It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:35 pm

second/third screen preview box

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
jsmorley
Developer

Re: second/third screen preview box

Post by jsmorley »

dgrace wrote:Maybe I didn't describe it clearly. I'll whip up a branch to test it and fire off a pull request so you can see what I mean.

dave
Ok. I still don't think it makes sense. Having a global var with the mouse position at the start of an update loop, or at the end of an update loop, or anywhere in the update loop, is just virtually useless in my view. You can't use it in any practical way until the skin is redrawn at the end of the loop, and by then your mouse is miles away.
dgrace
Developer

Post by dgrace »

Ah, never mind: I figured out another way to do it without requiring anything new on the Rainmeter side. Try this one:

dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

dgrace wrote:Ah, never mind: I figured out another way to do it without requiring anything new on the Rainmeter side. Try this one:

dave
That's really cool.. It did crash Rainmeter and make my entire Windows unstable (logging out and back in to restart explorer got things back ok) after leaving it running for 10 minutes or so and just doing normal stuff around the screen(s), but it's a neat idea.
dgrace
Developer

Post by dgrace »

jsmorley wrote:That's really cool.. It did crash Rainmeter and make my entire Windows unstable (logging out and back in to restart explorer got things back ok) after leaving it running for 10 minutes or so and just doing normal stuff around the screen(s), but it's a neat idea.
Ah interesting! I got that bug too but thought it was due to some other code I was working on at the same time. Back to the drawing board I guess... ;)

dave
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

dgrace wrote:Ah interesting! I got that bug too but thought it was due to some other code I was working on at the same time. Back to the drawing board I guess... ;)

dave
If I was a suspicious person, I'd bet tempted to look at the endless recursion that happens when you move the cursor over the skin itself. By the time you hover over it for a couple of seconds, you are basically asking it to magnify to the quark level. Quantum Rainmeter... Killed Schrödinger's cat ;-)
dgrace
Developer

Post by dgrace »

I think it might have been a null pointer I didn't check for. See if this is more stable:

dave

Edit: nope, that one crashed too. I suspect evil thread interactions.
Last edited by dgrace on November 16th, 2015, 12:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

dgrace wrote:I think it might have been a null pointer I didn't check for. See if this is more stable:

dave
I'll do that. Hey, one thing. You really need to increment the version numbers in your code, or Rainmeter by default won't install the new version of the plugin. It only installs "newer" versions, and you have to specifically force it to install older or the same versions.
dgrace
Developer

Post by dgrace »

jsmorley wrote:I'll do that. Hey, one thing. You really need to increment the version numbers in your code, or Rainmeter by default won't install the new version of the plugin. It only installs "newer" versions, and you have to specifically force it to install older or the same versions.
Is that in the skin .ini file? Or in the .rc for the plugin?

dave
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Here's the code I am using. This is actually moderately useful while working on a skin to be sure you have things lined up as exactly as possible.

Code: Select all

[Rainmeter]
Update=250
DynamicWindowSize=1
AccurateText=1

[MeasureScreen]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=ScreenShot
ScreenX=(#SCREENSHOTMOUSEX# - 100)
ScreenY=(#SCREENSHOTMOUSEY# - 50)
ScreenW=200
ScreenH=100
ImageName=#CURRENTPATH#frame.bmp
DynamicVariables=1

[MeterBack]
Meter=Image
W=404
H=204
SolidColor=0,0,0,255

[MeterScreen]
Meter=IMAGE
ImageName=#CURRENTPATH#frame.bmp
DynamicVariables=1
AntiAlias=1
X=2
Y=2
W=400
H=200
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

dgrace wrote:Is that in the skin .ini file? Or in the .rc for the plugin?

dave
In the .rc for the plugin.