It is currently April 23rd, 2024, 4:10 pm

Help with variables

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
Codger

Re: Help with variables

Post by Codger »

balala wrote:Using the !Quit bang.
But don't think any question is stupid: with Rainmeter (and not just) there is always something to be learned.
I'm a large believer in that myself. I always ask, but I still feel a bit silly when it seems like there is a button in the interface I am overlooking or something.
[hr][/hr][hr][/hr]
"If you are the smartest one in the room, you are in the wrong room."
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Codger wrote:That fits perfectly with what was happening and what I was doing (testing)
Even if you know how to adapt it's always nice to what and why as well.
Thanks for the explanations.

Embarrassingly stupid question: how do you turn off RM besides using the task manager? Seems like I'm missing something under my nose.
You can right click the tray icon and say "Exit".
Codger

Post by Codger »

jsmorley wrote:You can right click the tray icon and say "Exit".
I never even noticed the tray icon before - not quite under my nose ;-) but close.
Thanks, exactly what I wanted. I never like brute forcing shutdowns if there is another way.
[hr][/hr][hr][/hr]
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Codger wrote:I never even noticed the tray icon before - not quite under my nose ;-) but close.
Thanks, exactly what I wanted. I never like brute forcing shutdowns if there is another way.
Glad to help. The context menus are available in a couple of ways.

1) Right click the Notification Area tray icon. That gives you the global "Rainmeter" context menu, but also provides access to the individual skins context menus for all running skins.
2) Right click any running skin. That gives you the context menu for that skin, but also has an item for "Rainmeter" that duplicates the global items from the Rainmeter menu.

So all roads lead to Rome...

BTW, if you have not been using the Notification Area tray icon, then you probably are not using the all-important About dialog for Rainmeter. This is not your daddy's About dialog, with credits and a version number, but is a very useful set of tools for debugging skins when you are scratching your head.

https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/user-interface/about/
Codger

Post by Codger »

jsmorley wrote:Glad to help. The context menus are available in a couple of ways.

BTW, if you have not been using the Notification Area tray icon, then you probably are not using the all-important About dialog for Rainmeter. This is not your daddy's About dialog, with credits and a version number, but is a very useful set of tools for debugging skins when you are scratching your head.
Oh no, that has been a life saver. I've just been getting to it from the 'manage' interface.

One thing I seem to have lost and maybe it was someone's personal skin or I dreamt it but I clearly remember a feature that showed the cpu usage each skin was using? Any idea what I am talking about? It was not something that grabbed my attention at the time but would sorely like to have now.

On other fronts it turns out that the site that I get my location info from some days has postal codes, others not. Have to find a new site and integrate it. All I really need to know is if it is '41130' or not. But most location sites don't cover region codes and most of those that do don't cover them for non-US countries. But I'll find a fast, stable one. That will be the task when I get up tomorrow.

But now just enough time for a brief catnap before a night out on the town. :twisted:

Thanks and many blessings from the land of smiles.

PS: I just noticed my sig is not reacting to [hr]. How do I create a horizontal line (other than using the imprecise line of dashes)?
[hr][/hr][hr][/hr]
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

There is no built-in way that I can think of. The posting capabilities in the phpBB forum don't allow any embedded HTML, as that is a huge security risk. So things like <hr> won't work. What it does instead is implement and support specific BBCodes, which are available at the top of the edit panel when you are creating a post (or signature). We don't have any BBCode to do a horizontal line, although I guess I might look at creating one.

We also don't allow "attaching" images to signatures, since we are trying to discourage the kind of overkill that can cause, and trying to keep the forums focused on the content, not huge animated gif files in everyone's signature.

All I can suggest is that you create an image file, something like:
line.jpg
Then the tricky bit. Since you can't attach it to a signature, you will need to "host" it somewhere, somewhere that will allow you to "hotlink" to the image and directly display it. DropBox used to be good for that, but they have recently made it a lot harder to do it. I use Google Drive, but even then it's a bit complicated... Increasingly sites that host files don't want you creating "direct" links to download or display the files, as they want the opportunity to throw some advertising your way.

Anyway, if you look at my current signature, I added a line. (Edit: Removed it as it annoyed me...)

Code: Select all

[img]https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=0B1K8xVmvnjdcUS1rN1VQalBSVU0[/img]
[color=#206697]•[/color] [url=http://jsmorley.deviantart.com/]deviantART Profile[/url] [color=#206697]•[/color] [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1K8xVmvnjdcREpJVG5tOGxUZ0U]Current Desktop[/url] [color=#206697]•[/color] [url=http://docs.rainmeter.net/manual]Rainmeter Manual[/url] [color=#206697]•[/color]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Ok, I added a horizontal line BBCode...

[hr][/hr]Line above and below this[hr][/hr]

You have no real control over the attributes of the line, it just uses what is defined for <hr> in the CSS for our forum style. If you want a particular color or weight you are back to an image...
Codger

Post by Codger »

jsmorley wrote:Ok, I added a horizontal line BBCode...

You have no real control over the attributes of the line, it just uses what is defined for <hr> in the CSS for our forum style. If you want a particular color or weight you are back to an image...
I never did get away from the keyboard and catch a nap. I'll just have to power through the night Not as easy as that use to be.

Thanks for the line. That is so cool - not so much the line which is nice, but the feeling of mentioning something and it appears. :o I had not noticed that you were part of the inner inner circle. Thank you again.
[hr][/hr][hr][/hr]
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

You are welcome.

I just changed it to be 2px in height, instead of the default 1px in our CSS, so it was at least somewhat distinct from all the other horizontal lines in the forums.

jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Codger wrote: One thing I seem to have lost and maybe it was someone's personal skin or I dreamt it but I clearly remember a feature that showed the cpu usage each skin was using? Any idea what I am talking about? It was not something that grabbed my attention at the time but would sorely like to have now.
To the best of my knowledge, there is literally no way to do this. Individual skins do not spawn individual processes.