It is currently April 18th, 2024, 1:15 pm

skins not showing up

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
jsmorley
Developer

Re: skins not showing up

Post by jsmorley »

You might try this:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cantarellaa

Post by cantarellaa »

balala wrote:What you mean by "contour"?
The illustro skins display stuff like the hour on a black rectangle, right? I can see the rectangle only, not the time or whatever the certain skin should show. With some skins I have this problem, some don't show up at all, although they are clickable.
cantarellaa

Post by cantarellaa »

jsmorley wrote:You might try this:
Nothing has happened but thank you anyways.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

There have been isolated cases where a Windows Update to Windows 10 has messed up the "registration" of some fonts that are built into Windows. Illustro uses Trebuchet MS, which is a font included with Windows. I have also seen this with the default Arial font.

I'm not entirely sure what the correct approach is to fix this. I would use that control panel feature I posted above to start, and if that doesn't do it you might try going out to a cmd.exe window "as administrator", and run:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
Run this first, it will take some time...

sfc /scannow
Run this second. It will also take some time, and if it finds and corrects anything, be sure to run it a second time to be sure it comes up "clean".

See if those two tools don't fix things for you.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929833/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system
cantarellaa

Post by cantarellaa »

jsmorley wrote:There have been isolated cases where a Windows Update to Windows 10 has messed up the "registration" of some fonts that are built into Windows. Illustro uses Trebuchet MS, which is a font included with Windows. I have also seen this with the default Arial font.

I'm not entirely sure what the correct approach is to fix this. I would use that control panel feature I posted above to start, and if that doesn't do it you might try going out to a cmd.exe window "as administrator", and run:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
Run this first, it will take some time...

sfc /scannow
Run this second. It will also take some time, and if it finds and corrects anything, be sure to run it a second time to be sure it comes up "clean".

See if those two tools don't fix things for you.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929833/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system
So I've done that and I think that everything is fine? This is what the computer has shown me:
Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.16299.15

Image Version: 10.0.16299.125

[==========================100.0%==========================] The restore operation completed successfully.
The operation completed successfully.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

Also, the skins are still not working.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jckinncik

Post by jckinncik »

balala wrote:jckinncik and cantarellaa,
I'm still confused. If the skins of illusto are still working, but others aren't, there is something weird.
Both of you should check the path of the Skins folder. Right click Rainmeter icon in the Notification Area, click Edit Settings and check the SkinPath variable, within the [Rainmeter] section of the opening Rainmeter.ini file. Is that path the real path of the folder?
How do I check the path of the skin folder?
jckinncik

Post by jckinncik »

Changed the font settings, to note before this started happening Rainmeter was crashing a lot, not sure what the error said though.
jckinncik

Post by jckinncik »

jckinncik wrote:How do I check the path of the skin folder? In the folder section illustro's not even there anymore
jckinncik

Post by jckinncik »

dvo wrote:you can try this work a round :

Code: Select all

Update on the Windows 10 Creators Update Linked Font Bug

As I previously posted, on behalf of Adobe and its customers, I officially submitted a bug report to Microsoft with regards to this serious problem.

Working closely with one of their Senior Escalation Engineers in their Windows Support organization, Microsoft was readily able to reproduce the problem exactly as I represented it to them.

Good News – Microsoft now acknowledges that this is a bug and that it will be fixed. Apparently the bug was introduced as part of major changes associated with improved security in the boot process.

Bad News – The permanent fix for the bug will appear in the Windows 10 Creators Fall Update, the exact release date TBD. This fix isn't something that is readily exportable as a patch in one of the upcoming monthly updates.

Good News – There is a very reliable workaround, based on a single registry entry, which forces rebuild of the font cache at bootup. The side effect is slightly increased boot time, but if you have a reasonably robust hardware configuration (SSDs, fast processor, a good amount of memory, etc.), this increased boot time should not be that noticeable. (My systems are particularly well-endowed in terms of such resources and also have close to 2000 typefaces installed. I see no noticeable difference in boot times!)

Unfortunately, this forum doesn't provide for attachments and thus, I cannot provide the .reg files directly for you, but if you copy and paste into files, the following should work like a charm:

Use this file Temp_Fix_Windows_10_Creators_Update_LinkedFont_Bug.reg to install the temporary fix:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\GRE_Initialize]
        "DisableFontBootCache"=dword:00000001

Obviously, you will need to reboot your system after having applied this registry change.

Use this file Undo_Temp_Fix_Windows_10_Creators_Update_LinkedFont_Bug.reg to remove the temporary fix (you'll need to use this prior to installing the Windows 10 Creators Fall Update):

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\GRE_Initialize]
        "DisableFontBootCache"=-

Microsoft offered a second workaround which I don't recommend - deleting the fontcache file as part of the logoff process. This effectively accomplishes the same thing with the same increased boot time, but quite frankly, if a system crashes or otherwise reboots without logoff, you can't count on this workaround since a logoff script won't be run.

I'll update this thread if and when I get further information from Microsoft confirming that the fix has been made, tested, and included in the Windows 10 Creators Fall Update (or if miraculously, an earlier fix is made available)!

- Dov Isaacs, Principal Scientist, Adobe Systems Incorporated

Im not running Windows 10 though, should I try this?