It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:58 pm

Help converting illustro Network Skin from B/s to Mbps or Is there a better Network Meter Skin to use?

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
Riseup44

Help converting illustro Network Skin from B/s to Mbps or Is there a better Network Meter Skin to use?

Post by Riseup44 »

Hello, I am new to Rainmeter and think it is what I have been searching for regarding add-ons for my Desktop. I run 3 monitors and always wanted a nice setup for the background which Rainmeter allows with different add-ons.

Currently, I am using the ILLUSTRO skin and using the Network Skin tab but it shows the Upload and Download speeds in B/s and there is some explanation about converting using Google but I think that is just so I can convert my speed when i want to know what it means on the meter... I want to know if it is possible to change the Skins reading that is shown from B/s to Mbps which is what our internet is in here in the US and I would love some help if it is possible to change this or if someone knows a Better Skin to use for a Network measure tool to show me what my internet speeds are at that would be great too.. I would also be open to other important Skin tools I could check out but mainly I need to figure out how to get an Internet Network Speed app on my desktop background to give me a reading in GB if possible. Thanks for your help and let me know what you need for info besides what I am posting below for what the settings say.

Code: Select all

; Lines starting ; (semicolons) are commented out.
; That is, they do not affect the code and are here for demonstration purposes only.
; ----------------------------------

[Rainmeter]
; This section contains general settings that can be used to change how Rainmeter behaves.
Update=1000
Background=#@#Background.png
; #@# is equal to Rainmeter\Skins\illustro\@Resources
BackgroundMode=3
BackgroundMargins=0,34,0,14

[Metadata]
; Contains basic information of the skin.
Name=Network
Author=poiru
Information=Shows your IP address and network activity.
License=Creative Commons BY-NC-SA 3.0
Version=1.0.0

[Variables]
; Variables declared here can be used later on between two # characters (e.g. #MyVariable#).
fontName=Trebuchet MS
textSize=12
colorBar=235,170,0,255
colorText=255,255,255,205
maxDownload=800000000
MaxUpload=80000000
; Set maxDownload and maxUpload to your maximum download and upload speed in bits.
; To convert kilobits, megabits, kilobytes, and megabytes into bits, go to http://www.google.com
; and search for something like "10 megabytes in bits".

; MEASURES return some kind of value

[measureIP]
; This measure returns your IPv4 address. WebParser measures are relatively complicated. If you're a beginner with
; Rainmeter, take a look at some of the other illustro skins before modifying this one.
; For more information, go here: https://docs.rainmeter.net/tips/ipaddress
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=WebParser
URL=https://checkip.amazonaws.com/
UpdateRate=14400
RegExp=(?siU)^(.*)$
StringIndex=1
Substitute="":"N/A"
; Substitute works as follows: "A":"B" where A is a string to substitute and B is a string
; to substitute with. In this case, it substutes "" (i.e. empty) to N/A

[measureNetIn]
Measure=NetIn
NetInSpeed=#maxDownload#
; NetInSpeed must be set so your maximun download speed for the download bar to scale correctly

[measureNetOut]
Measure=NetOut
NetOutSpeed=#maxUpload#

; STYLES are used to "centralize" options

[styleTitle]
StringAlign=Center
StringCase=Upper
StringStyle=Bold
StringEffect=Shadow
FontEffectColor=0,0,0,50
FontColor=#colorText#
FontFace=#fontName#
FontSize=10
AntiAlias=1
ClipString=1

[styleLeftText]
StringAlign=Left
; Meters using styleLeftText will be left-aligned.
StringCase=None
StringStyle=Bold
StringEffect=Shadow
FontEffectColor=0,0,0,20
FontColor=#colorText#
FontFace=#fontName#
FontSize=#textSize#
AntiAlias=1
ClipString=1

[styleRightText]
StringAlign=Right
StringCase=None
StringStyle=Bold
StringEffect=Shadow
FontEffectColor=0,0,0,20
FontColor=#colorText#
FontFace=#fontName#
FontSize=#textSize#
AntiAlias=1
ClipString=1

[styleBar]
BarColor=#colorBar#
BarOrientation=HORIZONTAL
SolidColor=255,255,255,15

[styleSeperator]

; METERS display images, text, bars, etc.

