It is currently April 18th, 2024, 9:11 pm

Network skin showing inaccurate values

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
Mediocre

Network skin showing inaccurate values

Post by Mediocre »

Hi,

Whenever my VPN is turned on, the Upload and Download values are inaccurate -- they're double what they are suppose to be (see image 1). If I had to guess, I'd think it's because it's taking both the Ethernet (the VPN) and the Wi-Fi speeds and combining them (see image 2). Displaying my current IP Address works fine for both, though. And yes, whenever I disable the VPN, it shows accurate values. Is it possible for it to show accurate values while still using the VPN?, or would I always need to mentally split the values in half to know the approximate speeds I'm getting? I hope not, lol. I'm using the included illustro Network skin, by the way. I'm new to Rainmaker.

Thanks!

Image 1

Image 2

CyberTheWorm

Re: Network skin showing inaccurate values

Post by CyberTheWorm »

First image is in MB/s second one is in Mb/s they will never be the same value
The only source of knowledge is experience. Albert Einstein
Deviant Art Page
Mediocre

Post by Mediocre »

CyberTheWorm wrote:First image is in MB/s second one is in Mb/s they will never be the same value
I know that, but that's not what I meant.

21.5 Mbps = 2.6875 MB/s

22.9 Mbps = 2.8625 MB/s

2.6875 MB/s + 2.8625 MB/s = 5.55MB/s = ~5.4MB/s

My internet with or without the VPN goes up to around 25 Mbps, which equals to ~3.1 MB/s. So that's what it should be showing instead of 5.4MB/s.

5.4MB/s = 43.2 Mbps

My internet isn't that fast.
CyberTheWorm

Post by CyberTheWorm »

Run a speed test and see what you max values are, then look at your skin you are using. Is there anything in there that might be giving you false results?

If I have my VPN running to access my work network, my skins do not measure that one only my main Ethernet connection.

Or post the skin you are using so we can look and see if anything is wrong with it.

It's possible that your skin is reading all network cards when the VPN is up and running.
The only source of knowledge is experience. Albert Einstein
Deviant Art Page
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

Mediocre,
This is a known issue in Rainmeter, caused by virtual network interfaces. The workaround for this is to monitor a specific network adapter. Many network skins (like Illustro) just show "all" traffic; this causes the results to be extremely inaccurate if you have virtual adapters (on my machine, I sometime see results not just doubled, but quadrupled).

To correct this, change the NetIn/NetOut/NetTotal measures in the skin to use "Interface=Best" instead of the default ("Interface=0"). You can also specify a specific adapter by name or index. An easy way to find the name/index of the adapter is to turn on Rainmeter's debug mode and examine the log. It is best to use names, as indexes can and will change.
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
Mediocre

Post by Mediocre »

SilverAzide wrote:Mediocre,
This is a known issue in Rainmeter, caused by virtual network interfaces. The workaround for this is to monitor a specific network adapter. Many network skins (like Illustro) just show "all" traffic; this causes the results to be extremely inaccurate if you have virtual adapters (on my machine, I sometime see results not just doubled, but quadrupled).

To correct this, change the NetIn/NetOut/NetTotal measures in the skin to use "Interface=Best" instead of the default ("Interface=0"). You can also specify a specific adapter by name or index. An easy way to find the name/index of the adapter is to turn on Rainmeter's debug mode and examine the log. It is best to use names, as indexes can and will change.
Exactly what I was looking for. Works perfectly.

Thank you!
schuby

Post by schuby »

I don't see the line with "Interace=0" to change it. Where is this in the network configuration file?

Also, is it possible to change the values from B/s to Kb/s? I don't understand why so many developers and vendors continue to use Bytes to represent network bandwidth. Bandwidth is measured in bits; storage is measured in Bytes. I hate having to constantly convert from Bytes to bits when trying to determine bandwidth utilization.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

schuby wrote:I don't see the line with "Interace=0" to change it. Where is this in the network configuration file?

Also, is it possible to change the values from B/s to Kb/s? I don't understand why so many developers and vendors continue to use Bytes to represent network bandwidth. Bandwidth is measured in bits; storage is measured in Bytes. I hate having to constantly convert from Bytes to bits when trying to determine bandwidth utilization.
I would tend to agree that network values should be in bits, not bytes. While we can't change this in how Rainmeter was originally written, due to backwards compatibility issues for older skins, it's not terrifically complicated to convert bytes to bits really. 8 bits in a byte.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

schuby wrote:I don't see the line with "Interace=0" to change it. Where is this in the network configuration file?
Interface=0 is the default. If the setting is not present, you need to add it to the Net measure (but use Best instead of 0).
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
schuby

Post by schuby »

Thank you for the quick responses.

So there's no way to re-format the output to perform that conversion? I admit it is a simple conversion but I'm using that skin for quick, accurate bandwidth stats. I might as well quickly pop into Task Manager and check there (where it's properly formatted with bits per second).