It is currently April 23rd, 2024, 1:20 pm

need Help at WP7/textitems/weather/wearther.ini

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: need Help at WP7/textitems/weather/wearther.ini

Post by balala »

jsmorley wrote:This URL uses the Yahoo Query Language API's to access a very small subset of Yahoo weather. While it works, I'm not a huge fan, as it only returns the bare bones.
This means that the complete Yahoo Weather is still inaccessible (at least for the users who want to use it for free)? I remember a while ago Yahoo Weather worked for free, but if I'm not wrong after a while they have started to require subscription. Am I wrong?
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

balala wrote:This means that the complete Yahoo Weather is still inaccessible (at least for the users who want to use it for free)? I remember a while ago Yahoo Weather worked for free, but if I'm not wrong after a while they have started to require subscription. Am I wrong?
Right. The old full-blown RSS/ATOM feed for Yahoo Weather is gone. There may be a way to get at it with a subscription and using a key, but not sure and to be honest don't really care.

Yahoo Weather online is really great, and the old feed was very nice, but let's face it, this is a company that is in a death spiral.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

jsmorley wrote:Right. The old full-blown RSS/ATOM feed for Yahoo Weather is gone. There may be a way to get at it with a subscription and using a key, but not sure and to be honest don't really care.
Thanks for the info. Probably doesn't even matter too much, because if it's working with subscription or authentication, WebParser probably can't read it.
jsmorley wrote:this is a company that is in a death spiral.
Yahoo? :o
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

balala wrote:Thanks for the info. Probably doesn't even matter too much, because if it's working with subscription or authentication, WebParser probably can't read it.

Yahoo? :o
Yahoo is toast. It remains to be seen what will happen with the current properties like ymail and Yahoo Weather and Yahoo News and such after Verizon or someone buys up the scattered entrails. I honestly don't see what is currently called Yahoo Weather entirely going away, as it is hugely popular on Android devices. But it might get a new name, and who knows what it will end up looking or acting like.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

jsmorley wrote:Yahoo is toast. It remains to be seen what will happen with the current properties like ymail and Yahoo Weather and Yahoo News and such after Verizon or someone buys up the scattered entrails. I honestly don't see what is currently called Yahoo Weather entirely going away, as it is hugely popular on Android devices. But it might get a new name, and who knows what it will end up looking or acting like.
Had no idea about all these.
mak_kawa

Post by mak_kawa »

Hi jsmorley

Your scope and speculation are really deep, accurate. :-)

Now I know that maybe we would become abruptly unable to get information from Yahoo weather. But at present I am obliged to use it as an alternative to Weather.com when we don't get current weather condition from it.

Honestly, I am a bit anxious about that we depends on practically one single source for weather feed, Weather.com. Is there any other worldwide weather source for Rainmeter?
CyberTheWorm

Post by CyberTheWorm »

mak_kawa wrote:Is there any other worldwide weather source for Rainmeter?
You can use this https://openweathermap.org/ but I believe you have to sign up to get a feed key, it is a free sign in.
The only source of knowledge is experience. Albert Einstein
Deviant Art Page
mak_kawa

Post by mak_kawa »

Hi CyberTheWorm

Thanks for the info.

OpenWeatherMap looks very promising as an alternative for me. So, I made a free account on the site and got APIkey. URL to get xml feed of current weather is http://api.openweathermap.org/data/2.5/weather?id=#CityCode#&mode=xml&appid=#APIkey#.

Now I am going to build skin from scratch...? :-)
CyberTheWorm

Post by CyberTheWorm »

mak_kawa wrote:Hi CyberTheWorm

Thanks for the info.

OpenWeatherMap looks very promising as an alternative for me. So, I made a free account on the site and got APIkey. URL to get xml feed of current weather is http://api.openweathermap.org/data/2.5/weather?id=#CityCode#&mode=xml&appid=#APIkey#.

Now I am going to build skin from scratch...? :-)
NP, if you want to see what I did take a look at this
https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=25397
The only source of knowledge is experience. Albert Einstein
Deviant Art Page
fonpaolo

Post by fonpaolo »

Sorry to hijack this thread, only a curiosity, CyberTheWorm, since you're using it, is there also a weather alert section in the data?

I'm very interested to finally find a good and stable data source to substitute Weather.com, since bugs, unavailability for days and changes are removing data here and there, in many locations of the world.