It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:04 am

Powerplugin.dll not working after overclock

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
StavrosPro

Powerplugin.dll not working after overclock

Post by StavrosPro »

So I am using a simple code to display CPU MHz but there is a problem. I have used ASUS' 5-Way Optimization software (the one that overclocks the CPU for you) to overclock my CPU and now the display is stuck to stock speeds for some reason. Any ideas? Here is my code:

Code: Select all

[MeasureCPUMHz]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=Plugins\PowerPlugin.dll
PowerState=MHZ

[l.MHz]
Meter=STRING
MeasureName=MeasureCPUMHz
X=5
Y=5
FontColor=#fontColor.Text#
FontSize=#FontHeight#
FontFace=#FontName#
Prefix="Intel Core i7 8700K @ "
Postfix="MHz"
AntiAlias=1
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Powerplugin.dll not working after overclock

Post by balala »

Do you have installed the CoreTemp app? Because its plugin (CoreTemp plugin) also can be used to get the CPU frequency. Would be interesting to see how does a such plugin measure works. But this plugin can be used only if the appropriate app is installed and runs in background.
StavrosPro

Post by StavrosPro »

balala wrote:Do you have installed the CoreTemp app? Because its plugin (CoreTemp plugin) also can be used to get the CPU frequency. Would be interesting to see how does a such plugin measure works. But this plugin can be used only if the appropriate app is installed and runs in background.
I assume this is the correct code now:

[MeasureCPUMHz]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=Plugins\CoreTemp.dll
PowerState=CPUSpeed
It gives me back 40-45MHz depending on load. I guess this is the speed without multiplying with BusSpeed, right? What am I doing wrong here?
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

StavrosPro wrote:I assume this is the correct code now:

[MeasureCPUMHz]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=Plugins\CoreTemp.dll
PowerState=CPUSpeed
It gives me back 40-45MHz depending on load. I guess this is the speed without multiplying with BusSpeed, right? What am I doing wrong here?
No, it's not. The PowerState option belongs to the Power plugin and can't be used on the CoreTemp. On a such measure you should have to use instead the CoreTempType option. So replace the PowerState=CPUSpeed option with CoreTempType=CPUSpeed. Because on these plugin measures a PowerState option doesn't exists, the measure used the default CoreTempType option, which is the MaxTemperature and the measure returned "the current temperature of the hottest of all cores". This was (is) 40 - 45 degrees (probably, or certainly Celsius). If the speed would be returned it wouldn't be multiplied with nothing at all. If you replace the option does it show the appropriate speed (it is shown in MHz - but this can be scaled on a String meter).
Just one more (although this doesn't prevent the measure to work properly): replace the Plugin=Plugins\CoreTemp.dll option with the much simpler Plugin=CoreTemp, which is completely enough.
StavrosPro

Post by StavrosPro »

balala wrote:No, it's not. The PowerState option belongs to the Power plugin and can't be used on the CoreTemp. On a such measure you should have to use instead the CoreTempType option. So replace the PowerState=CPUSpeed option with CoreTempType=CPUSpeed. Because on these plugin measures a PowerState option doesn't exists, the measure used the default CoreTempType option, which is the MaxTemperature and the measure returned "the current temperature of the hottest of all cores". This was (is) 40 - 45 degrees (probably, or certainly Celsius). If the speed would be returned it wouldn't be multiplied with nothing at all. If you replace the option does it show the appropriate speed (it is shown in MHz - but this can be scaled on a String meter).
Just one more (although this doesn't prevent the measure to work properly): replace the Plugin=Plugins\CoreTemp.dll option with the much simpler Plugin=CoreTemp, which is completely enough.
Now it's all good, thanks for the help.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Glad to help. But still would be curious why the initial issue with the Power Plugin appeared. I never "overclocked" a CPU, so I can't say many things about this, but definitely would be curious...