[meterTitle]
Meter=String
MeterStyle=styleTitle
; Using MeterStyle=styleTitle will basically "copy" the
; contents of the [styleTitle] section here during runtime.
X=100
Y=12
W=190
H=18
Text=Network
; Even though the text is set to Network, Rainmeter will display
; it as NETWORK, because styleTitle contains StringCase=Upper.

[meterIPLabel]
Meter=String
MeterStyle=styleLeftText
X=10
Y=40
W=190
H=14
Text=IP Address

[meterIPValue]
Meter=String
MeterStyle=styleRightText
MeasureName=measureIP
X=200
Y=0r
; r stands for relative. In this case, the Y postition of meterValueCPU is 0 pixels
; below the Y value of the previous meter (i.e it's the same as in meterLabelCPU).
W=190
H=14
Text=%1
; %1 stands for the value of MeasureName (measureIP in this case).

[meterSeperator]
Meter=Image
MeterStyle=styleSeperator
X=10
Y=52
W=190
H=1

[meterUploadLabel]
Meter=String
MeterStyle=styleLeftText
X=10
Y=60
W=190
H=14
Text=Upload

[meterUploadValue]
Meter=String
MeasureName=measureNetOut
X=200
Y=0r
W=190
H=14
Text=%1B/s
NumOfDecimals=1
AutoScale=1
; Because measureIP returns the current upload speed in bytes, we must use AutoScale=1 to
; automatically scale the value into a more readable figure.

[meterUploadBar]
Meter=Bar
MeterStyle=styleBar
X=10
Y=72
W=190
H=1

[meterDownloadLabel]
Meter=String
MeterStyle=styleLeftText
X=10
Y=80
W=190
H=14
Text=Download

[meterDownloadValue]
Meter=String
MeasureName=measureNetIn
X=200
Y=0r
W=190
H=14
Text=%1B/s
NumOfDecimals=1
AutoScale=1

[meterDownloadBar]
Meter=Bar
MeterStyle=styleBar
MeasureName=measureNetIn
X=10
Y=92
W=190
H=1
Last edited by Riseup44 on June 17th, 2018, 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Help converting illustro Network Skin from B/s to Mbps or Is there a better Network Meter Skin to use?

Post by SilverAzide »

Add UseBits=1 to the Net measures so the values will bit in bits/sec instead of bytes/sec.

[measureNetIn]
Measure=NetIn
UseBits=1
NetInSpeed=#maxDownload#
; NetInSpeed must be set so your maximun download speed for the download bar to scale correctly

[measureNetOut]
Measure=NetOut
UseBits=1
NetOutSpeed=#maxUpload#
The skin autoscales values, so if your speeds are in the millions, it will show Mbps. You will need to change the maxUpload and maxDownload variables to bits/sec. You may want to change the display meters to use Text=%1b/s instead.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Help converting illustro Network Skin from B/s to Mbps or Is there a better Network Meter Skin to use?

Post by balala »

Riseup44 wrote:Currently, I am using the ILLUSTRO skin and using the Network Skin tab but it shows the Upload and Download speeds in B/s and there is some explanation about converting using Google but I think that is just so I can convert my speed when i want to know what it means on the meter...
I'm sorry, but I think you're mistaken. The AutoScale=1 options added to the [meterUploadValue] and [meterDownloadValue] String meters, are scaling the shown numerical values. So, those meters should have to show the values either in B/s, either in kB/s or in MB/s. For me, they do show those values this way. Please check them again, they also should have to show them this way for you, too.

As an additional tip, when you post some (piece of) code, please do use the tags, available through the above Code button.
Riseup44

Post by Riseup44 »

This is like a foreign language to me and I really am trying to keep up but I guess I am just completely lost.

If this is the code I am looking at where is it that I would change those few things you posted?

