It is currently April 16th, 2024, 1:59 pm

[Solved] Open or show an image with win 10 Photos app - possible?

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
Mor3bane

[Solved] Open or show an image with win 10 Photos app - possible?

Post by Mor3bane »

Hi, I looked through the Special Folders links and didn't see a "Photos" one.

What I am trying to do is essentially open an image that is part of a Quote Plugin slideshow. I would be happy with any option, but the Photos app would be perfect.

I tried some clunky code but got no results. I won't post those since they were just me grasping at straws.

Any help would be appreciated.
Last edited by Mor3bane on May 19th, 2018, 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My DevArt Gallery

There are many ways to be different - there is only one way to be yourself - be amazing at it

The law of averages says what it means; even if you get everything right, you will get something wrong. Therefore; self managing error trapping initiates another set of averages - amongst the errors, some of them will not be errors, instead those instances will appear to be "luck". One cannot complain of the 'appearance' of 'infinite regress of causation', even if it does not have a predictable pattern, only that it requires luck to achieve.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Open or show an image with win 10 Photos app - possible?

Post by jsmorley »

Mor3bane wrote:Hi, I looked through the Special Folders links and didn't see a "Photos" one.

What I am trying to do is essentially open an image that is part of a Quote Plugin slideshow. I would be happy with any option, but the Photos app would be perfect.

I tried some clunky code but got no results. I won't post those since they were just me grasping at straws.

Any help would be appreciated.
I'm not sure there is a way.

You can open the Windows 10 Photos app with a command line like:

explorer.exe shell:appsFolder\Microsoft.Windows.Photos_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App

But I do not believe that this app will accept any parameters, like a file to open, from the command line.

Obviously it's simple if the Photos app is the default for opening images files, but I assume it's not for you, or you probably wouldn't have this question.
Mor3bane

Post by Mor3bane »

That link path is interesting, but all I managed to do is somehow delete the contents of an .ini :o

Is there another option? Say have a skin that opens the image clicked on in its original size? Perhaps with a border?

I've seen that somewhere, but for the life of me, I can't find it.
My DevArt Gallery

There are many ways to be different - there is only one way to be yourself - be amazing at it

The law of averages says what it means; even if you get everything right, you will get something wrong. Therefore; self managing error trapping initiates another set of averages - amongst the errors, some of them will not be errors, instead those instances will appear to be "luck". One cannot complain of the 'appearance' of 'infinite regress of causation', even if it does not have a predictable pattern, only that it requires luck to achieve.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

There are a million ways to attack that, here is one:

Code: Select all

[Rainmeter]
Update=1000
DynamicWindowSize=1
AccurateText=1

[Variables]

[MeterImage]
Meter=Image
ImageName=#@#Images\laughing.jpg
W=200
PreserveAspectRatio=1
LeftMouseUpAction=[!ShowMeterGroup Zoomed][!HideMeter #CURRENTSECTION#][!UpdateMeter MeterBorder][!Redraw]

[MeterZoomed]
Meter=Image
Group=Zoomed
ImageName=#@#Images\laughing.jpg
X=10
Y=10
Hidden=1

[MeterBorder]
Meter=Shape
Group=Zoomed
Shape=Rectangle 12,12,[MeterZoomed:W],[MeterZoomed:H] | StrokeWidth 10 | Stroke Color 150,150,150,255 | Fill Color 0,0,0,0
DynamicVariables=1
Hidden=1
LeftMouseUpAction=[!HideMeterGroup Zoomed][!ShowMeter MeterImage][!UpdateMeter *][!Redraw]
Click to animate:
GIF.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mor3bane

Post by Mor3bane »

That looks good.

The issue remains that the image being clicked on is in a QuotePlugin slide show so the image will be random. That is what is doing my head in. :confused:
My DevArt Gallery

jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Mor3bane wrote:That looks good.

The issue remains that the image being clicked on is in a QuotePlugin slide show so the image will be random. That is what is doing my head in. :confused:
Not much difference... I did tweak the "border" Shape a bit to be more accurate.

