It is currently March 28th, 2024, 6:32 pm

MeasureQuote - Can it show short gif - given the image delay would allow?

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
Mor3bane

MeasureQuote - Can it show short gif - given the image delay would allow?

Post by Mor3bane »

I have a MeasureQuote skin, and I would like it to allow multiple images during each image - if they existed.

Having MeasureQuote show short animated gifs would be cool since when a anim gif shows up MQ only shows the first image in one with multiple frames.

Possible?

jsmorley
Developer

Re: MeasureQuote - Can it show short gif - given the image delay would allow?

Post by jsmorley »

This would be possible, but fairly tricky to do.

What you would have to do would be pretty involved.

First, you would need to create separate .png files for each "frame" of the animated .gif file(s). Rainmeter can't natively display animated .gif files. See this for help with that:

https://docs.rainmeter.net/tips/animated-gif-files/

Then you would need to play some tricks with the Quote plugin. Have a folder, and in it put each of your original .gif files. Under that folder create sub-folders that have the "frame" images for each .gif. So something like:

@Resources\gifs
@Resources\gifs\FirstGif.gif
@Resources\gifs\FirstGif\Fame1.png
@Resources\gifs\FirstGif\Fame2.png

Then you would want to have the Quote plugin get the path and name of one of the .gif files, and use Substitute to strip off the .gif extension, so you would be left, in this example, with "@Resources\gifs\FirstGif" as the value.

Then use the approach outlined in that link above, to display the frames of the animation in order.

Something like ImageName=[QuoteMeasureStringValue]\Frame[FrameNumber].png

The real trick, and it would take some thought, is dealing with different .gifs that have different numbers of "frames". If you decide you want to explore this approach, we can chew on that and come up with something that works.

The long and the short of it is that it won't be trivial to do. What I have outlined is not the only way to do it, but with some work I suspect you can get there one way or another.
Mor3bane

Re: MeasureQuote - Can it show short gif - given the image delay would allow?

Post by Mor3bane »

Thanks jsmorely,

I left my memory in the other room. E.g. I forgot that actual gif files cannot be played by rainmeter - I have even posted replies here giving that advice to others. :bow:

In actuality, I have too many gifs to break them down for the slideshow to be a reasonable task. I will just segregate them from the QuotePlugin folder to avoid seeing the static first image of them - which can be rather odd regarding the gifs I was thinking about.

I am still tempted to try this, however - perhaps at another time. :yawn:

Thanks again.