It is currently April 19th, 2024, 5:53 am

Weather Skins

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
compupix

Weather Skins

Post by compupix »

Is anybody's weather forecast skin working?
VClouds Weather 2 current conditions doesn't load for me. IllustroSimpleWeather isn't working either.
Both use weather.com.
I haven't found a skin that uses a different source that I like.

Thanks!
CyberTheWorm

Re: Weather Skins

Post by CyberTheWorm »

Seems to be broken for a lot of ppl, looking into why mine are not working
The only source of knowledge is experience. Albert Einstein
Deviant Art Page
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

My wxdata (weather.com) skin is still working fine, so I suspect it is some regional issue on their end, that presumably will get straightened out.
Mor3bane

Post by Mor3bane »

jsmorley wrote:My wxdata (weather.com) skin is still working fine, so I suspect it is some regional issue on their end, that presumably will get straightened out.
It seems the wxdata xml - what I use also, is only partially working for my region, e.g. sunrise and sunset, along with the low and high temps. But nothing else is working at this time.

I went through RegExp and it all *seems* to match still. Just not reporting through to Rainmeter for some reason.

jsmorley; your word clock/calendar is also not receiving incidentally.

I imagine there is simply some internet issue with Weather.com.
My DevArt Gallery

There are many ways to be different - there is only one way to be yourself - be amazing at it

The law of averages says what it means; even if you get everything right, you will get something wrong. Therefore; self managing error trapping initiates another set of averages - amongst the errors, some of them will not be errors, instead those instances will appear to be "luck". One cannot complain of the 'appearance' of 'infinite regress of causation', even if it does not have a predictable pattern, only that it requires luck to achieve.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Mor3bane wrote:It seems the wxdata xml - what I use also, is only partially working for my region, e.g. sunrise and sunset, along with the low and high temps. But nothing else is working at this time.

I went through RegExp and it all *seems* to match still. Just not reporting through to Rainmeter for some reason.

jsmorley; your word clock/calendar is also not receiving incidentally.

I imagine there is simply some internet issue with Weather.com.
Like I said, the reason I am optimistic that this is a temporary issue in some regions, and not a change by weather.com, is that my skins, both my weather skin and the speaking clock skin, are working just fine for me.

Having said that, I have to say that in my view the weather RSS / ATOM feed for weather.com, and in fact for any weather provider, is no longer anywhere near the top priority for them. I highly doubt that alarm bells go off and vice presidents are woken from their sleep if the RSS feed, which generates NO REVENUE to support itself, misbehaves. Subscription API's, which are what apps on your phone use, and the advertising-laden home web site for these companies are going to get the attention.
Mor3bane

Post by Mor3bane »

jsmorley wrote:.... I highly doubt that alarm bells go off and vice presidents are woken from their sleep if the RSS feed, which generates NO REVENUE to support itself, misbehaves...
It is definitely a regional thing then, as i tested jsmorley's wxdata weather skin and my region still does not report.

This has happened before, but it resolved rather quickly. This time it seems that is not so.
My DevArt Gallery

There are many ways to be different - there is only one way to be yourself - be amazing at it

The law of averages says what it means; even if you get everything right, you will get something wrong. Therefore; self managing error trapping initiates another set of averages - amongst the errors, some of them will not be errors, instead those instances will appear to be "luck". One cannot complain of the 'appearance' of 'infinite regress of causation', even if it does not have a predictable pattern, only that it requires luck to achieve.
Mor3bane

Post by Mor3bane »

I AM confused though since this:
http://wxdata.weather.com/wxdata/weather/local/ASXX0079?cc=*&unit=f&dayf=1
reports correctly in the xml, which is what we are reading. but still incomplete reporting?

jamorley, do you have any understanding why that may be?

I am just curious.

Could the xml have changed? My eyes go googly trying to see if anything has changed ;p
My DevArt Gallery

jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Mor3bane wrote:I AM confused though since this:
http://wxdata.weather.com/wxdata/weather/local/ASXX0079?cc=*&unit=f&dayf=1
reports correctly in the xml, which is what we are reading. but still incomplete reporting?

jamorley, do you have any understanding why that may be?

I am just curious.

Could the xml have changed? My eyes go googly trying to see if anything has changed ;p
What you get in your browser is entirely different than what you get if you add Debug=2 to the WebParser parent measure and open WebParserDump.txt, or use RainRegExp. It is detecting a browser, and not returning XML.
Nitrotoxin

Post by Nitrotoxin »

It has to be regional because this does not report the temperature here in CA.

http://wxdata.weather.com/wxdata/weather/local/USCA1197?cc=*&unit=f&dayf=1

Hopefully this will get fixed soon...
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Nitrotoxin wrote:It has to be regional because this does not report the temperature here in CA.

http://wxdata.weather.com/wxdata/weather/local/USCA1197?cc=*&unit=f&dayf=1

Hopefully this will get fixed soon...
So it is not currently 101 degrees in Palmdale, CA, US ? ;-)

I think that is probably right. Weather.com only updates the RSS feed about once an hour, and the current conditions in Palmdale are 97 degrees. I can well imagine that up to an hour ago, it might well have been 101.