[Rainmeter]
Update=1000
DynamicWindowSize=1
AccurateText=1

[Variables]

[MeasureImage]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=QuotePlugin
PathName=%HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%\Pictures\
Subfolders=1
FileFilter=*.jpg;*.png;*.gif
UpdateDivider=30

[MeterImage]
Meter=Image
MeasureName=MeasureImage
W=200
PreserveAspectRatio=1
LeftMouseUpAction=[!ShowMeterGroup Zoomed][!HideMeter MeterImage][!UpdateMeter MeterBorder][!Redraw]

[MeterZoomed]
Meter=Image
Group=Zoomed
MeasureName=MeasureImage
X=10
Y=10
Hidden=1

[MeterBorder]
Meter=Shape
Group=Zoomed
Shape=Rectangle 5,5,([MeterZoomed:W]+5),([MeterZoomed:H]+5) | StrokeWidth 10 | Stroke Color 150,150,150,255 | Fill Color 0,0,0,0
DynamicVariables=1
Hidden=1
LeftMouseUpAction=[!HideMeterGroup Zoomed][!ShowMeter MeterImage][!UpdateMeter *][!Redraw]
Mor3bane

Post by Mor3bane »

Hey jsmorely,

I have made a bit of progress with what I was attempting to describe, what you got from my attempt, and what I really meant to ask.

So that is pretty cool.

Instead of reiterating another go at badly describing my goal, I will post some code that is working well, but not fully to my liking. You may recognise a fair bit of it minus the bits you provided in this thread since you helped with this also:

;RoundVariables.inc

[MeasureRandomImage]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=QuotePlugin
PathName=#Photos#
Subfolders=0
FileFilter=*.jpg;*.png;*.gif
UpdateDivider=300

[Variables]
@Include=#@#RoundVariables.inc

[SkinOneParentImageMeter]
LeftMouseUpAction=[!WriteKeyValue "MeterFavorite" "ImageName" "[MeasureRandomImage]" "#SKINSPATH#\Round Meters\SlideShowAndFavorite\Favorite\Favorite.ini"][!Refresh "Round Meters\SlideShowAndFavorite\Favorite"]

;SkinTwoChildImageMeter

[Variables]

[MeterFavorite]
Meter=Image
ImageName=E:\ArtOne\Fuzzies\IMG_0559.JPG
MaskImageName=#@#Mask.png
Y=45
X=46
W=400
H=400
PreserveAspectRatio=1
UseExifOrientation=1
LeftMouseUpAction=[!WriteKeyValue "MeterOpen" "ImageName" "[MeasureRandomImage]" "#SKINSPATH#\Round Meters\SlideShowAndFavorite\OpenImage\Opener.ini"][!Refresh "Round Meters\SlideShowAndFavorite\OpenImage"]

;SkinThreeChildImageMeter

[Variables]
Goth=#Gothic#

[MeterOpen]
Meter=Image
ImageName=E:\ArtOne\Fuzzies\IMG_1214.JPG
Group=Opener
X=5
Y=5
H=1000
PreserveAspectRatio=1
UseExifOrientation=1
RIghtMouseUpAction=[!ToggleMeter MeterOpen]

[MeterBorder]
Meter=Shape
Group=Zoomed
Shape=Rectangle 5,5,([MeterOpen:W]+5),([MeterOpen:H]+5) | StrokeWidth 10 | Stroke Color #Goth# | Fill Color 0,0,0,0
DynamicVariables=1
So skin three is meant to open the image showing in skin two.

What it does: Show a random image based on skin one.

I know why that is, but I can't get my head around another way of getting my desired results.

Am I banging (pun) my head here?
Also, is the reason [!ToggleMeter MeterOpen]is leaving a little upper left corner of itself because I am using[!ToggleMeter MeterOpen]? I would like for the skin to remain active but not visible, since if I close the skin this whole thing seems to stop working. This portion is not really important, I just thought to ask.
Thanks
My DevArt Gallery

eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

Without seeing all of your code, I do not understand what your end result is supposed to be... posting a package of what you currently have and a step-by-step description of what is supposed to happen would definitely help.

If the issue is that the images are random when using the Quote plugin, then I would suggest using the FileView plugin. With it you can read the content of your image folder, put that information into child measures, and use that to control what is displayed, what are favorites, etc.

