It is currently April 26th, 2024, 12:54 am

RegExp error in the rainmeter log.

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
fanattic1

RegExp error in the rainmeter log.

Post by fanattic1 »

I am having trouble with the weather widget. It is failing to refresh and saying to try again later.
This does not happen all the time and the manual refreshes seem to work.

I noticed this in the "about rainmeter" log tab:
RegExp matching error (-1) (Win10 Widgets\Weather\Weather-Large.ini - [MeasureWeather])

Is this a known problem? I updated from the release to the beta and it did not change.

4.1.0 beta r2787 64-bit (Apr 21 2017)
Windows 10 Enterprise 64-bit (build 14393)
Path: C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\
IniFile: C:\Users\ErvinConn\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.ini
SkinPath: C:\Users\ErvinConn\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: RegExp error in the rainmeter log.

Post by balala »

No, that's not a Rainmeter problem. There's a problem with your code. This is indicated by the (Win10 Widgets\Weather\Weather-Large.ini - [MeasureWeather]) message, which tells you there is an issue with the [MeasureWeather] measure.
fanattic1

Post by fanattic1 »

I am not sure what you mean by my code. I do not have any code. All I did was install rainmeter and use a couple of widgets.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

fanattic1 wrote:I am not sure what you mean by my code. I do not have any code. All I did was install rainmeter and use a couple of widgets.
By your code, I didn't mean necessary the code had been written by you. I meant the code you're talking about. You haven't post at least a name of the incriminated skin. So, if you need help, please post either the name and a link where we can download the skin, or maybe even better, pack the config and upload it. Otherwise no one can't say anything concrete.
fanattic1

Post by fanattic1 »

I guess I am not sure about the terminology but I will try.
Is Weather-Large.ini that was in the original post the "Skin"? I only installed what came with the program. Nothing extra.
Can you explain what "pack the config" means? I am not a programmer. I am just a casual user trying to find a replacement for the weather widget that was on Windows 7.
I turned on logging and tried to append what that gave me but I get:
Invalid file extension: Rainmeter.log
Is there a document somewhere that will tell me how to collect debug data and append it here so I can get help?
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Ok, let's go on step by step. First read the following description: https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/getting-started/
You'll find there a very good description of the basic terminology, which should be known when you start working with Rainmeter. Also take a look at the following descriptions, which should be known if you start working with Rainmeter:

https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/getting-started/basic-tutorials/
https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/getting-started/skin-anatomy/
https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/getting-started/creating-skins/

Maybe you'll find all these very much. Read them and don't worry if you can't remember everything from the first ride in world of Rainmeter, over time you'll get used to them.

Now, I'm not sure where you got the Weather-Large.ini file (an ini file is the skin itself, but it can use many resources - images, sounds, addons and so on), if I'm not wrong the illusto suite, which comes with Rainmeter when you install it, doesn't have a Weather skin, but maybe I'm wrong. I modified many things over time in that suite, so I'm not very sure any more.
fanattic1 wrote:Can you explain what "pack the config" means?
The config is the root folder under the Skins folder, which contains the ini file. By default, the path of the Skins folder is C:\Users\YourName\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins, probably you'll find it there. In this Skins folder, you'll find an illustro folder, which is a config. I'm not sure how your config is named, but it must be there. If you right click the weather skin, then click Edit, in the default text editor, the code of the skin will open. There you can check where is it saved. From this path you can extract the name of the config.
fanattic1

Post by fanattic1 »

I guess I am in over my head. All I did was download the program from rainmeter.net and start it.
I wasn't planning on doing anything beyond using the weather widget that came with it.
After sending my donation for the program and using it for a bit the weather widget starting having problems.
Maybe I should just move on to trying to find another weather widget. I was looking for a load-and-go solution.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

What do you want the weather skin to look like? There are literally hundreds if not thousands on http://www.deviantart.com/customization/skins/sysmonitor/rainmeter/newest/?q=weather. Or you can zero in some with http://rainmeter.deviantart.com/gallery/45661671/Weather. Find one you like, and it it gives you trouble, just tell give us a link to the one you are using, tell us your country, city, state, and someone will be happy to help you.

Here's a good one.. ;-)

http://jsmorley.deviantart.com/art/WXDataWeather-2-1-603776448
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

The widget (skin) in question is Win10Widgets Large Weather.

The error (-1) means that the webparser can not find any information match, usually due to the location setting. The weather service has a habit of changing available locations from time to time, and that may be why it stopped working for you.

I have the skin working without any problem.

If you never set a location, this skin will try to use your IP address to find the correct weather; this does not always work because your IP service may be many miles away from your physical location.

I would recommend right-clicking on the skin, and selecting 'Custom skin actions', 'Set location (auto: off)'.
2017-05-12_22-29-25.png
This will open an input window where the weather info appears. In that window, type your zipcode and press 'Enter' to set it.
2017-05-12_22-29-41.png
The weather window will appear and if it worked, show you the weather.
If it still does not work, try the above steps again, but this time try putting in your 'Your City(or a nearby City), ST' and again, press 'Enter' to set it.

If all this fails, post your location info here and we can try to find a solution.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

fanattic1 wrote:I guess I am in over my head. All I did was download the program from rainmeter.net and start it.
I wasn't planning on doing anything beyond using the weather widget that came with it.
Well, I didn't install a fresh Rainmeter a while ago, but as far as I can remember, the newly installed Rainmeter, doesn't have a weather skin (be careful, in Rainmeter those are not widgets, but skins). Maybe in the meantime something changed, but I think that's the situation with illustro. So, what weather skin are you talking about?