It is currently April 23rd, 2024, 8:26 am

Hiding desktop icons via Rainmeter.

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
kyriakos876

Hiding desktop icons via Rainmeter.

Post by kyriakos876 »

Hello, I wish to have a toggle button for desktop icons "hide/show". I had an .exe file that when executed from a meter, did that but I can't find it anymore in my PC. Is it possible that somebody has a similar thing or another way in general to do that?

-Thanks in advance.
Last edited by kyriakos876 on September 21st, 2017, 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Hiding desktop icons via Rainmeter.

Post by jsmorley »

theimmersion

Post by theimmersion »

I would use autohotkey to do that. Create an .ahk script and use this:

Code: Select all

ControlGet, class, Hwnd,, SysListView321, ahk_class Progman
If class =
ControlGet, class, Hwnd,, SysListView321, ahk_class WorkerW

If DllCall("IsWindowVisible", UInt,class)
WinHide, ahk_id %class%
Else
WinShow, ahk_id %class%
Place it in resources and just call it with your skins LeftMouseUpAction, a button perhaps or however your implementing it.
Its for windows 10 tho. I made the code so its independent from the system settings so you can hide the icons with right click on desktop \ view \ show desktop icons and that will be the default for when you want the icons to be hidden on reboot or leave it to show. Your choice.
Hope that helps. ^^
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

The other option is to not use Windows desktop icons at all, cause... ick.

If you really want them on your desktop, why not use Rainmeter skins instead? ;-)

Contains:

ThisPC
Personal Folder
Network
Network and Sharing Center
Control Panel
Recycle Bin
DesktopIcons_1.0.rmskin
1.png
You can use any icons / images you like of course, I just stole these from Windows 10.

You can create other ones pointing to Windows special folders and functionality with the correct clsid / guid code:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3123-clsid-key-guid-shortcuts-list-windows-10-a.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StArL0rd84

Post by StArL0rd84 »

ToggleIcons.rar
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
([mWorkTime] = 1 ? #Work# : ([mEnergyLoss:%] >= 70% ? #Chillmode# : </>))
kyriakos876

Post by kyriakos876 »

Thank you all :D
theimmersion

Post by theimmersion »

Because i for instance use desktop to work. Literally that and only that. Keep all my folders and stuff there that i actively work on before i store them or archive them. Sometimes for instance, working on some skins for days with features and having to go in and out of menus or folders, yet im sure as hell not gonna make rainmeter skins for all those working stuff because it slower, less dynamic and makes too many icons look ugly, that way, my desktop is clean with all the essentials, like a phones desktop if you will with only widgets that you mostly use and look nice too, but go into menu when you need to do other stuff. At least my take on it. I reinstalled Winows yesturday, an anual thing for me so it might not look as crazy yet. xD
example1.jpg
example2.jpg
EDIT: Yes, its 4 am. xDDD
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

theimmersion wrote:Because i for instance use desktop to work. Literally that and only that. Keep all my folders and stuff there that i actively work on before i store them or archive them. Sometimes for instance, working on some skins for days with features and having to go in and out of menus or folders, yet im sure as hell not gonna make rainmeter skins for all those working stuff because it slower, less dynamic and makes too many icons look ugly, that way, my desktop is clean with all the essentials, like a phones desktop if you will with only widgets that you mostly use and look nice too, but go into menu when you need to do other stuff. At least my take on it. I reinstalled Winows yesturday, an anual thing for me so it might not look as crazy yet. xD

example1.jpg
example2.jpg

EDIT: Yes, its 4 am. xDDD
Makes me die inside a little... ;-)
theimmersion

Post by theimmersion »

Why? :???:
Im surious, show me your current desktop, i dare ya. :D
Unless your that hard core programming that you dont even use the graphic environment. :o
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

theimmersion wrote:Why? :???:
Im surious, show me your current desktop, i dare ya. :D
Unless your that hard core programming that you dont even use the graphic environment. :o
I'm just pulling your leg... To each his own. If we all liked the same thing, there would be a hell of a traffic jam.
CurrentDesk.jpg