It is currently April 20th, 2024, 7:58 am

Uploading to DA and file size.

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
JediWarrior

Uploading to DA and file size.

Post by JediWarrior »

Hi all. Ive got a 257MB that I want to upload to sta.sh file on DA but get told its a 200MB limit. Anyone know how I can get it uploaded apart from cutting it in half ?...lol.....:17nodding :17nodding :17drums :17drums :17nodding :17nodding
It has been scientifically proven that racists,homophobes and all bigots are considerably less intelligent than people who see difference as a positive thing. The report also states that this is especially true of people who wont accept this as a fact but still deny being a racist, homophobe or bigot. :p :p :p
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Uploading to DA and file size.

Post by eclectic-tech »

257 MB! ... That's a lot of stuff! :jawdrop

Not sure what you have in there, but I would start by looking at your images and convert them to JPG format.
That should reduce the overall file size dramatically if you have a lot of images. :D

Sound files can also take a lot of room; perhaps offer them as an optional download apart from the rmskin;
many people find sounds that are forced on them to be very irritating. :thumbdown:

Those should get you down to a reasonable size upload. :welcome:

Aside: A skin package of 257 MB is going to be a challenge for many end users to want to download. I would look at any way you can to minimize the package size. Under 20 MB is a good target, I would try to get it even lower! :x
fonpaolo

Post by fonpaolo »

eclectic-tech wrote:257 MB! ... That's a lot of stuff! :jawdrop
Aside: A skin package of 257 MB is going to be a challenge for many end users to want to download. I would look at any way you can to minimize the package size. Under 20 MB is a good target, I would try to get it even lower! :x
I completely agree with eclectic-tech. :17what
JediWarrior

Post by JediWarrior »

Thanks for that 'll do my best. If I convert the .png image files to jpg will they still be ok to use for animation etc ? and that seems like a good idea about the sounds. I feel stupid cuz I've never really thought about the file size or the fact that it could put people off[or probably would] Any way Thanks again and theres little doubt that you'll probably hear from me soon, one way or another. :17nodding :17nodding :17drums :17drums :17nodding :17nodding
It has been scientifically proven that racists,homophobes and all bigots are considerably less intelligent than people who see difference as a positive thing. The report also states that this is especially true of people who wont accept this as a fact but still deny being a racist, homophobe or bigot. :p :p :p
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

JediWarrior wrote:If I convert the .png image files to jpg will they still be ok to use for animation etc ?
We don't know what image files do you have there, but don't forget that .jpg doesn't support transparent background, as .png does. I'd add just that you probably don't even save too much space, .png being same way as the .jpg, already compressed. Depends on more things, but I don't think.
fonpaolo

Post by fonpaolo »

As balala said, png files are the best choice.
All I can think, is that you've done some "animations", using a lot of images and with a big size.
After a quick test, however, the same jpg image, 1920x1080, converted in png... is bigger, 1,24 MB vs 1,86 MB!
...so, if you've done what I think, you've to find the right balancing between image dimensions and animation lenght.
JediWarrior

Post by JediWarrior »

Thanks for all that you've all taught me more tonight than I could hope for. This really is my first attempt to write code since I wrote mega simple programs in basic on an Apple IIe. John, that may ring a bell with you all these youngsters dont know what they've missed out on. Any way thanks... :17nodding :17nodding :17drums :17drums :17nodding :17nodding
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Upload the file to any file host site (eg FileFactory.com, but there are many others, too) and post the link here. I'd like to see its content.
JediWarrior

Post by JediWarrior »

Hello All,
Sorry for the delay in answering but been laid up for a few days and not able to communicate intelligently so I've just been quiet. Anyway thanks so much for your guidance but the problem is solved. I went through each folder 1 by 1 and eventually found a completely spurious and unrelated file dumped in one of my image files. Can't figure out how it got there I just feel really stupid 'cuz I didn't realize about the file size. But Hey Ho it's sorted now and again Thanks..
:17good :17good :17drums :17drums :17nodding :17nodding
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

:17good