The small box that remains when you hide [MeterOpen] is probably the shape meter [MeterBorder]; you added 5 pixels to the [MeterOpen:W] & [MeterOpen:H], then hide [MeterOpen] making the W & H equal zero, but you don't hide the shape meter, which is still 5x5 pixels.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

I'm certainly no fan of QuotePlugin, as I find how it does "random", in the sense of throwing dice, rather than in the sense of drawing a card and discarding it, very annoying.

If what you want is a purely random number between a low and high value, that's fine, but be aware that the fewer the numbers there are in the "set", the more likely it is that the same number will come up repeatedly. Try it, roll a single die 6 times, then draw 6 cards from a deck. If what you want is a random number from a "set", where that number is not reused until the set has been completed, then you need a different approach.

I'd use something like this:

[Rainmeter]
Update=1000

[Metadata]
Name=RandomFileImage
Author=JSMorley
Information=Demonstration of the new UniqueRandom option || Change the variables ImagePath and SecondsBetween as desired
Version=Aug 18, 2013
License=Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-Share Alike 3.0

[Variables]
ImagePath=%HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%\Pictures\
SecondsBetween=30

[MeasureFolder]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=FileView
Recursive=2
Path=#ImagePath#
Extensions=jpg;png;bmp
FinishAction=[!EnableMeasure MeasureRandom]

[MeasureCount]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=FileView
Path=[MeasureFolder]
Type=FileCount
OnChangeAction=[!SetOption MeasureRandom HighBound [MeasureCount]]

[MeasureRandom]
Measure=Calc
Formula=Random
UpdateRandom=1
UniqueRandom=1
LowBound=1
UpdateDivider=#SecondsBetween#
OnUpdateAction=[!UpdateMeasure MeasureImagePath][!UpdateMeter *][!Redraw]
Disabled=1

[MeasureImagePath]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=FileView
Path=[MeasureFolder]
Type=FilePath
IgnoreCount=1
Index=[MeasureRandom]
UpdateDivider=-1
DynamicVariables=1

[MeterImage]
Meter=Image
W=200
H=125
X=5
Y=5
SolidColor=60,60,60,255
Padding=10,10,10,10
MeasureName=MeasureImagePath
PreserveAspectRatio=2
TooltipText=[MeasureImagePath]
LeftMouseUpAction=["[MeasureImagePath]"]
DynamicVariables=1
Mor3bane

Post by Mor3bane »

eclectic-tech wrote:Without seeing all of your code, I do not understand what your end result is supposed to be... posting a package of what you currently have and a step-by-step description of what is supposed to happen would definitely help.

If the issue is that the images are random when using the Quote plugin, then I would suggest using the FileView plugin. With it you can read the content of your image folder, put that information into child measures, and use that to control what is displayed, what are favorites, etc.

The small box that remains when you hide [MeterOpen] is probably the shape meter [MeterBorder]; you added 5 pixels to the [MeterOpen:W] & [MeterOpen:H], then hide [MeterOpen] making the W & H equal zero, but you don't hide the shape meter, which is still 5x5 pixels.
AAAHHH! no, no lol. The random thing is absolutely fine!! I thought I posted all the relevant code for what I am trying to do.
here is pseudo code run down:

skin one - quoteplugin merrily displays a suitably random image - this is a single skin

skin two = grabs the current skin one image with a left mouse click - viola! image remains static in a separate skin.

skin three - grabs the static image from skin two with a left mouse click and sends it to this skin three which is able to be dragged around and has a finite height of H=1000 and no W at all but has a maintainaspectratio=1 value set. This one uses the border jsmorely provided.

So three skins all share a variables.ini where the quoteplugin measure resides, so they can all see/use it.

All of the above works but not exactly because the way i coded it - skin three relies on the same quoteplugin measure as the other two. BUT, I need it to be grabbing the skin two image. The paradox is there is no measure in that skin!

Does *this* make sense? I know, I know, a three-way capitalist regime where only two get along - the third cant seem to make any friends. (i love analogies).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My DevArt Gallery