It is currently April 24th, 2024, 12:10 am

Nomenclature

General topics related to Rainmeter.
Kaelri
Developer

Nomenclature

Post by Kaelri »

It seems like we don't really have a consistent way of referring to things in Rainmeter. I'm sort of curious to find out what different terms mean to different people, to see if there's any consensus to be reached.

In my mind, I've mostly settled on these:
  • Skin: the individual object defined by a .INI file. Multiple files in the same folder are Variants of the same skin.
  • Config: one independent, cohesive set of skins, such as HUD.Vision, Simplicity, Sputnik, Enigma.
  • Theme: any given arrangement of skins set up on one desktop ,as defined by Rainmeter.ini. (I used to use the word "theme" to refer to a config, with with RainThemes in the picture, this makes more sense.
That said, I've heard alternatives like "droplets" proposed, which I would be totally on board with. :)
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Nomenclature

Post by jsmorley »

Kaelri wrote:It seems like we don't really have a consistent way of referring to things in Rainmeter. I'm sort of curious to find out what different terms mean to different people, to see if there's any consensus to be reached.

In my mind, I've mostly settled on these:
  • Skin: the individual object defined by a .INI file. Multiple files in the same folder are Variants of the same skin.
  • Config: one independent, cohesive set of skins, such as HUD.Vision, Simplicity, Sputnik, Enigma.
  • Theme: any given arrangement of skins set up on one desktop ,as defined by Rainmeter.ini. (I used to use the word "theme" to refer to a config, with with RainThemes in the picture, this makes more sense.
That said, I've heard alternatives like "droplets" proposed, which I would be totally on board with. :)
I spend a good bit of my time calling skins "that goddam thing" as I am trying to get Angle= to work... ;-)
Kaelri
Developer

Post by Kaelri »

Good point. Home.ini was getting "I love you" and "you bastard" in roughly equal measure yesterday.
Caledfwlch

Post by Caledfwlch »

Kaelri wrote:Good point. Home.ini was getting "I love you" and "you bastard" in roughly equal measure yesterday.
Ironically, I can think of a few things that carry the same weight for both of those phrases. ;)