It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:02 pm

Google calendar XML replacement

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
ikarus1969

Re: Google calendar XML replacement

Post by ikarus1969 »

Hi Rick,

i would be interested in the full-screen calendar you've made for your mom, so please upload your package.

Thank you!
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

I am NOT crying! Shut up!
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

"Hey Look! It's Lazarus..."

Very Interested in seeing what you accomplished...
rick-t-fiedrain

Post by rick-t-fiedrain »

Sorry for the delay in getting this to you. Busy day.

Her is the link to download the skin. It is large and it is not very efficient with resources since it runs on it's own dedicated computer. But, it works.

Ihttps://drive.google.com/file/d/13J2yAWKIGnAifbakdDnuP0t9g_JAgypp/view?usp=drivesdk

After install and startup, you should see a working TEST calendar showing the next four calendar items.

WHAT GETS IMPORTED FROM GOOGLE
These are the google calendar fields that are parsed and imported into the skin for use:

TITLE - becomes the HEADLINE for each item.
DESCRIPTION - becomes the SECONDARY LINE of detail
START DATE - remains the calendar date of the event
START TIME - remains the hour and minute information for the event to begin

Popular fields in Google Calendar that DO NOT reach the Full Screen Calendar:
END TIME
END DATE
ALL DAY CHECKBOX
NOTIFICATION
BUSY
GUEST RELATED CHECKBOXES

WHAT YOU WILL SEE:
The default setting is to show the next four items in the calendar.

If you are within one hour of an event, you'll also see the countdown clock in the upper left corner.
count.png
People with dementia have trouble with short term memory. if you've ever gone into a room only to forget why, dementia is like that only it happens with almost everything you do. Details become so fleeting that a person with dementia will ask repeatedly 'what day is it?' and have no idea that they've asked it five times in the past 30 minutes. The countdown clock and calendar helps keep them focused and on time.

When the count hits ZERO a 'NOW' box appears over the displays' headline area to remind the person what they are scheduled to do at that time.
now.png
This box slowly fades out over the next half hour.

Events that happen 'today' will have the TIME/DATE box on the left with a blue background.
Events that are scheduled for tomorrow and beyond will have an angled display to avoid confusion between days.

QUICK SETTINGS BUTTONS
At the bottom left of the screen are three buttons:
configbuttons.png
The CLOCK lets you hide the countdown clock from showing. Re-click to toggle it back on.

The number 8 switches the display to show 8 items instead of 4. Click the 4 button to return to the default display.

The EYEBALL is a toggle switch that will HIDE or SHOW the secondary line of information for each entry (the DESCRIPTION field in Google Calendar).

Hovering over any of these buttons will provide help info at the bottom of the screen and show what parts of the display would be affected if chosen.

CONFIGURING YOUR CALENDAR
Below are the steps I took to establish a private link to a google calendar account named 'fullscreencalendardemo@gmail.com' and use the calendar entries to populate the full screen calendar rainmeter skin.

This assumes that google's account settings are at their DEFAULT settings.

First, show the main google calendar page and click the SETTINGS gear button as shown below.
0_clickcalendarsettings.png
Next, you want to change to the SETTINGS page for the calendar you want to use.
1_settingslanding.png
When you reach that calendar's detailed settings, don't change a thing. Just SCROLL and follow the instructions on the screen grab below.
2_settingscopyprivatelink.png
Next, you need to copy the info into the Full Screen Calendar configuration. The configuration file you want to pull up is in the folder "User" and is called "options.inc".

Below is what it looks like and where your specific information needs to go.
3_optionsentries.png
Save the options file and refresh or start up the skin. You should be good to go.

[hr][/hr]

I've lost this post once already so i'm going to submit it at this point. Any questions? Let me know.

RICK
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

Hmm... looks like you also have a problem with the shared file upload...
fullscreen-oops.png
I can tell you have done a great job with this for your mom and would love to try it out.

Thanks again, looking forward to seeing it in action!
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

eclectic-tech wrote:Hmm... looks like you also have a problem with the shared file upload...
I got the same result: Invalid package. Even more, I changed the extension of the downloaded file to zip, and still can't be unpacked, my system saying: Windows cannot open the folder.
So rick-t-fiedrain, please review the package and upload it again.
Attachments
Zip.png
rick-t-fiedrain

Just now seeing thiss. Sorry for the delay.

I'll upload another version in a bit,

Again, sorry.... I'll have additional links coming up in a few.

RICK
rick-t-fiedrain

Hopefully this will get things back on track.

Here are two links to try. One is a .rmskin file the other is a .rar compressed file with the .rmskin inside.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/9983ga3resxgtmi/FullscreencalDemo_1.0.rmskin

http://www.mediafire.com/file/zgqitzjju4i9u8n/FullscreencalDemo_1.0.rar

Email me at rick@r-mitchell.com if there are issues. That will help me address things in a more timely manner.

A couple of notes:

1) This .rmskin was compiled on my backup computer. My main computer went to a blue screen of death upon completion of the .rmskin (using the latest beta). Rainmeter 4.0 is on the backup computer, thus this version of the skin is compiled with 4.0.

2) When I started this demo skin on my backup computer it took a long ... long ... time for the calendar info to come up on the screen. So, if you see a 'processing' message only for the first bit, just wait. It SHOULD come through. I'm going back to see if i can figure out why it took so long to come up. In the mean time, I wanted to get the files to you.

3) The output is configured for a 1920x1080 only (since this was created for one computer and one use only).

Again, sorry for the delay in getting the files fixed. The code is not pretty and there is a lot of enigma extras hanging around, but it does work with google calendar.

RICK
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

Thanks Rick! Really appreciate your persistence to get this shared...
Yikes! It sounds like it fought you all the way! :D

I'll probably be back with questions, but for now I just plan to dissect your code and see what's there.

tjhrulz
Developer

Post by tjhrulz »

Very cool, I forgot/never knew that Enigma supported .ics files. If only I could have known this 3 or 4 years back when I used the XML way in enigma for my gcal.

Also jsmorley I think we now need a crying emoji after this post since we are adding new emojis :P