It is currently March 19th, 2024, 2:23 am

How to get help on the forums

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
jsmorley
Developer

How to get help on the forums

Post by jsmorley »

So you have a problem with a skin you are using or writing, and would like to get some help from the Rainmeter community. People here are glad to help, but you need to do a few things to help us to help you.

Use a clear Subject for your post

Subject lines like "I need help!" or "My skin is broken!" are not helpful, either initially, or later when someone is searching the forums for a problem and solution similar to what they are experiencing. Pointless attempts to grab attention with your Subject line is as likely to have the post ignored as it is to get some kind of squeaky-wheel attention. Use a Subject line that gives some hint about what the question is about at first glance.

Clearly explain the question. Be as specific as possible

Take some time to describe the problem you are having, or what you are unclear how to do, in as clear and specific a way as you can. Be sure you describe specifically what the skin you are working on isn't doing right, and what behavior you do expect. If you want advice on how to accomplish something in Rainmeter, be clear about what you are trying to do. Playing 20-questions, or bring-me-a-rock, will only slow things down, and frustrate those trying to help you.

Post a link to any downloaded skin you are asking about

Save yourself and everyone else some time. If you are having problems with a skin you downloaded from somewhere, like deviantART, include a link to the file in your post. Trust me, it's going to be the very first thing anyone trying to help you is going to ask for.

Example:

Code: Select all

[url]https://jsmorley.deviantart.com/art/TextClock-2-1-609165064[/url]
Result:
https://jsmorley.deviantart.com/art/TextClock-2-1-609165064

Post your code, or attach a .zip of your skin folder

If you are working on a skin you are modifying or writing yourself, it is important that you post your code. Here is the key to this, post everything that is needed to actually run your skin and test it.

That might be just the skin .ini code, which you can include by pasting it in code tags in your message.

Example:

[code]
[Rainmeter]
Update=1000
[/code]
Result:

[Rainmeter]
Update=1000
But if your skin has @Include files, or images, or any other external resources needed to run and test the skin, create a .zip of your entire skin folder, and attach that to the post.
1.jpg
Remember, nobody can help you if we can't see what you are seeing when the skin is loaded.

Copy and paste any potentially useful errors or warnings from the Rainmeter log

Open the About / Log dialog from the Rainmeter Notification Area tray icon.
2.jpg
Quite often, errors in the log are the best clue as to what is going on.

Attach screenshots!

Using the same method as attaching a .zip file, you can attach any screenshots that help demonstrate the problem you are having. Remember, a picture is worth a thousand words and all that...

Post information about your version of Rainmeter and your version of Windows

It can save a lot of time and head-scratching if the people helping you know what environment you are running the skin in. Open the About / Version dialog from the Rainmeter Notification Area tray icon, and use the "Copy to clipboard" button to put this useful information in the Windows clipboard. Then just paste it in your post.

Rainmeter 4.3.0.3273 beta (64-bit)
Language: English (1033)
Build time: 2019-01-03 8:50:26
Commit Hash: d51b0947
Windows 10 Pro 1809 64-bit (build 17763) - English (1033)
Path: C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\
SkinPath: C:\Users\Jeffrey\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\
SettingsPath: C:\Users\Jeffrey\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\
IniFile: C:\Users\Jeffrey\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.ini
Sheeba46

Re: How to get help on the forums

Post by Sheeba46 »

I am sorry. I am relatively new to Rainmeter.
I have a problem
and I want to know please how to start a new posting.
Cheers

Sheeba46
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Sheeba46 wrote: January 4th, 2019, 11:55 pm and I want to know please how to start a new posting.
Open the Help: Rainmeter Skins section of this forum. Click the New Topic button. If you're not logged in, it'll ask you to log in, otherwise you can post your question.
Szoli

Post by Szoli »

Balala.
I wrote in Hungarian on your website.I'd be happy to help you.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Szoli wrote: January 5th, 2019, 5:30 pm Balala.
I wrote in Hungarian on your website.I'd be happy to help you.
Not sure, where have you wrote?
ShobanChiddarth

Post by ShobanChiddarth »

Thats fine but I dont get the button to post a new topic. Can someone please tell me how to do it?
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

ShobanChiddarth wrote: May 6th, 2021, 10:45 am Thats fine but I dont get the button to post a new topic. Can someone please tell me how to do it?
1.png
ShobanChiddarth

Post by ShobanChiddarth »

Ohh, got it