something. 99% of the time, you are using far less than 1% of your total bandwidth.

AutoScale makes some (ok, not much in my view, but some) sense on a Histogram or Line meter, as those represent an elapsed period of time. So you are showing activity in the context of that time period. It's not so much "how much is it?", but "how much has it changed?" Bar and Roundline are a single point in time, and there is no relationship to what came before or after. AutoScale on Bar or Roundline would make no sense whatsoever. Then they just literally woudn't mean anything at all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mor3bane

Post by Mor3bane »

That makes a certain sense. Bummer for me, since I have been adding roundlines to anything it will serve a purpose on. It looks cool, etc. I was just hoping to see that relative "bounce" thinking AutoScale would capture the low data transfers then "autoscale" for when the bandwidth was really being used.

I get approximately 35Mbps down and 12 Mbps up with the Ookla tester. Even then the round line was shamefully unresponsive during the test.

Thanks jsmorley for the clarifications.
My DevArt Gallery

There are many ways to be different - there is only one way to be yourself - be amazing at it

The law of averages says what it means; even if you get everything right, you will get something wrong. Therefore; self managing error trapping initiates another set of averages - amongst the errors, some of them will not be errors, instead those instances will appear to be "luck". One cannot complain of the 'appearance' of 'infinite regress of causation', even if it does not have a predictable pattern, only that it requires luck to achieve.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Mor3bane wrote:That makes a certain sense. Bummer for me, since I have been adding roundlines to anything it will serve a purpose on. It looks cool, etc. I was just hoping to see that relative "bounce" thinking AutoScale would capture the low data transfers then "autoscale" for when the bandwidth was really being used.

I get approximately 35Mbps down and 12 Mbps up with the Ookla tester. Even then the round line was shamefully unresponsive during the test.

Thanks jsmorley for the clarifications.
Well, we need to be sure that your roundlines are reacting correctly. Although as I said, 99% of the time you are using less than 1% of your total bandwidth, when you actually do the test on Speedtest.net or wherever, you should in theory get to 100%, if you have your MaxValue set right on the measures.

[MeasureNetIn]
Measure=NetIn
Interface=Best
MinValue=0
MaxValue=(35.0 * 1048576)

The goal is to set MaxValue to the total "bits" per second your bandwidth supports.

Note that MaxValue isn't required, as the Net measures will dynamically set the top of the "range" to the maximum value it has seen since it was started, but that means that until you actually DO use 100% of your bandwidth, you are getting percentage results that don't really mean much.
Mor3bane

Post by Mor3bane »

jsmorley wrote:Well, we need to be sure that your roundlines are reacting correctly. Although as I said, 99% of the time you are using less than 1% of your total bandwidth, when you actually do the test on Speedtest.net or wherever, you should in theory get to 100%, if you have your MaxValue set right on the measures.

[MeasureNetIn]
Measure=NetIn
Interface=Best
MinValue=0
MaxValue=(35.0 * 1048576)

The goal is to set MaxValue to the total "bits" per second your bandwidth supports.

Note that MaxValue isn't required, as the Net measures will dynamically set the top of the "range" to the maximum value it has seen since it was started, but that means that until you actually DO use 100% of your CPU, you are getting percentage results that don't really mean much.
That's cool. No worries. My solution was to change the RoundLine to NetTotal. It moves nicely now and considering I still have my Histogram meter for the more visual In and Out Net bps. The NetTotal will simply reflect activity on average, and it registers more often now. I have taken off the AverageSize parameter, and the visual is nicer. So, I am contented for now. :D
My DevArt Gallery