It is currently March 29th, 2024, 9:16 am

Thread for help with the Shape meter

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Thread for help with the new Shape meter

Post by jsmorley »

balala wrote: October 29th, 2019, 7:40 am Just to simplify a little bit the expression (as Yincognito otherwise already posted), I definitely would rewrite the Shape=Rectangle 1,1,180,([Footer2:Y]+[Footer2:H]),5 | Fill Color 0,0,0,50 | StrokeWidth 2 | Extend StrokeAlpha option as Shape=Rectangle 1,1,180,[Footer2:YH],5 | Fill Color 0,0,0,50 | StrokeWidth 2 | Extend StrokeAlpha. It's practically the same thing, but it's shorter: https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/variables/section-variables/#XWYH
Yes, I forgot about that new section variable option balala...
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

jsmorley wrote: October 29th, 2019, 12:24 pm Yes, I forgot about that new section variable option balala...
It happens to all of us from time to time. :great:
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

balala wrote: October 29th, 2019, 7:40 amJust to simplify a little bit the expression [...]
Yeah, I have to admit I didn't quite get why those [Meter:XW] and [Meter:YH] section variables were introduced in Rainmeter at the beginning (as one could always add X&W and Y&H respectively), but it turns out it helps a lot with simplifying things. If it did simplify things for a single meter (sl23's case), you can imagine how much it simplifies a Max() formula involving all the meters in a skin (assuming one needs the width and height of a skin that includes arbitrarily positioned and sized meters - like those in an animation, for example). The only thing that still complicates a bit calculating the dimensions of a true dynamic shape-based background is the padding, especially when it's not consistent throughout the skin's meters.

It was actually my first time using those section variables... :D
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
sl23

Post by sl23 »

Ok thanks for all your help, really appreciate it :D
And the Tip from balala, I like anything that reduces code! Good for my OCD :rofl:

As a little note, mathematically, YH should mean YxH not Y+H. Least that's what I learnt! :p
- MuLab -
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

sl23 wrote: October 29th, 2019, 2:10 pmAs a little note, mathematically, YH should mean YxH not Y+H. Least that's what I learnt! :p
:???:
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

sl23 wrote: October 29th, 2019, 2:10 pm Ok thanks for all your help, really appreciate it :D
And the Tip from balala, I like anything that reduces code! Good for my OCD :rofl:

As a little note, mathematically, YH should mean YxH not Y+H. Least that's what I learnt! :p
No, it's Y+H...
sl23

Post by sl23 »

- MuLab -
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

sl23 wrote: October 29th, 2019, 2:49 pm I think you'll find I'm right
https://www.answers.com/Q/Letters_together_in_algebra
Oh sorry, I see what you are saying. No, that is not a "mathematical formula" in any sense of the word, but a "function" that we have implemented to combine the value of X and the value of W or the value of Y and the value of H. It is simply shorthand for X+W or Y+H.
sl23

Post by sl23 »

Ok, so it's used differently in programming? Or just Rainmeter? Which only works traditionally if used in a calc?
:???:

Just to make things more confusing :lol:
- MuLab -
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

sl23 wrote: October 29th, 2019, 2:57 pm Just to make things more confusing :lol:
No, it's not confusing at all. What jsmorley said is ok. [MyMeter:YH] means the vertical position of the meter, plus its height. This way you get the "end" (the coordinate of the lower edge) of the meter.
Mu multiplication.