It is currently March 28th, 2024, 12:24 pm

How do you find a .rmskin file?

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
reignofratch

How do you find a .rmskin file?

Post by reignofratch »

I just downloaded rainmeter to try and monitor my systems resources because of some issues I am experiencing.
I am so incredibly lost in trying to install any skin besides the default illustrio.
I keep getting told to "just click the .rmskin file" but I havent seen a .rmskin file in any of the things I have downloaded.
I am given a folder with subfolders like addons, skins, and themes but not a single .rmskin in the folder.
I feel like every guide I look at is missing a major step that comes between downloading and clicking the .rmskin

The most recent one that I've tried is Enigma by Kaelri.

What do I do?
reignofratch

Re: How do you find a .rmskin file?

Post by reignofratch »

All I really want is to display my GPU and CPU temps on top of all my other screens.
It can literally be just a single line of text in the top corner. Example (CPU1=32C)

Where do I go for a step by step pictorial walkthrough of installing ANY skin that can accomplish that?
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

One place to start is DeviantArt's Rainmeter forum: https://rainmeter.deviantart.com/.
There are lots of skins on Rainmeter's forum too.

Search for system monitoring skins and if you find one you like, download the .rmskin file. Double-click to install... that's all there is to it. ...No need for a tutorial! :)

Word of warning since you are new... displaying CPU and GPU temps is not trivial and will require installation of third-party software (CoreTemp, HWiNFO, etc.), and any skin you use will need your manual intervention to configure. If you are not comfortable editing .ini files or installing additional software, you might want to start with something a lot simpler first.
reignofratch

Post by reignofratch »

I actually figured out my issue,
The files I was using had an extra folder they needed to be removed from.

instead of rainmeter>enigma>skins
it was going rainmeter>enigma-master>enigma>skins

I solved a second issue I had a similar way, its contents had to be placed one by one into the sub folders its files belonged to or else it caused the entire program to terminate.

my final issue is that I am getting all zeroes on the GPU information, and i believe it is because the plug- or .dll files need to be moved or something in order to make the skin find the program.

I'm still using Enigma and now I am using the Afterburn extension and plugin in to get my GPU information. I'll update you on how that goes.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Probably this not necessary applies here and I don't know what web browser are you using, but sometimes when the skin installers are downloaded with IE, the extension of the downloaded files are changed to zip. In these cases, those files keep the structure of the .rmskin, just the extension is replaced. Replacing back the extension to .rmskin fixes the problem and the skin can be installed in the described way, with a double click.
In addition, neither the IE doesn't always change the extension, just on certain sources. I couldn't figure out why and when, didn't even try too hard, but this is what I found.