It is currently April 20th, 2024, 3:40 pm

Weather not working?

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
Wim

Re: Weather not working?

Post by Wim »

dvo wrote: March 7th, 2020, 1:57 pm the translations in the skin are poor, made my one...
I was just looking at Hiphopium's Material Weather skin with the idea of doing the same. The dutch translation is indeed extemely poor but you can get it all in your own language directly from weather.com anyway. A more serious thing is that both Material Weather and Realistic Weather Forecast 5 have a resizing option. You can change the size by turning your middle mouse button. The point is that i use a laptop with a touchpad. When i try to to resize any of these two skins by using my touchpad (i don't use a mouse) Rainmeter immediately crashes.

I don't really have a need for these features so i disabled them, but it might create issues for other users.
Wim

Post by Wim »

Hihihi. Great. Here's my own. (I still have to look at the current conditions text)
Weer.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wim

Post by Wim »

dvo wrote: March 7th, 2020, 3:19 pm you have the small version mine is a bit bigger and semi transpant ...:) and a matching time and date to and a new curved player :lol:
Looks good ... ! :thumbup:
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

balala wrote: March 7th, 2020, 1:18 pm Come on guys, I know about the prohibition of skin request, however I think that if we want to help, we have to at least start to rewrite the needed skin, because for a beginner (what probably dasxardas is) it is extremely hard to rewrite such a complex skin, how these weather skins became, or probably is close to impossible. Posting some links to the descriptions needed to be followed in most cases doesn't help.
So:

I begun to rewrite the skin, in order to get it to work with the weather.com. It's far away from being finished, however it's a start. Attached you find the (partially) rewritten skin. Please install it and let me know how does it work. If it does, we'll continue to rewrite it, to get it fully working. I had to recreate the whole skin installer, because beside rewriting some codes of the existing files, I also added some new files.
Yes, the lose of WXData as a source is creating a lack of working weather skins and so some relaxing of the policy can be given to request like this.

I converted the weather and settings skins to work with the JSON data.

I strongly recommend using the original translations by HipHopim, and NOT setting the TWC language variable. Those translations are based on an English language and setting TWC to respond in any other language will cause problems.

Here is a new rmskin package of Realistic Weather Forecast 5 that should work as a replacement.

rwf5.png
EDIT: Corrected moon image display issue when using languages. V 1.2020.03.09 and returned Translations to the settings.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

eclectic-tech wrote: March 7th, 2020, 6:03 pm Yes, the lose of WXData as a source is creating a lack of working weather skins and so some relaxing of the policy can be given to request like this.
For sure. As I said, for a beginner is practically impossible (or at least close to) to rewrite the skin and get it working.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

balala wrote: March 7th, 2020, 6:08 pm For sure. As I said, for a beginner is practically impossible (or at least close to) to rewrite the skin and get it working.
I slightly disagree, balala. It depends on how much that beginner wants to make it work. I helped beginners (and people with more serious problems "up there" - if you know what I mean - than being beginners) do quite well in various areas in computers. If you really want to do something, being a beginner never stops you. Never. The only question is the amount of time and effort you put into it, that's all.

That being said, kudos to you two for making what others were not even interested in trying. Yeah, I know, I'm pretty sharp on this topic, but lack of ability is one thing (that we can all understand), lack of will to get what you want is a completely different one. For the latter case, I just let things be ... but that's just me, feel free to disagree. :D
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Yincognito wrote: March 7th, 2020, 7:20 pm I slightly disagree, balala. It depends on how much that beginner wants to make it work. I helped beginners (and people with more serious problems "up there" - if you know what I mean - than being beginners) do quite well in various areas in computers. If you really want to do something, being a beginner never stops you. Never. The only question is the amount of time and effort you put into it, that's all.

That being said, kudos to you two for making what others were not even interested in trying. Yeah, I know, I'm pretty sharp on this topic, but lack of ability is one thing (that we can all understand), lack of will to get what you want is a completely different one. For the latter case, I just let things be ... but that's just me, feel free to disagree. :D
And I slightly disagree here as well. I don't contest that trying is quite important, but note that these weather skins became quite complex and usually have a lot of included files. Someone who never seen Rainmeter codes and never worked with them, doesn't even know where to look, what to search and what to work with. I still believe it is extremely hard to rewrite such a weather skin, probably they are discouradged from the beginning to start to work with them. They have to get used to work with Rainmeter codes, but this can't be done through a newer weather skin. And still believe for them is not a help to post a link to any kind of description, even detailed, on how those skins can be rewritten.
My opinion...
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

balala wrote: March 7th, 2020, 7:34 pm And I slightly disagree here as well. I don't contest that trying is quite important, but note that these weather skins became quite complex and usually have a lot of included files. Someone who never seen Rainmeter codes and never worked with them, doesn't even know where to look, what to search and what to work with. I still believe it is extremely hard to rewrite such a weather skin, probably they are discouradged from the beginning to start to work with them. They have to get used to work with Rainmeter codes, but this can't be done through a newer weather skin. And still believe for them is not a help to post a link to any kind of description, even detailed, on how those skins can be rewritten.
My opinion...
Yeah, well, I guess we agree to disagree here, LOL. The process summarized by SilverAzide in the linked post seems fairly easy even for a beginner (and jsmorley made every effort to be like that). If this was about making / modifying skins in general, I would have fully agreed that it was difficult for a beginner, but deleting some WebParser sections, copying 3-4 files in a folder and then trying to get a single field like temperature by correlating the value of a MeasureName option with one of the names present in the copied files doesn't seem rocket science to me, no matter how much of a beginner one is. Why a single field? Because once the "beginner" knows how to do a single field, he would have no problem doing the same for the rest.

But then again, some expect things on a plate every time, so it is what it is.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Yincognito wrote: March 7th, 2020, 8:27 pm But then again, some expect things on a plate every time, so it is what it is.
Yep. Much easier, isn't it?
dasxardas

Post by dasxardas »

eclectic-tech wrote: March 7th, 2020, 6:03 pm Yes, the lose of WXData as a source is creating a lack of working weather skins and so some relaxing of the policy can be given to request like this.

I converted the weather and settings skins to work with the JSON data.

I strongly recommend using the original translations by HipHopim, and NOT setting the TWC language variable. Those translations are based on an English language and setting TWC to respond in any other language will cause problems.

Here is a new rmskin package of Realistic Weather Forecast 5 that should work as a replacement.
Google Drive Link: Download the RMSKIN.ini

rwf5.png
Thanks a lot! Great job, I now updating czech translation and I'm making little changes in layout