It is currently March 28th, 2024, 10:59 am

Cant start rainmeter

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
ich0r

Cant start rainmeter

Post by ich0r »

rainmeter had stop working for a few days for me. tried uninstalling, then disabled my av just in case but whenever i tried to install even a new skin, any skin, a message will pop up stating that rainmeter has stopped working. i installed both beta than stable but still it didnt work. pls halp :confused:
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Cant start rainmeter

Post by jsmorley »

What I would do is go to %APPDATA%\Rainmeter in file explorer, and delete the file Rainmeter.ini.

C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.ini

When you start Rainmeter then, it will create a new empty Rainmeter.ini, and only the default illustro skins that come with Rainmeter will be running.

You can then close those, assuming you don't use them normally, and start loading each of the skins you normally use with Manage, until you find the one that is crashing Rainmeter. Then we can take a look at that skin and see if we can figure out what is going on.

This is likely, not certain, but very likely, due to some 3rd-party plugin that you are using in some skin you got from somewhere. The chances that your system, for some reason, just won't run Rainmeter at all is unlikely in the extreme, so let's eliminate any skins you might be running from the equation.
ich0r

Post by ich0r »

nope did that and still wont work. extra things that i did was try to run it in windows 7 and 8 and even xp. disable windows firewall and allow rainmeter app for firewall. whats weird is it works when i do a new clean install but when i start adding new skins that i randomly download just to test it out, it will crash. stopped working.
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

ich0r wrote:nope did that and still wont work. extra things that i did was try to run it in windows 7 and 8 and even xp. disable windows firewall and allow rainmeter app for firewall. whats weird is it works when i do a new clean install but when i start adding new skins that i randomly download just to test it out, it will crash. stopped working.
It worked! You were able to start Rainmeter, and load skins!

You are loading (adding) a skin that is crashing Rainmeter. Once you do that, Rainmeter will continue to crash because it remembers the skins you had loaded when it closes (or crashes)...

So you need to remember what skin you loaded that caused it to crash. THEN, again, delele "C:\Users\yourUsername\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.ini" file. Restart Rainmeter with the default illustro skins.

Now post the code for the skin that crashed Rainmeter here, so we can try to find out what caused it.
ich0r

Post by ich0r »

yea its still the same. i deleted the roaming/rainmeter.ini and the same thing happened when i tried to start it. even when i didnt use ANY skin, i just exit rainmeter and open back again, it will stopped working. really weird
ich0r

Post by ich0r »

IT WORKS! all i did was installed an older version of rainmeter 3.3.3. the newer version of rainmeter had some glitches probably :D
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Sounds like maybe you need to update your copy of Windows 7.

Rainmeter 4.0 and later requires at least Windows 7 with Service Pack 1 and the Platform Update applied. These should have been automatically applied several years ago by Windows Update, but if you have Windows Update turned off you may need to get and apply these updates manually. Windows versions later than Windows 7 are fully supported.
ich0r

Post by ich0r »

actually im on windows 8.1