; Lines starting ; (semicolons) are commented out.
; That is, they do not affect the code and are here for demonstration purposes only.

[Rainmeter]
; This section contains general settings that can be used to change how Rainmeter behaves.
Update=1000
Background=#@#Background.png
; #@# is equal to Rainmeter\Skins\illustro\@Resources
BackgroundMode=3
BackgroundMargins=0,34,0,14

[Metadata]
; Contains basic information of the skin.
Name=Network
Author=poiru
Information=Shows your IP address and network activity.
License=Creative Commons BY-NC-SA 3.0
Version=1.0.0

[Variables]
; Variables declared here can be used later on between two # characters (e.g. #MyVariable#).
fontName=Trebuchet MS
textSize=12
colorBar=235,170,0,255
colorText=255,255,255,205
maxDownload=800000000
MaxUpload=80000000
; Set maxDownload and maxUpload to your maximum download and upload speed in bits.
; To convert kilobits, megabits, kilobytes, and megabytes into bits, go to http://www.google.com
; and search for something like "10 megabytes in bits".

; MEASURES return some kind of value

[measureIP]
; This measure returns your IPv4 address. WebParser measures are relatively complicated. If you're a beginner with
; Rainmeter, take a look at some of the other illustro skins before modifying this one.
; For more information, go here: https://docs.rainmeter.net/tips/ipaddress
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=WebParser
URL=https://checkip.amazonaws.com/
UpdateRate=14400
RegExp=(?siU)^(.*)$
StringIndex=1
Substitute="":"N/A"
; Substitute works as follows: "A":"B" where A is a string to substitute and B is a string
; to substitute with. In this case, it substutes "" (i.e. empty) to N/A

[measureNetIn]
Measure=NetIn
NetInSpeed=#maxDownload#

[measureNetOut]
Measure=NetOut
NetOutSpeed=#maxUpload#

; STYLES are used to "centralize" options

[styleTitle]
StringAlign=Center
StringCase=Upper
StringStyle=Bold
StringEffect=Shadow
FontEffectColor=0,0,0,50
FontColor=#colorText#
FontFace=#fontName#
FontSize=10
AntiAlias=1
ClipString=1

[styleLeftText]
StringAlign=Left
; Meters using styleLeftText will be left-aligned.
StringCase=None
StringStyle=Bold
StringEffect=Shadow
FontEffectColor=0,0,0,20
FontColor=#colorText#
FontFace=#fontName#
FontSize=#textSize#
AntiAlias=1
ClipString=1

[styleRightText]
StringAlign=Right
StringCase=None
StringStyle=Bold
StringEffect=Shadow
FontEffectColor=0,0,0,20
FontColor=#colorText#
FontFace=#fontName#
FontSize=#textSize#
AntiAlias=1
ClipString=1

[styleBar]
BarColor=#colorBar#
BarOrientation=HORIZONTAL

[styleSeperator]

; METERS display images, text, bars, etc.

[meterTitle]
Meter=String
MeterStyle=styleTitle
; Using MeterStyle=styleTitle will basically "copy" the
; contents of the [styleTitle] section here during runtime.
X=100
Y=12
W=190
H=18
Text=Network
; Even though the text is set to Network, Rainmeter will display
; it as NETWORK, because styleTitle contains StringCase=Upper.

[meterIPLabel]
Meter=String
MeterStyle=styleLeftText
X=10
Y=40
W=190
H=14
Text=IP Address

[meterIPValue]
Meter=String
MeasureName=measureIP
X=200
Y=0r
; r stands for relative. In this case, the Y postition of meterValueCPU is 0 pixels
; below the Y value of the previous meter (i.e it's the same as in meterLabelCPU).
W=190
H=14
Text=%1
; %1 stands for the value of MeasureName (measureIP in this case).

