It is currently July 27th, 2021, 3:14 pm

My First Skin Help

Help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
MourningStar

Re: My First Skin Help

Post by MourningStar »

Yincognito wrote: July 21st, 2021, 9:51 pm... Will see about this tomorrow - thanks for the idea. ;-)
cool ...

another (hammerhead) idea:

I use SilverAzide's Gadgets and on most, in the upper-right, is a small wrench that when cliked opens a skin settings-type display that does lots of different skin-altering stuff depending on the gadget.

just throwing this out there ...
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

MourningStar wrote: July 22nd, 2021, 6:07 pm cool ...

another (hammerhead) idea:

I use SilverAzide's Gadgets and on most, in the upper-right, is a small wrench that when cliked opens a skin settings-type display that does lots of different skin-altering stuff depending on the gadget.

just throwing this out there ...
LOL, ok, that can be done too, but I'm thinking more to a general solution anyone can use to choose fonts, similar to jsmorley's RainRGB (but using the skin instead of an executable). Whether that can be triggered by context menu or a little icon is relatively easily adjustable.

I already have most of the things I envision working, just didn't have the time to do it. Guess you'l have to wait a bit more till I get the chance to finalize this the way I want. :???:
MourningStar

Post by MourningStar »

Yincognito wrote: July 22nd, 2021, 6:59 pm...Guess you'l have to wait a bit more till I get the chance to finalize this the way I want. :???:
hey, no sweat and definitely no urgency. I can see from your activity here you have much on your plate. And, restless soul that I be, there are other roads to travel and none better traveled than the ones one maps for themselves.

MourningStar

Post by MourningStar »

Yincognito wrote: July 21st, 2021, 7:19 pm... in case the OP is interested, here's the "Font Chooser" at work in his own skin ...
Observation and question :

as I scroll thru the fonts I am observing not seeing all of the fonts on my system. according to the rm manual, I believe they should be appearing. I have many that I have added a while back but I did check to make sure they conform (i.e. ttf/otf). Thoughts?

I have substitued the skin text 'Font : XXXXXXX' with a simple, unobtrusive '*'. All I need to see is the style, which real-time updates via scroll, don't really care to know it's name.With this minor mod and resolving the missing fonts I should be done with this.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

MourningStar wrote: July 22nd, 2021, 8:57 pmas I scroll thru the fonts I am observing not seeing all of the fonts on my system. according to the rm manual, I believe they should be appearing. I have many that I have added a while back but I did check to make sure they conform (i.e. ttf/otf). Thoughts?
Only the fonts from Control Panel - Fonts (and others) are displayed. The fonts you placed in the \@Resources\Fonts subfolder of your skin have nothing to do with those until they are actualy installed in Windows (by right clicking on the TTF/OTF file and choosing Install, if I remember correctly), if that's what you're asking. In other words, placing the font in the \@Resources\Fonts subfolder of your skin doesn't install it in Windows, it only makes it available to Rainmeter.

Other than that, there are other possible commands to get the list of fonts, as I mentioned earlier in this thread. Some commands get more fonts, some get less. That's not a problem as the command can be replaced easily, but the Substitute in the measure will have to be changed accordingly as well. I will see what can be done about it before I will finalize the approach in the near future.
MourningStar

Post by MourningStar »

^
since my sys has 300+ fonts and my interest is in less than 20% of them I prefer to locate them so that only these will scroll
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

MourningStar wrote: July 22nd, 2021, 9:56 pm ^
since my sys has 300+ fonts and my interest is in less than 20% of them I prefer to locate them so that only these will scroll
If you're talking about listing / browsing only through the fonts from a specific folder (could be \@Resources\Fonts or any other), this is possible too, though more steps are required. Just be a bit patient, let's take it one step at a time. Both all fonts and fonts located in a specific folder will eventually be available for browsing, but in this order and in separate (I think - not sure yet) implementations.
MourningStar

Post by MourningStar »

May as well bring this up here as it seems to only surface with this skin.

I shut down my pc daily (we need no discussion on 'why'). I notice at every powerup the skin size keeps reverting to the size at time it's of 'Load'. IOW, when I resize via the mouse scroll and settle on a desired size, the size is not saved for the next pc powerup/restart. I do not know if this is relative, but I have configured my pc to NOT turn the internet on at power on. I turn it on manually only when I use it, always (again, no discussion needed on 'why').

-thx
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

MourningStar wrote: July 22nd, 2021, 9:56 pm ^
Good news - I managed to find some time to work on the font thing today (after working on other things, both here and elsewhere), and the user (you, in this case) will have the option to choose from the operating system fonts and the fonts he places in the \@Resources\Fonts folder of the skin. Everything works perfectly till now, I just want to make other functional and visual adjustments so that I'm content with my work too. For now, it looks like (unfinished visuals, obviously; a font from your skin's @Resources\Fonts folder is displayed):
RainFont.jpg
P.S. I don't like to promise anything, but if all goes well and other stuff don't eat my time, I could hopefully finish it tonight (not sure about the little trigger button, but that could get the pass as well).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

MourningStar wrote: July 24th, 2021, 4:38 pm May as well bring this up here as it seems to only surface with this skin.

I shut down my pc daily (we need no discussion on 'why'). I notice at every powerup the skin size keeps reverting to the size at time it's of 'Load'. IOW, when I resize via the mouse scroll and settle on a desired size, the size is not saved for the next pc powerup/restart.
-thx
Please post your code for the mouse scroll bangs that set the size (scale)... or your entire current skin code (so everyone knows what you are working with currently).

Most likely you have the size variable defined in 2 places, so even though you set it by scrolling, it is not changed in the other place, and resets to that when you refresh.