It is currently April 20th, 2024, 2:56 pm

Just tried to put quote on desktop by this tutorial...

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
lopasik

Just tried to put quote on desktop by this tutorial...

Post by lopasik »

So by this tutorial: https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/35980/how-to-display-a-quote-on-your-desktop-using-rainmeter/ I found becouse I wanted to put some text on my desktop. I already created the folder StaticQuote and .ini file with it. But I cant damn find the application called Rainbrowser nowhere. And so I though maybe you removed it in newer versions becouse in wasnt important, so I tried to manage it in this window:
I was really trying to find the folder StaticQuote in this hiearchy but without any luck. It looks like there is not any refresh option either. Im I doing something wrong??
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CyberTheWorm

Re: Just tried to put quote on desktop by this tutorial...

Post by CyberTheWorm »

Did you put the folder in the following folder?

C:\Users\<ENTERYOURUSERNAME>\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins
The only source of knowledge is experience. Albert Einstein
Deviant Art Page
lopasik

Post by lopasik »

Okay so i found the solution, instead of creating .ini file myself I copied clock .ini file from one of illustro widgets and pasted it in StaticQuote folder, renamed it and changed its content. Then program automatically sensored the new file and I was able to load it.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

lopasik wrote:Okay so i found the solution, instead of creating .ini file myself I copied clock .ini file from one of illustro widgets and pasted it in StaticQuote folder, renamed it and changed its content. Then program automatically sensored the new file and I was able to load it.
The problem is with Windows and Notepad. By default Windows "hides" the extensions for "known file types" (which is stupid beyond belief and you should change that setting). Then in Notepad, it defaults to saving files as "Text files (.txt). So in Notepad, when you create a .ini file and you put the name MySkin.ini and hit enter, it saves it as MySkin.ini.txt. You won't see this obvious problem in File Explorer, since... see "stupid beyond belief" above...

http://kb.winzip.com/kb/entry/26/http://kb.winzip.com/kb/entry/26/
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

CyberTheWorm wrote:Did you put the folder in the following folder?

C:\Users\<ENTERYOURUSERNAME>\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins
Just as an off-topic, the Documents folder isn't always located at C:\Users\<ENTERYOURUSERNAME>\. Mine for example has the following path: D:\Documents.
Appropriately the path of the Skins folder is: D:\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\
In Rainmeter, the following identifier can be used to open the Skins folder: [Shell:::{A8CDFF1C-4878-43be-B5FD-F8091C1C60D0}\Rainmeter\Skins]