It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:14 pm

can i change the colour in a skin in ini files

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
jraju

can i change the colour in a skin in ini files

Post by jraju »

Hi, Glad that i was given recommendation to use this site gadgets.
I downloaded a skin and it is working fine. But the colour the developer gave is some what light and it is not quite visible, when you browse the other things.
How to change the colour of the skin, i choose. Should i write to the developer? Or i could change it myself with the ideas from forum members.
What are those llines that should be edited to change the colour of the skin border and font. please
jsmorley
Developer

Re: can i change the colour in a skin in ini files

Post by jsmorley »

Do you have a link to the skin in question?
jraju

Post by jraju »

Hi, here is the link
http://rainmeterhub.com/skins/network-updown/
The default colour is , skyblue font colour, and navyblue bar colour> I want this to be changed to dark colours , so that i could view always .
First of all , i want to know, whether i could edit the one developed by a developer. Should i write to him? or anybody could edit the developers skin to custamization?
If changing the colours, i want the line to be edited and the part of colour in the script
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

You can certainly change the skin as you like, although I wouldn't further distribute your changed version without contacting the author or at least being sure to give credit to the original author.

As to the skin, the problem is that it isn't complete. The author kinda messed up when he/she created the .rmskin, and it is missing a file Variables.inc that is referenced in the line:

@include=#SKINSPATH#MeowMeter/Variables.inc

In that file it is expecting some variables, including the color it it using. Since it doesn't exist, you are just getting the default colors for FontColor, ImageTint and BarColor. Any place where it is "using" the variable #color#.

In the [Variables] section of the skin, remove that @Include line above, and add:

Code: Select all

[Variables]
maxDownload= 
; Some number of Bytes
maxUpload=
; Some number of Bytes
color=
; Some rrr,ggg,bbb color. This color will be used for both the text and the bar color.
https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/skins/option-types/#Color

P.S. If you are not sure what to use for the maxDownload and maxUpload variables, you might look at this:

https://docs.rainmeter.net/tips/network-skin/

Additional credit:

Nothing says you have to use one color for everything if you don't want to... You can find all the places where it is using the variable #color#, and change those to a specific color you like, maybe different for the FontColor and BarColor or something, that is up to you.
jraju

Post by jraju »

Hi, I do not know programming and so i do not know the missing lines. I am a user of the skin. Normal rainmeter does not contain this skin. I searched for network speed and i had trouble , how to add to the rain meter. I read forum post and included it.
It it could be edited by anybody for user benefit , then kindly just change the colours to some dark colour and the fonts and arrows and fonts in some clear transparent fonts.
I asked a feature request to rainmeter, without knowing that the skins questions are to be asked here.
If you could help me,
What i want is the capturing of the download and upload stream in real time to show in desktop always, whenever i use the internet and computer so that i could monitor the same always.
The skin that now i am using, is just showing the download and upload speed inclusive of other activities like system download and upload etc.
Instead of going to the router page, to see the real dwload and upload streem in bytes. This will also be changing inside the router, which i want to show it in the desktop as a widget skin.
I do not want to add any third website, like speedtest, as sometimes, malware bytes blocking the speedtest page.
For your information, i tried python..speedtest-cli command prompt.
jraju

Post by jraju »

What i want is enclosed . This is the minute to minute change of download and upload speed.
routerpage.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Code: Select all

[Rainmeter]
Update=1000
BackgroundMode=2
SolidColor=0,0,0,1

[Metadata]
Name=MeowMeter
Description=Daniel Richardson Rainmeter Skin
Version=2.1

[Variables]
maxDownload=50.00
maxUpload=6.00
color=10,75,53
UseBits=1

--------------------------Measures-------------------------

[measureNetIn]
Measure=NetIn
NetInSpeed=#maxDownload#
; NetInSpeed must be set so your maximum download speed for the download bar to scale correctly
UseBits=#UseBits#
IfEqualValue=0
IfEqualAction=[!SetOption "MeterDownloadimg" "ImageAlpha"  "75"]
IfAboveValue=0
IfAboveAction=[!SetOption "MeterDownloadimg" "ImageAlpha"  "255"]

[measureNetOut]
Measure=NetOut
NetOutSpeed=#maxUpload#
UseBits=#UseBits#
IfEqualValue=0
IfEqualAction=[!SetOption "MeterUploadimg" "ImageAlpha"  "75"]
IfAboveValue=0
IfAboveAction=[!SetOption "MeterUploadimg" "ImageAlpha"  "255"]

[MeasureInCumalitive]
Measure=NetIn
UseBits=#UseBits#
Cumulative=1

[MeasureOutCumalitive]
Measure=NetOut
UseBits=#UseBits#
Cumulative=1

--------------------------Upload-------------------------

[MeterUploadimg]
Meter=IMAGE
ImageName=#CURRENTPATH#upload.png
X=10
Y=20
W=20
H=20
ImageTint=#color#,255
BackgroundMode=2
SolidColor= 0,0,0,1
AntiAlias=1

[meterUploadValue]
Meter=STRING
MeasureName=measureNetOut
X=35r
Y=-6r
W=1
H=14
FontColor=#color#,255,255
FontSize=16
FontFace=Open Sans Light
StringAlign=LEFT
AntiAlias=1
Text=%1b/s
NumOfDecimals=2
AutoScale=1
; Because measureIP returns the current upload speed in bits, we must use AutoScale=1 to
; automatically scale the value into a more readable figure.

