It is currently April 19th, 2024, 7:19 am

Help with visualizer

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
Nhorm

Re: Help with visualizer

Post by Nhorm »

jsmorley wrote: Well, I'm stumped. Seems to me that for some reason your default output device "endpoint" is not able to separate the audio stream into the FFT "bands" that is needed when you do a "visualizer" using the plugin. I have absolutely no idea how that can suddenly be, or what you might do to attack the problem.

Perhaps the author of the plugin might check in and see this at some point. Hard to say if or when during the holidays and all that.
Ah that's a bummer. Should I try reinstalling rainmeter and see if that would help?
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Nhorm wrote:
Ah that's a bummer. Should I try reinstalling rainmeter and see if that would help?
That is always worth a try, and then I'd be tempted to install or re-install the latest drivers for your sound device. I honestly don't hold out a lot of hope for either, but it can't hurt.
Nhorm

Post by Nhorm »

jsmorley wrote: That is always worth a try, and then I'd be tempted to install or re-install the latest drivers for your sound device. I honestly don't hold out a lot of hope for either, but it can't hurt.
I reinstalled it and it seems to have fixed it! Thanks for helping me out again and all of the suggestions you gave. I'm also using your weather speak skin and it's amazing. :D
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Nhorm wrote: I reinstalled it and it seems to have fixed it! Thanks for helping me out again and all of the suggestions you gave. I'm also using your weather speak skin and it's amazing. :D
Great! Which one fixed it? Re-installing Rainmeter, or the sound drivers?
Nhorm

Post by Nhorm »

jsmorley wrote: Great! Which one fixed it? Re-installing Rainmeter, or the sound drivers?
Reinstalling Rainmeter. Deleted everything before reinstalling it too.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Nhorm wrote: Reinstalling Rainmeter. Deleted everything before reinstalling it too.
Hmm... That is troubling. That smells to me like an earlier skin you got that used AudioLevel.dll (the plugin) installed the plugin as part of the .rmskin. The latest betas of Rainmeter have the plugin included, but included plugins are installed to a different place (Program Files\Rainmeter\Plugins) than a 3rd-party plugin from a .rmskin, which would be in APPDATA\Remote\Rainmeter\Plugins.

Rainmeter should always load and use only the latest, "included" one from Program Files if there is a conflict like that, but it sure sounds like for some reason it wasn't. It was trying to use the 3rd-party one in APPDATA, (or worse yet "both") and there likely was some conflict with functionality.

I suspect it wasn't as much "re-installing Rainmeter" as it was "Deleted everything before" that really corrected the problem. Getting rid of the extra, older AudioLevel.dll pugin in APPDATA allowed the correct one to be loaded and used. We will have to look into that, that should never be needed.

Are you by any chance running Rainmeter in "portable mode"?
Nhorm

Post by Nhorm »

Ooh. Since that was the problem I guess it was a skin that interrupted the audiolevel.dll
I have a feeling it was the Samurize skin I downloaded. Since everytime I tried to load it, it would just crash rainmeter. Didn't notice the visualizer problem until later though. Might just be that skin and I wasn't paying attention to the visualizer at the time.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Nhorm wrote:Ooh. Since that was the problem I guess it was a skin that interrupted the audiolevel.dll
I have a feeling it was the Samurize skin I downloaded. Since everytime I tried to load it, it would just crash rainmeter. Didn't notice the visualizer problem until later though. Might just be that skin and I wasn't paying attention to the visualizer at the time.
A Samurize widget that has a "visualizer" uses a completely different .dll to manage the sound device. I could certainly see a "conflict" with the device if you are running both Samurize with a visualizer and Rainmeter with an AudioLevel plugin skin, in fact I would almost expect that. However, as long as Samurize isn't loaded, there should be no problem, assuming you rebooted to ensure things were "reset".

Puzzling. In any case, glad it is working for you.