[meterSeperator]
Meter=Image
MeterStyle=styleSeperator
X=10
Y=52
W=190
H=1

[meterUploadLabel]
Meter=String
MeterStyle=styleLeftText
X=10
Y=60
W=190
H=14
Text=Upload

[meterUploadValue]
Meter=String
X=200
Y=0r
W=190
H=14
Text=%1B/s
NumOfDecimals=1
AutoScale=1
; Because measureIP returns the current upload speed in bytes, we must use AutoScale=1 to
; automatically scale the value into a more readable figure.

[meterUploadBar]
Meter=Bar
MeterStyle=styleBar
X=10
Y=72
W=190
H=1

[meterDownloadLabel]
Meter=String
MeterStyle=styleLeftText
X=10
Y=80
W=190
H=14
Text=Download

[meterDownloadValue]
Meter=String
MeasureName=measureNetIn
X=200
Y=0r
W=190
H=14
Text=%1B/s
NumOfDecimals=1
AutoScale=1

[meterDownloadBar]
Meter=Bar
MeterStyle=styleBar
MeasureName=measureNetIn
X=10
Y=92
W=190
H=1
Riseup44

Post by Riseup44 »

balala wrote:I'm sorry, but I think you're mistaken. The AutoScale=1 options added to the [meterUploadValue] and [meterDownloadValue] String meters, are scaling the shown numerical values. So, those meters should have to show the values either in B/s, either in kB/s or in MB/s. For me, they do show those values this way. Please check them again, they also should have to show them this way for you, too.

As an additional tip, when you post some (piece of) code, please do use the tags, available through the above Code button.

Where does it give me the option to choose Mbps? I do appreciate any help you guys offer because this is really tough to understand for someone that is not familiar with this sort of thing so i do thank you.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Riseup44 wrote:This is like a foreign language to me and I really am trying to keep up but I guess I am just completely lost.
Don't worry. Keep working with Rainmeter and you'll get used with all these notions.
Riseup44 wrote:If this is the code I am looking at where is it that I would change those few things you posted?
If you're refering to SilverAzide's reply (which I think you do), find the [measureNetIn] and [measureNetOut] measures in your code and add there the UseBits=1 options. Then you have to refresh your skin (right click it and click Refresh skin).
Riseup44 wrote:Where does it give me the option to choose Mbps? I do appreciate any help you guys offer because this is really tough to understand for someone that is not familiar with this sort of thing so i do thank you.
The String meters which have set the AutoScale=1 option, do automatically the scaling. You don't have to do anything for this. Details: https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual-beta/meters/string/#AutoScale
Riseup44

Post by Riseup44 »

balala wrote:Don't worry. Keep working with Rainmeter and you'll get used with all these notions.

If you're refering to SilverAzide's reply (which I think you do), find the [measureNetIn] and [measureNetOut] measures in your code and add there the UseBits=1 options. Then you have to refresh your skin (right click it and click Refresh skin).

The String meters which have set the AutoScale=1 option, do automatically the scaling. You don't have to do anything for this. Details: https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual-beta/meters/string/#AutoScale

Thanks I will see if i can figure that out and report back
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Riseup44 wrote:Thanks I will see if i can figure that out and report back
Ok, if you can't figure them out, tell us exactly what can't you and probably someone here on the forum will try to help you.
Riseup44

Post by Riseup44 »

yeah i screwed it all up.. I am clearly not adding or replacing that in the correct area because now it says %1B/s where it used to say my up and down speeds in B so I am back at square 1... Its really too bad there isn't a already made skin that shows your Upload and Download skin and has the option to click what you want it read in without having to mess with any of the code because it is pretty intimidating for those of us who have never used it before. I am absolutely clueless what i just did and now it seems it is broken so...
Riseup44

Post by Riseup44 »

balala wrote:Ok, if you can't figure them out, tell us exactly what can't you and probably someone here on the forum will try to help you.

Is this the part of the code that I am adding or changing something? (Cont. next page)

[measureNetIn]
Measure=NetIn
NetInSpeed=#MaxDownload#

[measureNetOut]
Measure=NetOut
NetOutSpeed=#MaxUpload#
Last edited by Riseup44 on June 17th, 2018, 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.