It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:03 pm

Creating Rainmeter Notification Application

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
mobileqa

Creating Rainmeter Notification Application

Post by mobileqa »

Is there a way to use Rainmeter to be configured to act as a pop-up notifications viewer via Windows 10 desktop. I want the ability to view pop-up notifications via the desktop when changes are made on the server-side to push out new content.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Creating Rainmeter Notification Application

Post by jsmorley »

It depends on how you want to structure this. You can have a skin on the local desktop in Rainmeter that can either read a file on a remote server via HTTP, or directly if you can use a network URI path to get to it. Then have the server process write to this file with whatever you need, certainly including a timestamp. The local Rainmeter skin would periodically read this file, parse it, and react to "new" messages based on the timestamp.

In any case, once you are able to get the local Rainmeter to detect that something "new" has happened, it's not hard to have it pop-up, slide out, sound alarms, whatever you need.

I'd need to know more about what you have in mind, a bit more "step by step"
mobileqa

Post by mobileqa »

Okay Here's the setup

Application:
I have a rainmeter skin already built out to read and parse a JSON file on the server and display only the "Title" information from the JSON file as a clickable link to an article. I want the ability to have the Rainmeter application pop-up slide etc... when the JSON file is updated. The user has the ability to close the rainmeter application via a close button, but when the JSON file is updated I need the rainmeter application to pop-up again on the desktop.

My Question:
- How do I achieve the pop-up animation etc...
- How do I code to listen for changes to the JSON file (The local Rainmeter skin would periodically read this file, parse it, and react to "new" messages based on the timestamp.)
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Do you have complete control over the server-side of this deal? It would be easiest if the json "entry" had a timestamp of some flavor, it can be a Unix EPOC timestamp, a Windows FILETIME timestamp, or a formatted date/time like "Jan 1, 2108 08:32:00" in pretty much any format you want. It MUST reflect both the date and exact time to the second.

Then the skin would read this file with WebParser, and get the timestamp from the "latest" entry to the json file. It would then do the following:

1) Look for a [Variable], maybe called LatestTime or something, that would have a timestamp as its value, and see if the timestamp from the json is "newer" than that variable.

If it is, then

a) trigger the animation / alert stuff. We can get to that in a bit.
b) physically write the timestamp from the json to that Variable in the skin
c) refresh the skin

If it is not, then

a) do nothing

So if a "new" timestamp shows up in the json, the skin will detect that and do animation stuff, followed by physically writing the new timestamp to the variable in the file.

What this means is that you can't react to "specific" entries in the json, only the "latest".

Does this sound like what you have in mind?
mobileqa

Post by mobileqa »

This is spot on. Yes I do have access to the Server-Side. As far as the scripting go where can I find info on language to do all the server checks.

Questions:
- As far as the server-side go, what do i need to control
- How to implement animation (documentation etc....)
- As far as the scripting go where can I find info on language to do all the server checks.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

You are not going to be able to have Rainmeter react to a change in the json file if it is not running. The sever simply CANNOT execute an application on the local PC.
mobileqa

Post by mobileqa »

Okay, so having a close button is pointless. Is there a way to but Rainmeter application in background , not visible to user until a update to json? So since rainmeter application still have to be active/visible how does the pop-up animation work look etc....
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

mobileqa wrote:Okay, so having a close button is pointless. Is there a way to but Rainmeter application in background , not visible to user until a update to json? So since rainmeter application still have to be active/visible how does the pop-up animation work look etc....
Sure, but let's get to the mechanics of the skin in a bit. First, do you have an example of the json you are proposing to use? I'd like to see that so I can help with how to read it and detect if the latest entry is "new".
mobileqa

Post by mobileqa »

The Skin is pretty simple. I'm just parsing the JSON to display the "Title" and referencing the URL to make the Title Clickable. I already have the RegEX working for this part.

JSON:

Code: Select all

[{
"id": 1,
"title": "Title 1",
"description": "description one",
"url": "",
"active": true,
"created_at": "03/22/2018 22:00",
"updated_at": "03/22/2018 22:00"
},
{
"id": 2,
"title": "Title 2",
"description": "description two",
"active": false,
}
]
Last edited by Brian on March 28th, 2018, 1:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Please use [code] tags.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

mobileqa wrote:The Skin is pretty simple. I'm just parsing the JSON to display the "Title" and referencing the URL to make the Title Clickable. I already have the RegEX working for this part.

JSON:

Code: Select all

[{
"id": 1,
"title": "Title 1",
"description": "description one",
"active": true,
},
{
"id": 2,
"title": "Title 2",
"description": "description two",
"active": false,
}
]
So what you really want is to react to ANY of these entries being "new"?