It is currently April 26th, 2024, 1:27 pm

Parsed string from weather.com

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
Mor3bane

Parsed string from weather.com

Post by Mor3bane »

Hi, so i have entered a couple topics in relation to a new feature of a weather skin.

This being the latest is in relation to a parsed string from weather.com.

I have a timestamp that is formatted [mm/dd/yy hh:mm am/pm timezone]

All i really wish to have is the [hh:mm am/pm] part.

Since the string is parsed from a rather long RegExp, there should be a Substitute= for the Measure=Plugin
Plugin=Plugins\WebParser.dll
measure?

What would that look like?

I am terrible at this sort of thing. Perhaps one day I will figure it out on my own...
My DevArt Gallery

There are many ways to be different - there is only one way to be yourself - be amazing at it

The law of averages says what it means; even if you get everything right, you will get something wrong. Therefore; self managing error trapping initiates another set of averages - amongst the errors, some of them will not be errors, instead those instances will appear to be "luck". One cannot complain of the 'appearance' of 'infinite regress of causation', even if it does not have a predictable pattern, only that it requires luck to achieve.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Parsed string from weather.com

Post by jsmorley »

Mor3bane wrote:Hi, so i have entered a couple topics in relation to a new feature of a weather skin.

This being the latest is in relation to a parsed string from weather.com.

I have a timestamp that is formatted [mm/dd/yy hh:mm am/pm timezone]

Since the string is parsed from a rather long RegExp, there should be a Substitute= for the Measure=Plugin
measure?

What would that look like?

I am terrible at this sort of thing. Perhaps one day I will figure it out on my own...
So if I fake it with a String measure:

Code: Select all

[MeasureString]
Measure=String
String=[01/31/18 14:06 am EST]
RegExpSubstitute=1
Substitute="^\[(.*) .*$":"\1"
1.png
The works because I am allowing the regular expression to by default be "greedy", so what it is saying is:

Substitute="^\[(.*) .*$":"\1"

Start at the beginning of the string ^ and find a [ character, which must be escaped \ because it is a reserved character in regular expression. Then capture all characters (.*) until the last space is found, then skip all characters .* until the end of the string $. Replace the entire string with what I captured as capture group #1 \1.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Extra credit:

If you in fact want to keep the [ and ] characters at the start and end, that is a bit tricky.

The issue is that using "[\1]" as the "replacement" has a problem. Anything inside [brackets] in an option will attempt to resolve to a [SectionVariable], and you will end up with just [] as there is no measure called [\1]. So we need to fool it into not trying to do that.

[MeasureString]
Measure=String
String=[01/31/18 14:06 am EST]
RegExpSubstitute=1
Substitute="^(.*) .*$":"\1]"
So we go ahead and let it (capture) the leading [ character, then just force a trailing ] character at the end of the "repalcement", so we end up with:
1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Mor3bane wrote:I have a timestamp that is formatted [mm/dd/yy hh:mm am/pm timezone]

I think a better solution would be to get separately the month, the day, year, hour, minutes am/pm and the time zone, then use the needed information, from these. Probably the RegExp option of the parent WebParser measure could be modified to get those values one by one, instead of the whole date-time string. This would avoid the need of the substitution.
Mor3bane wrote:Since the string is parsed from a rather long RegExp, there should be a Substitute= for the Measure=Plugin
measure?
WebParser isn't any more a plugin, it's a measure now.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

balala wrote:I think a better solution would be to get separately the month, the day, year, hour, minutes am/pm and the time zone, then use the needed information, from these. Probably the RegExp option of the parent WebParser measure could be modified to get those values one by one, instead of the whole date-time string. This would avoid the need of the substitution.

WebParser isn't any more a plugin, it's a measure now.
I think that would be quite tricky to get and keep the [ and ] characters that he specified are part of the string, but yes, in principle I agree with you. I was just responding to the question as it was framed.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

jsmorley wrote:I think that would be quite tricky to get and keep the [ and ] characters that he specified are part of the string, but yes, in principle I agree with you. I was just responding to the question as it was framed.
Are those brackets part of the got information? I'm not sure they would be.
However, I also took that solution into account, but finally I thought getting separately those information would be a better one. But if it indeed is, depends on a few things, so let's see what Mor3bane will say.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

balala wrote:Are those brackets part of the got information? I'm not sure they would be.
However, I also took that solution into account, but finally I thought getting separately those information would be a better one. But if it indeed is, depends on a few things, so let's see what Mor3bane will say.
Yes, the other issue with parsing them separately is that we can't be sure just from what he said if it would be:

[01/31/18 03:06 am EST]

or

[1/31/18 3:06 am EST]

Then we are into some complicated regular expression I fear.

But if his intent is to ever use this information to determine "how old" some entry is, it's pointless to get the entire string, as then you just add tons of work to tear it apart later into the elements you need to derive a timestamp from a Time measure. As you say, we need more clarity on this.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

jsmorley wrote:Yes, the other issue with parsing them separately is that we can't be sure just from what he said if it would be:

[01/31/18 03:06 am EST]

or

[1/31/18 3:06 am EST]

Then we are into some complicated regular expression I fear.
Right. Let's see what tell Mor3bane.
Mor3bane

Post by Mor3bane »

Hi,
Wow. Thanks for the replies.
The "[]" were simply put in to identify the actual output of my weather meter. The code:

[MeasureTimeStamp]
Measure=Plugin
Url=[MeasureCurrent]
StringIndex=15
UpdateDivider=50

[MeterTimeStamp]
Meter=String
MeasureName=MeasureTimeStamp
FontFace=#Font#
FontColor=#ColorZ#
FontSize=20
StringAlign=Center
X=168
Y=85
Text=%1
AntiAlias=1
So I am not using the String Measure, but a String Meter.

The actual output is by example like this:
2/01/18 8:00 AM PEST
That is the literal output from the code shown above, at the time of my posting it - spaces included as seen in the skin output.
I was trying to get the time and am or pm definer only for the final output.
My DevArt Gallery

There are many ways to be different - there is only one way to be yourself - be amazing at it

The law of averages says what it means; even if you get everything right, you will get something wrong. Therefore; self managing error trapping initiates another set of averages - amongst the errors, some of them will not be errors, instead those instances will appear to be "luck". One cannot complain of the 'appearance' of 'infinite regress of causation', even if it does not have a predictable pattern, only that it requires luck to achieve.
Mor3bane

Post by Mor3bane »

balala wrote: WebParser isn't any more a plugin, it's a measure now.
I just noticed the statement that the WebParser is no longer a plugin but a measure.
I will edit for the future after consulting the RM Manual to ensure I am doing it right now.
My DevArt Gallery