It is currently March 28th, 2024, 2:27 pm

Weather not working?

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
SquaredCircle

Weather not working?

Post by SquaredCircle »

I just upgraded to v.3.3.1 yesterday, and everything was fine. I woke up this morning to find a blank weather widget. I tried upgrading to v.4.0 beta to see if that would fix it, but nothing. This is making me think that perhaps Yahoo changed something with their coding. Is anyone else having this problem?

EDIT: Thanks to moshi for an updated feed URL.
moshi wrote:here's something for you all:

http://xml.weather.yahoo.com/forecastrss?w=550763&u=c
EDIT2: Not working again.
Last edited by SquaredCircle on April 16th, 2016, 9:16 pm, edited 5 times in total.
GaspingSpark

Re: Weather not working?

Post by GaspingSpark »

Yahoo weather stopped working for me too. It seems to be requiring OAuth authentication now which Rainmeter doesn't support.

To increase the security measure and better serving our YDN customers, weather data source will enforce OAuth 1 starting March 15, 2016. Please update your API calls with OAuth 1 enabled (via the OAuth /v1/yql end point if using YQL) using your Yahoo App key and secret.
Yahoo needs to just hurry up and die. :(
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

The regular Yahoo weather feed is fine for me.
GaspingSpark

Post by GaspingSpark »

It's working for me now too. Hopefully it was just a temporary glitch.

It was returning:

Code: Select all

<yahoo:error xml:lang="en-US" yahoo:uri="http://yahoo.com">
  <yahoo:description>Please provide valid credentials. OAuth oauth_problem="OST_OAUTH_PARAMETER_ABSENT_ERROR", realm="yahooapis.com"</yahoo:description>
  <yahoo:detail>Please provide valid credentials. OAuth oauth_problem="OST_OAUTH_PARAMETER_ABSENT_ERROR", realm="yahooapis.com"</yahoo:detail>
</yahoo:error>
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Well, it's not to say they are not in the process of killing the easy / open feed and insisting on an API key and OAuth. Guess time will tell. But I think the change is only for those using their query language, which isn't really needed for a weather skin.
SquaredCircle

Post by SquaredCircle »

Working for me again, too. Thanks for the responses.

Now it's not again.
nobodyx01

Post by nobodyx01 »

Most of my downloaded weather skins are broken too. Is this a thing to wait out? Or can it be fixed at all on my end?
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Yeah, I'm getting this right now on a Yahoo weather skin:

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?><yahoo:error xmlns:yahoo="http://www.yahooapis.com/v1/base.rng" xml:lang="en-US" yahoo:uri="http://yahoo.com"><yahoo:description>Please provide valid credentials. OAuth oauth_problem="OST_OAUTH_PARAMETER_ABSENT_ERROR", realm="yahooapis.com"</yahoo:description><yahoo:detail>Please provide valid credentials. OAuth oauth_problem="OST_OAUTH_PARAMETER_ABSENT_ERROR", realm="yahooapis.com"</yahoo:detail></yahoo:error>
Don't know for sure if this is just some glitch while they are rolling out this OAuth stuff with the Yahoo API's, or if it will be a real problem.

An alternative is to use the WXData feed from Weather.com.
nobodyx01

Post by nobodyx01 »

Huh. Well hopefully there will be a tutorial or something along those lines to fix up any weather skins that are down because of this whole fiasco. I wouldn't want to wait a few months just to get an update from a older skin that I still use.

Better yet everything is resolved in a few days and all the weather skins that work with Yahoo still work! I can only hope
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

nobodyx01 wrote:Most of my downloaded weather skins are broken too. Is this a thing to wait out? Or can it be fixed at all on my end?
Not working here either... :-(
(jsmorley beat me...)
If the skins do not respond in a day or two, then it might be time to find a different source for the weather data... but I would wait for confirmation that these skins will no longer work, before making any changes to the skins.