It is currently April 26th, 2024, 9:27 am

Editing Icons.

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
Lynkon

Editing Icons.

Post by Lynkon »

Ive recently just started using rainmeter and am currently using Desktop +++ by fifteyniner.
Ive slowly made my way around everything like editing the buttons and stuff but my only problem is how to change the icons.

ls1Name1= Warframe
ls1Icon1= #@#\shortcutIcons\temp.png
ls1Shortcut1= ["steam://run/230410"]

ls1Name8= Discord
ls1Icon8= #@#\shortcutIcons\temp.png
ls1Shortcut8= ["C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Discord\app-0.0.297\Discord.exe"]

Does anyone know how to replace the #%#\shortcuticons\/temp.png with my own icons?

If anyone could help that would be great.

Cheers, Lynkon
Bekarfel

Re: Editing Icons.

Post by Bekarfel »

Well, the first thing you would need is an icon to replace the current icon. The icon you want (and how you get it) is really up to you.

After you've got your icon (in preferrably png format, but .ico, .jpg, .bmp, among others would work) replace the file at #@#\ShortcutIcons\Temp.png with your icon
(#@# is rainmeter shorthand for the @resources folder for the current skin, so for example \Rainmeter\Skins\Desktop+\@resources\ShortcutIcons\Temp.png )
moshi wrote:there are many Rainmeter skins that aren't really useful, so let's add another one.
jsmorley wrote:I have good news and bad news.
First the bad news. [...] We would be happy to have this happen and would love to work with anyone who is feeling ambitious.
Now the good news.
I lied, there isn't any good news...
Lynkon

Post by Lynkon »

Hey thanks for the help. I understand the concept but i cant find the @resources folder.
This may be incorrect but is the correct directory C:\User\USERNAME\AppData\Rainmeter\Layouts\Desktop+\????
mak_kawa

Post by mak_kawa »

The full-path of the @Resources folder of Desktop+++ as default is C:\Users\(username)\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\Desktop+++\@Resources, I think. Forgive me if not correct.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Lynkon wrote:i cant find the @resources folder.
This may be incorrect but is the correct directory C:\User\USERNAME\AppData\Rainmeter\Layouts\Desktop+\????
Usually indeed the path posted by mak_kawa above could be correct, but not necessarily. The path of the skins can be set, through the settings.
Two ways to find out the path of the Skins folder:
  • Right click the Rainmeter notification area icon, then click Edit settings. The path of the Skisn folder is indicated into the SkinPath variable, in the [Rainmeter] section.
  • Add the following string meter to the code of any skin:

Code: Select all

[MeterPath]
    Meter=STRING
    X=0
    Y=0
    Padding=15,5,15,5
    FontColor=220,220,220
    SolidColor=0,0,0,150
    FontSize=8
    FontFace=Segoe UI
    StringStyle=BOLD
    StringAlign=LEFT
    AntiAlias=1
    Text=#SKINSPATH#
    This meter will show the path. If you add a LeftMouseUpAction=[!SetClip "#SKINSPATH#"] option to the same [MeterPath] meter, you'll be able to copy this path, with a click.
Now, if you found out the path of the Skins folder, the absolute path of the needed @Resources folder will be the path of the Skins, followed either by Desktop+++\@Resources, or Desktop+\@Resources (I'm not very sure what is the name of the Config, because in two different places you've talked about two different names: Desktop+++ in the initial post and a Desktop+ layout name in your last post). As mak_kawa said, usually this is C:\Users\(username)\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\Desktop+++\@Resources.
Lynkon

Post by Lynkon »

I am so sorry but i am still having trouble. If you could try explain it in a way that an amateur could understand maybe i could
understand?
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Lynkon wrote:If you could try explain it in a way that an amateur could understand maybe i could
understand?
Ok, let's try.
Your initial question was about replacing the icon (in fact the image!) of an image meter, with your own image:
Lynkon wrote:Does anyone know how to replace the #%#\shortcuticons\/temp.png with my own icons?
The option you've posted there is a bit messed up, instead of the #[color=#FF0000]%[/color]#[color=#FF0000]\[/color]shortcuticons\[color=#FF0000]/[/color]temp.png path, you should have #[color=#FF0000]@[/color]#shortcuticons\temp.png, but I think not this was the problem.
So, to replace the image, first save the image you'd like to use, into the @Resources folder of your config.

Now, before we move further, let's clarify a few notions:
The root config is the "highest-level folder under the skins folder for the current skin" (manual). In the case of the mentioned skin, this is Desktop+++, created under the Skins folder. The Skins folder most probably has the following path: C:\Users\YourName\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins, but not necessarily (see above, my previous post).
Into the Desktop+++ folder, you have a @Resources folder. Lately every resource used by your skin (like images, sounds, addons or other executables) would be best to be placed into this folder. The initial images indeed are placed into this folder: ls1Icon1=#@#\shortcutIcons\temp.png. In this case, the temp.png is placed into the shortcutIcons folder, created under the @Resources. Every time you want to use the @Resources folder into a skin, you don't have to write its full path, because the #@# sign means exactly this @Resources folder. Its the job of Rainmeter to locate this folder, you don't have to be concerned about this: it will succeed every time.

Now about replacing the image (icon), as I said above, save the new image somewhere into the @Resources folder. Not necessarily directly into the @Resources, you can place it into a subfolder of the @Resources, important is to be somewhere under the @Resources folder.
If you did all this, just have to replace the ls1Icon1 variable, with the new path: ls1Icon1=#@#Folder1\Folder2\YourImage.png. when you refresh the skin, it'll use the new image, which was set up with the new variable. Obviously if the path is incorrect, the skin won't show up the image and you'll get an error message into the log.

And just one more: #@# contains a backslash, so the best would be the ls1Icon1=#@#Folder1\Folder2\YourImage.png, form, not ls1Icon1=#@#[color=#FF0000]\[/color]Folder1\Folder2\YourImage.png (you have a such extra backslash into both initial values of the ls1Icon1 and ls1Icon8 variables). However, adding one or even more backslashes, is not a problem, Rainmeter will work: read the P.S. of this post.

I hope very much that this description doesn't look too long and could clarify some things. Did it?