It is currently April 26th, 2024, 11:17 pm

Setvaribale from a skin into a file in @resources folder

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
Gangula

Setvaribale from a skin into a file in @resources folder

Post by Gangula »

I would like to use the position of a skin as a global variable for the rest of the skins, so that if I change the position of the main skin, it changes the variables in the other skins. So I want to use the set-variable function to set a variable in the variables.inc file in @Resources folder.

Can I do this?
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Setvaribale from a skin into a file in @resources folder

Post by balala »

Gangula wrote:I would like to use the position of a skin as a global variable for the rest of the skins, so that if I change the position of the main skin, it changes the variables in the other skins. So I want to use the set-variable function to set a variable in the variables.inc file in @Resources folder.

Can I do this?
https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?p=146511#p146511

Code: Select all

[MeasureXY]
Measure=Calc
Formula=( #CURRENTCONFIGX# + #CURRENTCONFIGY# )
OnChangeAction=[!WriteKeyValue Variables X "#CURRENTCONFIGX#" "#@#variables.inc"][!WriteKeyValue Variables Y "#CURRENTCONFIGY#" "#@#variables.inc"]
DynamicVariables=1
This approach has the disadvantage that all other skins must be refreshed, if you want to make them to use the value of the newly written variable.
For direct use, you can add further !SetVariable bangs to the above OnChangeAction option, to besides writing them into the variables.inc file, also set them dynamically. Again one disadvantage: you have to add so many !SetVariable bangs, as many skins you have loaded, one for each of them.
Eg: OnChangeAction=[!WriteKeyValue Variables X "#CURRENTCONFIGX#" "#@#variables.inc"][!WriteKeyValue Variables Y "#CURRENTCONFIGY#" "#@#variables.inc"][!SetVariable X "#CURRENTCONFIGX#" "ProperConfig"][!SetVariable Y "#CURRENTCONFIGY#" "ProperConfig"]. The two !SetVariable bangs above will set the new value of the X and Y variable in the loaded skin of the ProperConfig, not in the current skin (due to the last parameter of both bangs). Beside this, the two WriteKeyValue bangs write the same value into the variables.inc file, so these values can also be used, even after a refresh of the skin(s).
ChicknwithNoName

Post by ChicknwithNoName »

Gangula wrote:I would like to use the position of a skin as a global variable for the rest of the skins, so that if I change the position of the main skin, it changes the variables in the other skins. So I want to use the set-variable function to set a variable in the variables.inc file in @Resources folder.
I understand what you're asking, but if your goal is to move all skins in unison to the "main" one, why not just set all your skins under the same DragGroup? Hold CTRL+ALT, LEFT click to highlight your "main" skin and the rest will follow?
Gangula

Post by Gangula »

ChicknwithNoName wrote:but if your goal is to move all skins in unison to the "main" one,
I do not want to move all of them in unison, I want to set a variable in all of them that dynamically updates with the location of the main skin.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Gangula wrote:I want to set a variable in all of them that dynamically updates with the location of the main skin.
Then you don't have to use the !WriteKeyValue bangs, just the !SetVariable bangs. Add two of this bang, for each skin (config) in which you'd like to set up the value of the variable. Just don't forget the DynamicVariables=1 option in the meters or measures where you're using the values of the variables.
Gangula

Post by Gangula »

balala wrote:Add two of this bang, for each skin (config) in which you'd like to set up the value of the variable.
So if I would like to use this dynamic variable in 10 skins, I have to add 10 !Setvariable bangs?
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Gangula wrote:So if I would like to use this dynamic variable in 10 skins, I have to add 10 !Setvariable bangs?
Actually 20. Two for each skin. One would set the value of the X and the other the value of the Y variable.
Gangula

Post by Gangula »

Gangula wrote:So if I would like to use this dynamic variable in 10 skins, I have to add 10 !Setvariable bangs?
Isn't there any simpler way that'll make the variable global? Can't we use the! setvariable to set the variable in an. inc file in the @resources folder to use it in all of the skins?
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Gangula wrote:Isn't there any simpler way that'll make the variable global? Can't we use the! setvariable to set the variable in an. inc file in the @resources folder to use it in all of the skins?
As I said before, the !SetVariable sets dynamically a value for a variable, not in an .inc file, but in the skins. As I said, you can use the !WriteKeyValue bang to write the value of the variable into a .inc file, but this solution has the disadvantage that each skin using this value MUST be refreshed every time the variable is changing and is rewritten. Not a good solution at all, because refreshing the skins is a very destructive operation, which as much as possible should have to be avoided. There are some situations when the refresh is absolutely necessary, but I doubt this would be a such case.
But writing the appropriate bangs is not too hard. Have to write one pair (one for the X and the other for the Y variable), then copy and paste them so many as many times you need them. Then have to modify the Config parameters.
Gangula

Post by Gangula »

Okay, Thank you. Really helps