[meterUploadCumulative]
Meter=String
MeasureName=MeasureOutCumalitive
X=290r
Y=15r
W=147
H=14
Text="Tot. %1b"
NumOfDecimals=2
StringAlign=RIGHT
AutoScale=1
FontColor=#color#,255
FontSize=8
StringAlign=LEFT
AntiAlias=1
Scale=1

[meterUploadBar]
Meter=BAR
MeasureName=measureNetOut
X=-325r
Y=20r
W=325
H=5
Flip=1
BackgroundMode=2
SolidColor= #color#,75
BarColor=#color#,255
BarOrientation=HORIZONTAL

[meterRefresh]
Meter=Image
ImageName=#CURRENTPATH#refresh-copy.png
X=340r
Y=23
PreserveAspectRatio=1
H=40
W=40
BackgroundMode=2
ImageTint=#color#,255
SolidColor= 0,0,0,1
AntiAlias=1
ImageAlpha=75
MouseOverAction=[!SetOption "MeterRefresh" "ImageAlpha"  "255"][!UpdateMeter meterRefresh][!Redraw]
MouseLeaveAction=[!SetOption "MeterRefresh" "ImageAlpha"  "75"][!UpdateMeter meterRefresh][!Redraw]
LeftMouseUpAction=[!ResetStats]

-------------------------------download--------------------

[MeterDownloadimg]
Meter=IMAGE
ImageName=#CURRENTPATH#download.png
X=365r
Y=20
W=20
H=20
BackgroundMode=2
ImageTint=#color#,255
SolidColor= 0,0,0,1
AntiAlias=1

[meterDownloadValue]
Meter=STRING
MeasureName=measureNetIn
X=-15r
Y=-6r
W=147
H=14
FontColor=#color#,255,255
FontSize=16
FontFace=Open Sans Light
StringAlign=right
AntiAlias=1
Text=%1b/s
NumOfDecimals=2
AutoScale=1

[meterDownloadCumulative]
Meter=String
MeasureName=MeasureInCumalitive
X=-220r
Y=15r
W=147
H=14
Text="Tot. %1b"
NumOfDecimals=2
StringAlign=RIGHT
AutoScale=1
FontColor=#color#,255
FontSize=8
StringAlign=LEFT
AntiAlias=1
Scale=1

[meterDownloadBar]
Meter=BAR
MeasureName=measureNetIn
X=-70r
Y=20r
W=325
H=5
BackgroundMode=2
SolidColor= #color#,75
BarColor=#color#,255
BarOrientation=HORIZONTAL
This code will work for you, and return the network traffic in bits per second as in your router image.

The three things YOU need to set in the skin are the three [Variables]:

maxDownload=(34.36 * 1048576)
maxUpload=(5.45 * 1048576)
color=10,75,53

You need to set those to maximum values that are right for your internet connection, and whatever color code you want.

So to get the values you want for YOUR system for maxDownload and maxUpload, what I am suggesting is that in your browser, go to https://speedtest.net, and run the test. Use the values for "download" and "upload" that it returns.
1.png
So I'm getting 34.36 Mbps (megabits per second) download and 5.45 Mbps upload. I plug those into the [Variables] section of the skin, but multiply them by 1048576, since I want the value in bits, not megabits.

Then I chose a color I like. It can be any color you want. Just find some color picker online and choose one. You will use the RGB (rrr,ggg,bbb) value as in my example above.

Then save and refresh the skin, and it should work exactly as you want.
2.png
Note: Nothing says you have to use speedtest.net to get these values, there are tons of places on the web that you can use to determine your maximum download and upload speeds. There is even one built into the search results from Google if you search for "speed test". You just want to get the values in Mbps (megabits per second), which is what pretty much all of them are measured in.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jraju

Post by jraju »

Hi, thanks for the code. I will try. But let me say about speed of my internet.
The maximum that i could get in my plan is 10 mbps (this is fixed at maximum by ISP)
The maximum that i could get upstream is 1mb.
These values were not all present in my router, i contacted the ISP to check my download speed and they corrected it.
Do you mean to say that the maximum download may be fixed at 20 mb (this speed i would not get)If i get i will change.
Likewise, the upstream is the maximum of 2 mbps. I was provided a 502 bit, but now i increased the same by contacting the service provider, as i use to upload video, which takes much time. Now , i am getting 1 mbps which is the maximum i could get with my cable strength with copper wire support.
I will be expecting the reply as to the lines on which i have to set these three. I will try your code in the meanwhile.
Do you mean to say, that if the maximum exceeds the limit fixed in the script, there will not be any value shown or popup error pl
jraju

Post by jraju »

Hi, Please find enclosed the try of the revised skin. The relevant portions of change by me is also given below along with the result of the refresh.
Do i need to change the colour. Please give the code for a suitable colour for my desktop. I choose windows 7 basic, as i do not have aero support desktop)Just say the line of colour and i will change and try it.
What i have done:
[Variables]
maxDownload=(11.00*1048576)
maxUpload=(1.50*1048576)
color=10,75,53
UseBits=1
Normally, the router shows the speed nearer to the value i posted as screen shot. but the speed is shown as 3.68 kb in the picture enclosed.
The speed is given below in two sites
8.71 and 0.79 mb/s
speedtest.net.in
8.68 and 0.77 in beta speedtest.net
Just copied your code in to the skin. Changed the following items and saved and refreshed the skin
please see the result and advise[attachmen t=0]revisedskin.jpg[/attachment]
jraju

Post by jraju »

Hi, can i expect a reply from skin experts