It is currently December 12th, 2018, 3:28 pm

Weather related AGAIN.

Help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
User avatar
kyriakos876
Posts: 876
Joined: January 30th, 2017, 2:01 am
Location: Greece

Weather related AGAIN.

kyriakos876 » October 10th, 2018, 12:11 pm

Yea, so.... I'm looking here and I wanted to ask if there's a conclusion to this. Is there some list that is close to representing the icons, or is this as far as I'll go?
User avatar
balala
Rainmeter Sage
Posts: 7161
Joined: October 11th, 2010, 6:27 pm
Location: Gheorgheni, Romania

Re: Weather related AGAIN.

balala » October 10th, 2018, 2:14 pm

kyriakos876 wrote:Yea, so.... I'm looking here and I wanted to ask if there's a conclusion to this. Is there some list that is close to representing the icons, or is this as far as I'll go?
Not sure I understand what are you asking. In the thread you've linked are even two such lists, one for Yahoo Weather (link posted by me) and another for Weather.com (fonpaolo's list).
User avatar
kyriakos876
Posts: 876
Joined: January 30th, 2017, 2:01 am
Location: Greece

Re: Weather related AGAIN.

kyriakos876 » October 10th, 2018, 3:01 pm

balala wrote:Not sure I understand what are you asking. In the thread you've linked are even two such lists, one for Yahoo Weather (link posted by me) and another for Weather.com (fonpaolo's list).
weather.com... I wanted to know if there's a "Final" version of this... not official as there's indeed not one-to-one correlation when it comes to icon-condition.
User avatar
jsmorley
Developer
Posts: 18480
Joined: April 19th, 2009, 11:02 pm
Location: Fort Hunt, Virginia, USA

Re: Weather related AGAIN.

jsmorley » October 10th, 2018, 3:12 pm

There is no one-to-one correlation between icon and condition text.

There are 40 or so icons and icons numbers, which the site uses to indicate a general state. The text conditions can and often are any of thousands of ways of expressing what is going on. Partly Cloudy and Partly Sunny are two ways to define more or less the same thing.
User avatar
kyriakos876
Posts: 876
Joined: January 30th, 2017, 2:01 am
Location: Greece

Re: Weather related AGAIN.

kyriakos876 » October 11th, 2018, 1:28 pm

jsmorley wrote:There is no one-to-one correlation between icon and condition text.

There are 40 or so icons and icons numbers, which the site uses to indicate a general state. The text conditions can and often are any of thousands of ways of expressing what is going on. Partly Cloudy and Partly Sunny are two ways to define more or less the same thing.
So I suppose the lists one the link above are as accurate as it gets?
User avatar
jsmorley
Developer
Posts: 18480
Joined: April 19th, 2009, 11:02 pm
Location: Fort Hunt, Virginia, USA

Re: Weather related AGAIN.

jsmorley » October 11th, 2018, 2:16 pm

kyriakos876 wrote:So I suppose the lists one the link above are as accurate as it gets?
Nope, the lists in the link above are in no way a reflection of what you can get in the conditions text from the site. They are just a general-purpose indication of the kinds of conditions that are likely to trigger that icon.

What I'm saying is that when the operator of the site sets the conditions, he looks out the window. Then he says "Ok, that looks like it's "Cloudy and windy with some fog". The closest icon for that is "27", so he sets "27" in the output, and in the conditions text puts "Cloudy & windy w/fog" or something. I have seen literally hundreds of variations. Ok, so that probably literally how it is done, but that is the effect.

There just is no cross-reference between icon and conditions text. None. The list you reference is just a way for people who create the icons to have some sense of what the icon should look like.
User avatar
kyriakos876
Posts: 876
Joined: January 30th, 2017, 2:01 am
Location: Greece

Re: Weather related AGAIN.

kyriakos876 » October 11th, 2018, 4:58 pm

jsmorley wrote:Nope, the lists in the link above are in no way a reflection of what you can get in the conditions text from the site. They are just a general-purpose indication of the kinds of conditions that are likely to trigger that icon.

What I'm saying is that when the operator of the site sets the conditions, he looks out the window. Then he says "Ok, that looks like it's "Cloudy and windy with some fog". The closest icon for that is "27", so he sets "27" in the output, and in the conditions text puts "Cloudy & windy w/fog" or something. I have seen literally hundreds of variations. Ok, so that probably literally how it is done, but that is the effect.

There just is no cross-reference between icon and conditions text. None. The list you reference is just a way for people who create the icons to have some sense of what the icon should look like.
So it's accurate for the individual who made the list and we hope it suits us?