It is currently March 29th, 2024, 12:37 pm

Making line meter less acute & more like a horizontal mountain range

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
Mor3bane

Making line meter less acute & more like a horizontal mountain range

Post by Mor3bane »

Hiya, I received a tip that TransformationMatrix can be used to "widen" and "make less choppy". However I cannot got my head around the means to make this so.

Code: Select all

[Rainmeter]
Update=1000
AccurateText=1
DynamicWindowSize=1

[MeterBackground]
;Meter=Image
W=220
H=80
SolidColor=150,150,150,255

[MeasureNetIn]
Measure=NetIn

[MeasureNetOut]
Measure=NetOut

[MeterNetworkLine]
Meter=Line
MeasureName=MeasureNetOut
MeasureName2=MeasureNetIn
X=50
Y=50
W=1210
H=770
LineCount=1
LineColor=140,252,124,255
LineColor2=254,211,122,255
SolidColor=0,0,0,255
TransformationMatrix=1; 0; 0; 1; 25; 0
AutoScale=1
AntiAlias=1
I made it really big so I had room to make adjustments. This above code does not seem to have any effect in the direction of my goal. I have managed to crash the skin a few times. :bow:
My DevArt Gallery

There are many ways to be different - there is only one way to be yourself - be amazing at it

The law of averages says what it means; even if you get everything right, you will get something wrong. Therefore; self managing error trapping initiates another set of averages - amongst the errors, some of them will not be errors, instead those instances will appear to be "luck". One cannot complain of the 'appearance' of 'infinite regress of causation', even if it does not have a predictable pattern, only that it requires luck to achieve.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Making line meter less acute & more like a horizontal mountain range

Post by balala »

Not sure I understood what you mean by
Mor3bane wrote:TransformationMatrix can be used to "widen" and "make less choppy".
But I can say TransformationMatrix is a very powerful tool:
using this setting on a meter will allow you to scale it, to rotate it, to flip it, to skew it in any way you choose.
But the only effect of the TransformationMatrix option used by you on the [MeterNetworkLine] meter is that it pushes the meter 25 pixels to right. In the TransformationMatrix=1; 0; 0; 1; 25; 0 option:
  • The first and fourth value are used to scale the meter in two directions, horizontally respectively vertically. Both being set to 1, the meter isn't scaled.
  • The second and third value are used to skew the meter. Their default value is 0, which you've used, so neither skew is applied.
  • The last two values are used to move the meter horizontally and vertically. When non default values are used for the first four values, you have to use these last two values to reposition the meter, otherwise it is move away from its initial position.
So the only non default value used by you, is the fifth 25. This means the only result of applying the TransformationMatrix option is a move of the meter, by 25 pixels to right.
The Transformation Matrix Guide is an extremely good description of what this option can be used for. You have to read it carefully, it's not easy at all, especially not for someone without good math knowledge. But nor impossible to be followed isn't.
If you need further help, please let me know what you meant by "widen" and "make less choppy".
Mor3bane

Post by Mor3bane »

I was given the tip I mentioned here:
eclectic-tech wrote:You might find this tip about stretching histogram/line meters from moshi of some use in trying to create a readable display ... :welcome:
I am trying to get:
too tight.jpg
To look like this:
updownmeasure.jpg
My DevArt Gallery

There are many ways to be different - there is only one way to be yourself - be amazing at it

The law of averages says what it means; even if you get everything right, you will get something wrong. Therefore; self managing error trapping initiates another set of averages - amongst the errors, some of them will not be errors, instead those instances will appear to be "luck". One cannot complain of the 'appearance' of 'infinite regress of causation', even if it does not have a predictable pattern, only that it requires luck to achieve.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Mor3bane wrote:I was given the tip I mentioned here:

I am trying to get:
too tight.jpg

To look like this:
updownmeasure.jpg
Try the following TransformationMatrix: TransformationMatrix=1; 0; 0; [color=#FF0000]0.1[/color]; 0; 0. Here the fourth value (marked red) is the vertical scaling of the meter. 0.1 means scaling to one tenth of the set height of the meter. This TransformationMatrix works well only if the Y value of the meter is set to 0 or very close to 0. You having set Y=50, that's a value which doesn't cause troubles, but if you set a much larger vertical position for the meter, you also have to add a non zero sixth element to the TransformationMatrix option, because this sixth element controls the vertical offset of the meter which has applied the TransformationMatrix.
Although applying the TransformationMatrix is a viable solution, I'm not sure why would you like to complicate your life. Applying a smaller H option to the Line meter, without any TransformationMatrix, has the same effect. Have I missed something?
Mor3bane

Post by Mor3bane »

Thanks balala, for your recommendation.

However, I do not see how simply making the line meter less tall achieves my goal. Having applied both options the Line Meter persists in showing acute spikes rather than a discernable difference between each second of data, only less "tall".

I have also looked at the example I mentioned and it too, over time, is simply "flat" rather than showing a discernable difference between 1000ms updates.

I will have to disseminate between the versions both you and moshi have provided the forum with to find a "happy medium".

Hopefully, I will be able to update in the near future.
My DevArt Gallery

balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Mor3bane wrote:However, I do not see how simply making the line meter less tall achieves my goal. Having applied both options the Line Meter persists in showing acute spikes rather than a discernable difference between each second of data, only less "tall".

I have also looked at the example I mentioned and it too, over time, is simply "flat" rather than showing a discernable difference between 1000ms updates.

I will have to disseminate between the versions both you and moshi have provided the forum with to find a "happy medium".
Oh, ok, now I think I understood what you would like.
Unfortunately I don't see a simple way (at least not now), to achieve that.
Will try to, but I'm not sure yet I'll succeed. We'll see...
Mor3bane

Post by Mor3bane »

Hi balala,
I note that after a restart and a refresh the skin moshi made particularly three.ini works nicely.

What I realised that the exact size of the skin is directly relative to how the TransformationMatrix needs to be formulated.

Admittedly my math is not very strong being a social science major, not math etc.

My goal is a meter roughly 110 pixels high and 240 wide, if that helps any?

I am aware that the linewidth option becomes only able to be "1" with the matrix applied, why I do not know, only that was clarified in moshi's original thread.

Still trying to mash this out, but with meagre maths, I am moving quite slowly.
My DevArt Gallery

balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Could you post the code, which uses moshi's solution, please?
Mor3bane

Post by Mor3bane »

This is what I have: But you will need the frame, as it does not seem to work without it...

Code: Select all

[Rainmeter]
Update=1000

[MeasureNetIn]
Measure=NetIn

[MeasureNetOut]
Measure=NetOut

[MeterGraph]
Meter=Line
MeasureName=MeasureNetIn
X=0
Y=0
W=21
H=80
LineCount=1
LineColor=140,252,124,255
SolidColor=0,0,0,0
AntiAlias=1
TransformationMatrix=4; 0; 0; 1; 14; 12

[MeterGraph2]
Meter=Line
MeasureName=MeasureNetOut
X=0
Y=0
W=21
H=80
LineCount=1
LineColor=104,100,252,255
SolidColor=0,0,0,0
AntiAlias=1
TransformationMatrix=4; 0; 0; 1; 14; 13

[MeterTop]
Meter=Image
ImageName="#@#top.png"
X=0
Y=0
W=
H=
UpdateDivider=-1
The skin functions well, however after a short time the line graph appears to go "flat" which is likely due to an update/refresh issue.
My DevArt Gallery

balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

What you mean by
Mor3bane wrote:the line graph appears to go "flat"
?
Because this is what I get immediately after refresh:
Image.
If I wait a few minutes, I get something similar (as far as I can tell):
Image.
What is the difference?