It is currently March 29th, 2024, 4:34 am

[Solved] .WAV Playing Issue

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
ScoobSTi

[Solved] .WAV Playing Issue

Post by ScoobSTi »

Hello all,

I seem to have having an issue with the !Play bang. I have an "invisible" skin that opens a popup whenever a new Gmail is detected. That popup tells me I have a new message and is supposed to play a sound, but the sound isn't working.

The sound works on my music players, but Rainmeter won't play it. The log for the skin says "Invalid bang: !Play", but the Rainmeter docs say this is a bang. Anyone know what's happening?

Code: Select all

[Rainmeter]
Update=1000
MouseLeaveAction=!DeactivateConfig "#CURRENTCONFIG#"
MiddleMouseUpAction=!Refresh
RightMouseUpAction=[]
LeftMouseUpAction=[!DeactivateConfig "#CURRENTCONFIG#"]["http://gmail.com"]
OnRefreshAction=[!Draggable 0][!ZPos 2][!Play "#@#\Sounds\Notifications.wav"]
Last edited by ScoobSTi on June 30th, 2014, 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: .WAV Playing Issue

Post by jsmorley »

It's not !Play, just Play. Although it is listed under "bangs", it really isn't one exactly. It is just a system command that isn't directly related to any given skin. For example you could have one skin start a sound and a completely different one stop it. In addition, you can only have one sound playing at a time, Rainmeter-wide.
ScoobSTi

Re: .WAV Playing Issue

Post by ScoobSTi »

Ahh, how did I not see that?! It's missing the exclamation point in the docs; silly me.

I see now, thank you very much! :D
jsmorley
Developer

Re: [Solved] .WAV Playing Issue

Post by jsmorley »

You are not the first, nor will you be the last. I have often gone back and forth whether we should deprecate those Play / PlayStop / PlayLoop commands for !Play / !PlayStop / !PlayLoop just to avoid confusion, but at the end of the day I guess they really just aren't "bangerish" enough to do so.

The fact that they are really independent of the skin they are run from, can't be run from the Rainmeter command line, and are a single-thread to an internal Windows sound routine that allows only one sound to be executed at a time, Rainmeter-wide, makes them just "unbangerish" enough to make it risky to try to slip them by as a bang just to save on folks missing that they don't have the "!" on them. That could cause its own set of confusions.

I could easily make the argument either way really.
Mor3bane

Post by Mor3bane »

I am not using an "!" but my .wav will not play on LeftMouseDownAction=

Code: Select all

[Top7]
Meter=Image
ImageName=#@#button.png
SolidColor=0,0,0,1
ImageTint=#Scanner#
X=941
Y=73
H=40
W=40
ToolTipText=
ToolTipType=1
LeftMouseDownAction=PLAY "#Ping#"

What is wrong with this code?
Last edited by Mor3bane on February 4th, 2017, 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
My DevArt Gallery

There are many ways to be different - there is only one way to be yourself - be amazing at it

The law of averages says what it means; even if you get everything right, you will get something wrong. Therefore; self managing error trapping initiates another set of averages - amongst the errors, some of them will not be errors, instead those instances will appear to be "luck". One cannot complain of the 'appearance' of 'infinite regress of causation', even if it does not have a predictable pattern, only that it requires luck to achieve.
fonpaolo

Post by fonpaolo »

Please, don't post in more places for the same reason, however, are you sure your .wav is where you've indicated in the play bang?
Mor3bane

Post by Mor3bane »

apologies fonpaolo and admins

yes, it is in the main @Resources folder

I edited the .wav with wavpad 7.xx - could that be an issue?
My DevArt Gallery

There are many ways to be different - there is only one way to be yourself - be amazing at it

The law of averages says what it means; even if you get everything right, you will get something wrong. Therefore; self managing error trapping initiates another set of averages - amongst the errors, some of them will not be errors, instead those instances will appear to be "luck". One cannot complain of the 'appearance' of 'infinite regress of causation', even if it does not have a predictable pattern, only that it requires luck to achieve.
fonpaolo

Post by fonpaolo »

Since play is only a command for Windows (in no way Rainmeter plays directly this song), test it directly as a Windows sound.
Mor3bane

Post by Mor3bane »

I'll stop using this thread as the other thread has more info going on.
My DevArt Gallery