It is currently April 20th, 2024, 1:07 pm

skins will not install

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
billyg0237

skins will not install

Post by billyg0237 »

after downloading new skins they will not install. files will open but will not install. what am I doing wrong?
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: skins will not install

Post by balala »

billyg0237 wrote:after downloading new skins they will not install. files will open but will not install. what am I doing wrong?
What browser are you using? What is the extension of the downloaded files?
billyg0237

Post by billyg0237 »

I'm downloading skins from deviantART. After I down load them I'm asked what do I want to do with the file. Open, save or save as. If I choose open I'm taken to the file but can't install it. It's they have no installer or exe.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

billyg0237 wrote:I'm downloading skins from deviantART. After I down load them I'm asked what do I want to do with the file. Open, save or save as. If I choose open I'm taken to the file but can't install it. It's they have no installer or exe.
Probably you're using IE as web browser, right?
Try to open one of those files (with any unzipping app). If it's a standart skin installer (and probably it is, if you've downloaded it from DeviantArt), it should have to contain a RMSKIN.ini file and at least one folder, named Skins (but also can be there folders named Plugins, Layout, or so on). The Skins folder should have to contain a folder named so as the skin.
If the above facts are true, change the extension of the downloaded file from .zip to .rmskin and you can install it with a double click.
billyg0237

Post by billyg0237 »

You had it right. And I thought all browsers did the same thing. stupid me.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

I noticed such behavior with IE a while ago, but didn't with other browsers. But neither this always. Couldn't figure out when or when not. This is a mystery...