It is currently April 16th, 2024, 11:33 am

Network skin showing inaccurate values

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Network skin showing inaccurate values

Post by jsmorley »

schuby wrote:Thank you for the quick responses.

So there's no way to re-format the output to perform that conversion? I admit it is a simple conversion but I'm using that skin for quick, accurate bandwidth stats. I might as well quickly pop into Task Manager and check there (where it's properly formatted with bits per second).
Today, the only way would be to have additional Calc measures that use the value of your NetIn / NetOut / NetTotal measures and multiplies them by 8, then use those Calc measures in your meters instead of the Net measures. Still going to be quick and accurate, just take a tiny bit of code in your skin.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

But again, I tend to agree with you, and we will see if we can add an option for that to the Net measures.

While "file transfers", like in a Torrent client or FTP client, are often expressed in bytes per second, that it because they are related to a "file" and file size is always in bytes. However "bandwidth" or "traffic" per second are generally expressed in bits per second. That should probably have been the original approach, and I suspect we can add a "ShowInBits" or some such option to the Net measures for a future beta.

I confess it is annoying to see the Net measures, which are measuring traffic across the NIC per second, not match what is in TaskManager or SpeedTest.net or most other places talking about traffic and not downloads.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

We have added a UseBits option to the Net measures in the latest beta at https://www.rainmeter.net.

https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual-beta/measures/net/#UseBits