It is currently March 28th, 2024, 9:08 am

Weather Underground RegExp

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Weather Underground RegExp

Post by jsmorley »

SCR wrote:I really appreciate your time and your patience to help me...

If you're curious here's a screenshot of my project so far.
Really nice looking skin!
SCR

Post by SCR »

FreeRaider wrote:Amazing! :o

Thank you... That's quite the generous compliment from someone with your abilities :D
SCR

Post by SCR »

jsmorley wrote:Really nice looking skin!
Thank you. But I owe you the thanks for your WXDataTutorial skin that gave me the courage to attempt it and all your helpful comments on the forum. I guess I should also thank everyone that ever wrote a skin that I've broken and torn apart over the years.

Credit to VClouds for the icons.

I still have lot of things to learn and lot of fun work to do. Yes, I am addicted...
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

SCR wrote:Thank you. But I owe you the thanks for your WXDataTutorial skin that gave me the courage to attempt it and all your helpful comments on the forum. I guess I should also thank everyone that ever wrote a skin that I've broken and torn apart over the years.

Credit to VClouds for the icons.

I still have lot of things to learn and lot of fun work to do. Yes, I am addicted...
VCloud's icons are nice indeed, and I use a slightly tweaked version of them myself. Another guy who does incredible weather icons is deviantART user HipHopium, as illustrated in:
He has a bunch of other "realistic" weather icon sets as well, which you can find by browsing his gallery at:

http://hiphopium.deviantart.com/
SCR

Post by SCR »

That's an impressive gallery.. Thanks for the link and information.
SCR

Post by SCR »

Weather Underground will not be issuing free API keys any longer and it's unknown how long the existing free keys will work. At present I'm having incomplete data connections and it is highly unlikely this will be fixed. Not that it will matter as a lot of the Personal Weather Station owners are dropping their connections as they will have to pay for a key to see the data sent to WU.

This pretty much ends my Weather skin I have been developing for Personal Weather Stations on Weather Underground. I almost had it done until things went sideways. :17flag

I've been looking around for other Weather API's but most are far beyond my understanding as to how to use them. Weather.gov pretty much leaves me in the dark as well.
MikeG621

Post by MikeG621 »

I use Wunderground's normal RSS feed to pull my weather data; it's not as detailed as what full API access gets you and they occasionally toggle a simpler version but it works for me. I can package it up if you'd like.
Attachments
wunderground.png
SCR

Post by SCR »

MikeG621 wrote:I use Wunderground's normal RSS feed to pull my weather data; it's not as detailed as what full API access gets you and they occasionally toggle a simpler version but it works for me. I can package it up if you'd like.
I would appreciate that. I've spent a lot of time on developing what I have and any chance to salvage some of it would be most welcome. Thanks for your offer.
MikeG621

Post by MikeG621 »

See how that works for you. Lots of theme-ing stuff in there so it ties in with the rest of my suite, but everything it needs should be there. I think there's a couple more things that could be pulled from the RSS that I'm not using, too.

There's two variants, use "Weather" for the normal version and "Weather-current" for a non-forecast version. The "current" variant may be slightly behind as far as accuracy (I know I didn't add Regex.Rain2) since I only use it when they break the RSS feed. The warning triangles in my screenshot are when there's active weather alerts, it'll show up to 4.

Let us know how it goes :)
Attachments
Wunderground_180618.rmskin
(37.75 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
SCR

Post by SCR »

MikeG621 wrote:See how that works for you. Lots of theme-ing stuff in there so it ties in with the rest of my suite, but everything it needs should be there. I think there's a couple more things that could be pulled from the RSS that I'm not using, too.

There's two variants, use "Weather" for the normal version and "Weather-current" for a non-forecast version. The "current" variant may be slightly behind as far as accuracy (I know I didn't add Regex.Rain2) since I only use it when they break the RSS feed. The warning triangles in my screenshot are when there's active weather alerts, it'll show up to 4.

Let us know how it goes :)
Thanks Mike. I'm in the middle of a move to my new house and haven't had time to play with it. By the time I'm finished working on this move I'm beat. My age is catching up with me. Did you ever notice that the older you get the stronger gravity is?

I've been off line for days but I have my system up and running as of today and notice that Weather Underground API's seem to be working again. As with anything Weather Channel related it changes as fast as the weather and is about the same in predictability.

Thanks again I've downloaded it but as I said my time to play is very limited. Curtains to hang, stuff to move ten times till it's in the right place, stuff to look for, blah, blah. It will be over soon, I hope. :17what