It is currently March 29th, 2024, 9:29 am

[Rebooted] Re: Can I extract the position of a skin to use as a variable?

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
jsmorley
Developer

Re: [Rebooted] Re: Can I extract the position of a skin to use as a variable?

Post by jsmorley »

Yeah, sorry balala, I may not have been clear. What I should have said is that "while you certainly can have one skin cause other skins to follow it when it is dragged, this will NEVER have a satisfactory result."

Even you you set the parent skin to the lowest possible update, and have it furiously firing !Move bangs to all the children skins as fast as possible, once every 16 milliseconds, that is many times slower than Windows Desktop Manager. You can drag a window a long way in 16 milliseconds, and all the child skins will just look retarded as they attempt follow it around like confused ducklings.
Mor3bane

Post by Mor3bane »

jsmorley wrote:Yeah, sorry balala, I may not have been clear. What I should have said is that "while you certainly can have one skin cause other skins to follow it when it is dragged, this will NEVER have a satisfactory result."

Even you you set the parent skin to the lowest possible update, and have it furiously firing !Move bangs to all the children skins as fast as possible, once every 16 milliseconds, that is many times slower than Windows Desktop Manager. You can drag a window a long way in 16 milliseconds, and all the child skins will just look retarded as they attempt follow it around like confused ducklings.
Agreed. From my experimentations it became evident that the child skin would eventually lose its place and begin boggling behind at some seemingly random location.
My DevArt Gallery

There are many ways to be different - there is only one way to be yourself - be amazing at it

The law of averages says what it means; even if you get everything right, you will get something wrong. Therefore; self managing error trapping initiates another set of averages - amongst the errors, some of them will not be errors, instead those instances will appear to be "luck". One cannot complain of the 'appearance' of 'infinite regress of causation', even if it does not have a predictable pattern, only that it requires luck to achieve.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Mor3bane wrote:Agreed. From my experimentations it became evident that the child skin would eventually lose its place and begin boggling behind at some seemingly random location.
Right, that is because you will quickly overwhelm the event queue in Rainmeter, and events will be "skipped".

A Rainmeter skin is actually a "window", and when you drag one, it's not Rainmeter that is handling that, it is Windows itself, and is as "close to the metal" as you can get. It's kinda the entire point of the OS. Rainmeter is an "application", and is several layers removed from the world that the Desktop Window Manager works in.
Mor3bane

Post by Mor3bane »

jsmorley wrote:Right, that is because you will quickly overwhelm the event queue in Rainmeter, and events will be "skipped".

A Rainmeter skin is actually a "window", and when you drag one, it's not Rainmeter that is handling that, it is Windows itself, and is as "close to the metal" as you can get. It's kinda the entire point of the OS. Rainmeter is an "application", and is several layers removed from the world that the Desktop Window Manager works in.
Being first-handedly familiar with Windows application programming, that is absolutely accurate. That is what makes Rainmeter so much more fun. The results are virtually "instant" and do not require compiling of any kind - other than saving the ini or inc file after edits are made. Thanks jsmorely.
My DevArt Gallery

There are many ways to be different - there is only one way to be yourself - be amazing at it

The law of averages says what it means; even if you get everything right, you will get something wrong. Therefore; self managing error trapping initiates another set of averages - amongst the errors, some of them will not be errors, instead those instances will appear to be "luck". One cannot complain of the 'appearance' of 'infinite regress of causation', even if it does not have a predictable pattern, only that it requires luck to achieve.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

jsmorley wrote:Yeah, sorry balala, I may not have been clear. What I should have said is that "while you certainly can have one skin cause other skins to follow it when it is dragged, this will NEVER have a satisfactory result."

Yes, I didn't think to a such question. I just imagined two skins, both with the normal (default) Update. In this case, the child skin would follow the parent indeed not too quickly, but at least would follow it.
Anyway, in such idea, yes, probably the follow procedure wouldn't be too much efficient.