It is currently April 19th, 2024, 2:49 am

How To Create A Stand Alone Patch For An Existing Skins Suite?

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
CodeCode

How To Create A Stand Alone Patch For An Existing Skins Suite?

Post by CodeCode »

Hi, So I have a few different suites out there and for the most recent (Which looks virtually visually identical to the others), I would like to have a stand alone patch for. That is to say a separate download for those interested to add new features (graphics and necessary inc files to implement functionality options for).

Essentially a rmskin that adds new and/or updated files and graphics to a pre-existing rmskin suite.

I hope to release the patch as an optional update.

Thanks for any information or recommendations.
ƈǟռ'ȶ ʄɨӼ ɨȶ ɨʄ ɨȶ ǟɨռ'ȶ ɮʀօӄɛ - ʊռʟɛֆֆ ɨȶ ɨֆ ɨռ ƈօɖɛ.
deflore08

Re: How To Create A Stand Alone Patch For An Existing Skins Suite?

Post by deflore08 »

CodeCode wrote: November 27th, 2020, 4:54 am Hi, So I have a few different suites out there and for the most recent (Which looks virtually visually identical to the others), I would like to have a stand alone patch for. That is to say a separate download for those interested to add new features (graphics and necessary inc files to implement functionality options for).

Essentially a rmskin that adds new and/or updated files and graphics to a pre-existing rmskin suite.

I hope to release the patch as an optional update.

Thanks for any information or recommendations.
Something telling me, you are already tried it, but.. :???:
How about merge option in rmskin? Or you looking for solution that can do "smart patch" in existing skins on user's PC? If you just need to add some .inc files - use merged skin install. It won't replace existing files, just adding a new ones. What about smart code replace.. I guess, theoretically it's possible, but requires a complicated logic inside a hand-made parser. But i could be wrong here.
Image * Image * Image * Image
CodeCode

Post by CodeCode »

From what I gather, you are saying that a merged option (that page says nothing about merging btw), would be to have a folder system identical to the original, only with the new files as their contents. Following that the rmskin process would simply add or replace any new files either into the respective folder/s or overwriting the same-named files (inc in my case)?

I havent tried anything, seeing as though simply recreating the entire suite and just make it an updated version.

I was just trying to be fancy and have a patcher that someone could simply update. But now i just this moment realised that preserving the original setting the end user would have made, would still not work or be preserved. I think I can do it with a new additional inc file and add that the rmskin way.

eclectic-tech made a patcher for illustro, and I was hoping he would chime in. I'll hang tight maybe he will...
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

I think deflore08 meant to post a link to this page:

https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual-beta/distributing-skins/
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

CodeCode wrote: November 27th, 2020, 4:54 am I would like to have a stand alone patch for. That is to say a separate download for those interested to add new features (graphics and necessary inc files to implement functionality options for).
Why? Not needed as far as I can tell, because if a user installs the whole updated config, he gets overwritten the old files and added the new ones, as well. The updated config will have all features which a newly installed one has. When launching the skin installer, if the installer package includes plugins, you get them unchecked in the Skin Installer if they are the same versions as those installed, and checked the config name and the layout name (if there is any). So after installing it, you get the included files updated, with all functions the newly installed skin has.
No need in my opinion to create a "patch". Just tell the users to install the new package over the old one.
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

I would agree with balala that normally it is best to simply create a complete new package. A patch is useful if you have a suite with many skins and only need to modify a few of them. The updates needed for weather skins, in a suite of skins, is a perfect example of when a patch is better than a complete package.

For single function skins (only weather, only music, etc.) it is better and easier for you, and end users, to just create a new package. :confused:
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

eclectic-tech wrote: November 27th, 2020, 1:02 pm I would agree with balala that normally it is best to simply create a complete new package. A patch is useful if you have a suite with many skins and only need to modify a few of them. The updates needed for weather skins, in a suite of skins, is a perfect example of when a patch is better than a complete package.

For single function skins (only weather, only music, etc.) it is better and easier for you, and end users, to just create a new package. :confused:
But it is better (not mentioning that's much easier), even if there are more skins included. I still don't see why couldn't be done a complete package.
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

balala wrote: November 27th, 2020, 1:14 pm But it is better (not mentioning that's much easier), even if there are more skins included. I still don't see why couldn't be done a complete package.
It can be done in a complete package. but there are advantages to patches. One advantage, to say, a weather patch in a suite versus a complete package, is the end user does not have to redo all of their personal settings; HWiNFO settings alone can take a lot of time to reset. A patch would not require resetting anything not related to the patch update.

So it can be done either way, it is the authors choice on how he wants to offer the changes: redo everything in a suite setup, or offer a correction to a specific item.
CodeCode

Post by CodeCode »

Yes, given the stated facts, a new package all together new, would be best.

Thanks for the input. :great:
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

eclectic-tech wrote: November 27th, 2020, 1:27 pm but there are advantages to patches. One advantage, to say, a weather patch in a suite versus a complete package, is the end user does not have to redo all of their personal settings; HWiNFO settings alone can take a lot of time to reset. A patch would not require resetting anything not related to the patch update.
True. Didn't realize this, but it definitely makes sense. Good point...