It is currently April 25th, 2024, 4:17 pm

[SOLVED]I can't install .rmskin files.

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
Nox VII

Re: I can't .rmskin files.

Post by Nox VII »

jsmorley wrote:That seems to be the root of the problem, but I don't have a good solution for you right off. As you say, creating a whole new account or re-installing Windows to use a new name for your account is pretty ugly.

I will ask the code monkeys to look at the Skin Installer code to see if we are doing something wrong with CodePage or Unicode characters in the user name, as in theory it shouldn't matter. There is still something about this that nags at me though, as we have tons of Rainmeter users who have foreign language user names (well foreign to me...) including Chinese and other super-non-English representations, and I have never run into this issue before.
I'll try to find a way to rename my user file and let you know if it works but what I don't understand is this:
Nox VII wrote:If I press the save file it shows me the message I posted in the OP,
Invalid package:
ExampleMeterButton_1.0.rmskin
The Skin Packager tool must be create valid .rmskin packages.

But if I press the "open with Rainmeter.SkinInstaller (default)" it opens the installer but when I press "install" it shows me the:
Unable to create file:
C:\Users\?a???\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\ExampleMeterButton\ExampleMeterButton.ini
Skin Installer Will Now quit
Click OK to close Skin Installer.
CyberTheWorm

Re: I can't install .rmskin files.

Post by CyberTheWorm »

You can always extract the rmskin using a zip extractor and manually copy the skin over.
The only source of knowledge is experience. Albert Einstein
Deviant Art Page
jsmorley
Developer

Re: I can't .rmskin files.

Post by jsmorley »

Nox VII wrote:I'll try to find a way to rename my user file and let you know if it works but what I don't understand is this:

If I press the save file it shows me the message I posted in the OP,
Invalid package:
ExampleMeterButton_1.0.rmskin
The Skin Packager tool must be create valid .rmskin packages.

But if I press the "open with Rainmeter.SkinInstaller (default)" it opens the installer but when I press "install" it shows me the:
Unable to create file:
C:\Users\?a???\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\ExampleMeterButton\ExampleMeterButton.ini
Skin Installer Will Now quit
Yeah, that is just bogus error reporting by the Skin Installer. The real root of the problem is

Unable to create file:
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

CyberTheWorm wrote:You can always extract the rmskin using a zip extractor and manually copy the skin over.
Sure, but that doesn't solve the problem.
CyberTheWorm

Post by CyberTheWorm »

jsmorley wrote:Sure, but that doesn't solve the problem.
True.

Did you try reinstalling Rainmeter and make sure you did not install as portable mode?
The only source of knowledge is experience. Albert Einstein
Deviant Art Page
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

CyberTheWorm wrote:True.

Did you try reinstalling Rainmeter and make sure you did not install as portable mode?
That wouldn't in any way cause the issue he is having.

However...

That could actually be a solution. Install Rainmeter "portable", and use C:\Rainmeter or something else English as the installation folder. Then it won't ever try to access C:\Users\Μακης at all. It will just keep everything, skins, settings all that in C:\Rainmeter.

You would also need to manually create a shortcut for Rainmeter in your Startup folder to get it to run automatically at boot-up, and manually "associate" the .rmksin file extension with C:\Rainmeter\SkinInstaller.exe.
Nox VII

Post by Nox VII »

jsmorley wrote:That wouldn't in any way cause the issue he is having.

However...

That could actually be a solution. Install Rainmeter "portable", and use C:\Rainmeter or something else English as the installation folder. Then it won't ever try to access C:\Users\Μακης at all. It will just keep everything, skins, settings all that in C:\Rainmeter.
I made a new user and everything worked flawless.
Last edited by Nox VII on July 26th, 2017, 3:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

But the reason why I'm still confused is that I just created a folder C:\Μακης on my hard drive. Then I installed Rainmeter "portable" and used that folder. Everything works for me exactly as it should, including installing .rmskins with Skin Installer. There is something, I know not what, that is different about your system and all the Language / Locale stuff that is an issue, but I can't put my finger on it.
Nox VII

Post by Nox VII »

Solution:
So for anyone who has this problem, install Rainmeter in C:\Rainmeter and make sure that the .rmskin files that you want to install aren't in the directory of your user's file.

Forget what I said, now it runs the installer but it shows me this:
C:\Users\?a???\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\Bar_Volume\Volume-DarkVertical.ini.
Skin Installer will now quit.

I don't understand, it should work.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Nox VII wrote:Solution:
So for anyone who has this problem, install Rainmeter in C:\Rainmeter and make sure that the .rmskin files that you want to install aren't in the directory of your user's file.

Forget what I said, now it runs the installer but it shows me this:
C:\Users\?a???\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\Bar_Volume\Volume-DarkVertical.ini.
Skin Installer will now quit.

I don't understand, it should work.
You need to uninstall the "standard" installation you did, so the association for .rmskin is removed, then install Rainmeter "portable" and manually create a file association between .rmskin and C:\Rainmeter\SkinInstaller.exe or wherever you installed Rainmeter.

The issue is that if you still have Rainmeter installed "standard", then a file association for .rmskin still points to that installation.