It is currently March 28th, 2024, 10:00 am

Google calendar XML replacement

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
gvita

Google calendar XML replacement

Post by gvita »

hi, I've got a question there's a skin that has a calendar that shows google calendar through XML that won't be suported from november.
So my question is if it can be replaced using HTML or ICAL and how.
the skin is FLaTTs Final
balala
Rainmeter Sage

'm

Post by balala »

Sorry for this very late reply, but looking to the code of the GoogleCalendar2 skin (or the Calendar skin as both are included into that package), I have the impression that this skin is a plain calendar skin, using just time measures. Sorry if I'm wrong, but I think that the only place where it is has any connection with any web resource is the [MeterTitle] meter, which can be clicked to open the https://www.google.com/calendar URL. But the skin itself works as a simple calendar and I don't think it won't after november. You don't have to make anything with it.
In adition (sorry, but just to promote my skins) I also have a calendar skin, which for sure will work for an unspecified period. In fact I just improved an existing skin. So, it's not entirly my work, but you could try it. As the rmskin file is too large to be uploaded here, it's on FileFactory and you can download it from this address.
MikeG621

Re: Google calendar XML replacement

Post by MikeG621 »

While I haven't looked at the skin he's referencing, I believe he's referring to the problem I pointed out in this thread, is that skins based on the XML (such as Enigma > Sidebar > Reader > Gcal) are SOL without turning into HTML scrapers.
hdieterich

Post by hdieterich »

The Google calendar skin in Gnometer does not work since Google Calendar dropped XML. Neither does the one in Enigma, since both of them use the XML feed which no longer exists. Is there any workaround? Is there a skin that uses the HTML or ICal feeds?
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

hdieterich wrote:Is there any workaround? Is there a skin that uses the HTML or ICal feeds?
Here I have an "offline" calendar (the package also includes a clock and a weather skin). Because the package is too large, I had to upload it to FileFactory. It don't use any web resource, so you won't have this kind of troubles with it. Last enhancement I made was the functional previous/next month buttons. Check it please and let me know if it's good for your needs.
hdieterich

Post by hdieterich »

The offline calendar is all very nice, but since what I want is actually my calendar appointments from Google Calendar, it isn't really what I'm looking for.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

I think you can't find a good solution, as if the Google dropped XML, you won't be able to access your saved dates (if I'm not wrong). In this case, even if you find an alternative, it won't have those dates.
Instead of looking for some similar solution, I'd try to add to the "offline" calendar some sections to can enter dates, events and see them. The disadvantage would be that if you're using the same skin on more computers, you should enter the events on each computer (or at least to copy some inc file from one to the others).
Iahneferu2

Post by Iahneferu2 »

Has anyone found a replacement or some kind of solution for this yet?
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Iahneferu2 wrote:Has anyone found a replacement or some kind of solution for this yet?
Not for the Google Calendar, but as I've said above, here is package which has an offline calendar skin. I've created this suite a while ago. You can add events on the Calendar (by clicking to a day) and the skin will announce you on the appropriate day.
rick-t-fiedrain

Post by rick-t-fiedrain »

Enigma DOES work with ics files. I'm using an adjusted version of Engima to create a calendar for my mom, who has dementia.

It is a simple output that lists the next four items from her dedicated google calendar account.

This is what it looks like:
fullscreencalendarsample.png

Behind the scenes in Enigma you need to configure the google calendar account in the file "options.inc" under the User folder as shown in the screengrab below (the white space is where I zapped out my mom's account info)
fullscreencalenroptions.png
Using the calendar.lua and reader.lua files, Enigma parses the calendar details and organizes them for display as it would for any feed that the Reader module would put to the screen.

MAKING IT HAPPEN:

When you start with the basic Enigma suite the output from the .ics processing will show up as a small little box of info that is hard to read. Achieving the full screen display that I have for my mom required a lot of tinkering with the lua files, and then adding rainmeter magic on the back end to achieve the final look.

BACKGROUND INFO: On this calendar you can see that Brian, my brother, is going by to have breakfast with my mom at 8am. People with dementia tend to forget to eat and often times waste away. That is why each calendar day has the GOTTA EAT reminder entry at 8:28am.

The calendar is on a dedicated Lenovo computer on her kitchen table. It's configured to boot up right to the rainmeter calendar program without any logins etc. I also worked up an audrino motion detector to turn on the screen whenever she walks near the computer.

The one limitation that I've run into is that each entry that you see on the screen must be a separate entry in the google calendar. In other words, repeating events (like Dinner every day at 5pm) will NOT show up. I used the zapier service to bulk load all of her Lunch, Dinner and similar repeating entries through the year 2020.

There are several other features designed to help my mom through her day. In the screen grab below there is a countdown clock in the upper left corner. It counts down during the hour before an event . the 'NOW' box at the top / center displays when that countdown has hit zero and the event or activity is underway (she is a big Notre Dame fan).
20170316_121510.jpg
Weather info is also provided.

I can upload the hacked up Enigma full screen calendar later today if there is interest.

RICK