It is currently March 29th, 2024, 9:47 am

Help with visualizer

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
Nhorm

Help with visualizer

Post by Nhorm »

Hello everyone! A couple of days ago my visualizer suddenly stopped working like it used to. The bars go up and down at the same time and at the same length. Before it would look like any other visualizers where it moves all over the place some up while some are down. Could anyone help me fix this problem? I know it may not be the visualizer itself because I tried a few others and they do the same thing. Thank you in advance.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Help with visualizer

Post by jsmorley »

The only thing I can think of is to do a full "cold" reboot of your PC. (a full shutdown, so you are sure your sound hardware and drivers are fully "reset")
Nhorm

Post by Nhorm »

jsmorley wrote:The only thing I can think of is to do a full "cold" reboot of your PC. (a full shutdown, so you are sure your sound hardware and drivers are fully "reset")
Thanks for your suggestion and quick reply but I've tried shutting down my computer. I left it turned off last night while I was asleep too. The problem still occured. Would you like to see a picture of the visualizer?
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

No, I do believe you. I'm not sure there is much more help I can bring to this. I can't say I have ever heard of a similar problem, and have no idea what might "suddenly" cause it. Perhaps someone else has run into something similar and can weigh in.

You might want to run this skin:

http://rainmeter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=106515#p106515

And be sure the "default windows output device" is what you think it is.
Nhorm

Post by Nhorm »

jsmorley wrote:No, I do believe you. I'm not sure there is much more help I can bring to this. I can't say I have ever heard of a similar problem, and have no idea what might "suddenly" cause it. Perhaps someone else has run into something similar and can weigh in.

You might want to run this skin:

http://rainmeter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=106515#p106515

And be sure the "default windows output device" is what you think it is.
I believe I found the problem. I opened the logs and it said Error AudioLevel.dll: Invalid Type= . How would I go and fix this?
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Nhorm wrote: I believe I found the problem. I opened the logs and it said Error AudioLevel.dll: Invalid Type= . How would I go and fix this?
Not sure. What it sounds like is that one or more of the "child" measures, the ones that have "Parent=" on them, has a Type setting that for some reason is suddenly no longer supported by the device identified in the "parent" measure with ID= (or most likely the default device, which is what it uses if ID is not specified.)

Assuming you haven't changed anything at all in skins that used to work correctly, that sounds ugly, perhaps a hardware or driver issue. Hard to say.

Are you getting a ton of those errors, one for each of the "child" measures in the skin, or is it just one specific "Type" that is causing the problem?
Nhorm

Post by Nhorm »

jsmorley wrote: Not sure. What it sounds like is that one or more of the "child" measures, the ones that have "Parent=" on them, has a Type setting that for some reason is suddenly no longer supported by the device identified in the "parent" measure with ID= (or most likely the default device, which is what it uses if ID is not specified.)

Assuming you haven't changed anything at all in skins that used to work correctly, that sounds ugly, perhaps a hardware or driver issue. Hard to say.

Are you getting a ton of those errors, one for each of the "child" measures in the skin, or is it just one specific "Type" that is causing the problem?
There's a ton of errors but they all say the same error as the AudioLevel.dll mentioned above.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Just so we can eliminate any "skin" problem, can you see if this skin works properly for you?

http://docs.rainmeter.net/manual-beta/examples/ExampleAudioLevelSpectrum.rmskin
Nhorm

Post by Nhorm »

jsmorley wrote:Just so we can eliminate any "skin" problem, can you see if this skin works properly for you?

http://docs.rainmeter.net/manual-beta/examples/ExampleAudioLevelSpectrum.rmskin
The bars are moving up and down at the same pace still.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Nhorm wrote: The bars are moving up and down at the same pace still.
Well, I'm stumped. Seems to me that for some reason your default output device "endpoint" is not able to separate the audio stream into the FFT "bands" that is needed when you do a "visualizer" using the plugin. I have absolutely no idea how that can suddenly be, or what you might do to attack the problem.

I'd be tempted to install or re-install the latest drivers for your sound device. I honestly don't hold out a lot of hope for that, but it is worth a try and can't hurt.

Perhaps the author of the plugin might check in and see this at some point. Hard to say if or when during the holidays and all that.