It is currently April 26th, 2024, 11:42 pm

need Help at WP7/textitems/weather/wearther.ini

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
mak_kawa

Re: need Help at WP7/textitems/weather/wearther.ini

Post by mak_kawa »

Hi CyberTheWorm

It is my terrible overlook. Your idea of using OpenWeatherMap is great alternative for me!

I am going to build a weather skin referring your work. Thanks.
CyberTheWorm

Post by CyberTheWorm »

fonpaolo wrote:Sorry to hijack this thread, only a curiosity, CyberTheWorm, since you're using it, is there also a weather alert section in the data?

I'm very interested to finally find a good and stable data source to substitute Weather.com, since bugs, unavailability for days and changes are removing data here and there, in many locations of the world.
This is the feeds you can get https://openweathermap.org/api might be something in there you can use.
The only source of knowledge is experience. Albert Einstein
Deviant Art Page
fonpaolo

Post by fonpaolo »

CyberTheWorm wrote:This is the feeds you can get https://openweathermap.org/api might be something in there you can use.
Well... yes, there's a lot more of what I need... O.O
Saved for further investigations, next time, I have to read all the page, if I only had the time... :oops:
It's good and it's free, even the 5 days forecast (and the alerts, as it seems), only a free registration to have the API key.

Thanks CyberTheWorm. :D
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

fonpaolo wrote:Well... yes, there's a lot more of what I need... O.O
Saved for further investigations, next time, I have to read all the page, if I only had the time... :oops:
It's good and it's free, even the 5 days forecast (and the alerts, as it seems), only a free registration to have the API key.

Thanks CyberTheWorm. :D
The only downside I see is that if you distribute the skin, you need to include instructions on how to get an API key for the user, and having to register on a site and all that might discourage some. Just something to consider. Having a ton of users just using your key may have undesirable consequences, the worst of which is that the key hits some daily / weekly / monthly limit, and temporarily stops working for everyone.
fonpaolo

Post by fonpaolo »

I was thinking of personal use, I'm already using skins (complete or extensions) I'll never make available to anyone.
I'm always searching for better data for me and, if possible, for distributable skins.

This also requires a complete rewrite of the code and icons to match.

edit: the alert part is the "culprit"... trying to convert one skin I'm using for all, I'm unable to find a source similar to the one I'm using for Europe.
I was thinking to use Weather.com, but now it's really unreliable: in many countries, included mine, it's simply disappeared from the xml.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

fonpaolo wrote:I was thinking of personal use, I'm already using skins (complete or extensions) I'll never make available to anyone.
I'm always searching for better data for me and, if possible, for distributable skins.

This also requires a complete rewrite of the code and icons to match.

edit: the alert part is the "culprit"... trying to convert one skin I'm using for all, I'm unable to find a source similar to the one I'm using for Europe.
I was thinking to use Weather.com, but now it's really unreliable: in many countries, included mine, it's simply disappeared from the xml.
It's tough, and seems to be a bit of a moving target over time. AccuWeather... and it's gone... Yahoo Weather... and it's gone...

So:

https://wxdata.weather.com/wxdata/weather/local/USVA0944?cc=*&unit=m&dayf=6

Is not reliable for you with your location code? Aside from some occasional very temporary hiccups when their data / site is acting up, it has been for me, but then I live in the United States, where weather was invented...
CyberTheWorm

Post by CyberTheWorm »

jsmorley wrote:The only downside I see is that if you distribute the skin, you need to include instructions on how to get an API key for the user, and having to register on a site and all that might discourage some. Just something to consider. Having a ton of users just using your key may have undesirable consequences, the worst of which is that the key hits some daily / weekly / monthly limit, and temporarily stops working for everyone.
Not much different from having a gmail skin, where you have to do the same thing :confused:
Deviant Art Page
fonpaolo

Post by fonpaolo »

jsmorley wrote:...
Is not reliable for you with your location code? Aside from some occasional very temporary hiccups when their data / site is acting up, it has been for me, but then I live in the United States, where weather was invented...
Just to be clear, it's not the whole weather data which are missing in my country, I'm still using it as my main data source, the alerts part it's gone, it's more than a year.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

CyberTheWorm wrote:Not much different from having a gmail skin, where you have to do the same thing :confused:
Not sure I see any similarity. I use no "key" that I share with others when I distribute my GMail skin...
CyberTheWorm

Post by CyberTheWorm »

jsmorley wrote:Not sure I see any similarity. I use no "key" that I share with others when I distribute my GMail skin...
When I made my skin up I did the same thing

Code: Select all

[Variables]
; CityCode can be obtained at https://openweathermap.org/
CityCode=6159905
; UnitOfMeasure can be (Imperial / Fahrenheit) or (Metric / Celsius)
UnitOfMeasure=metric
;To get an API key you need to sign up it's free
APIKey=Your API Key here
Same thing as any other weather skin you need to change this to get it to work.
Deviant Art Page