It is currently April 18th, 2024, 10:07 pm

Possible Weather.com Fix

General topics related to Rainmeter.
sgtevmckay

Possible Weather.com Fix

Post by sgtevmckay »

I was contacted about this recently, from a good man at DevArt.

you can change the XOAP in the URL for XML

Example:
From this:

Code: Select all

Url=http://xoap.weather.com/weather/local/#dest#?cc=*&unit=#SCALE#&dayf=10
to this

Url=http://xml.weather.com/weather/local/#dest#?cc=*&unit=#SCALE#&dayf=10
Does this work? Absolutely

How long will it work?
Well let me do some math here
Considering a lot of folks are flocking to this fix I am going to say, that Weather.com will snap to the bandwidth
influx real fast and close this site down as well.

When will they shut it down?
I have no idea

To that end I will continue my conversions to AccuWeather :!:

I believe that this URL will only be a temporary fix at best, but you do not have to sign up for all the contractual what-have-ya through Weather.com

Now back to some real work on getting a real solution :!:
Chewtoy

Re: Possible Weather.com Fix

Post by Chewtoy »

I thought we were on "Do absolutely frekking NOT violate their copyright"-terms?
And, doesn't this violate their copyright?
I don't think, therefore I'm not.
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

Thank you ChewToy for bringing the question up, and an opportunity to respond 8-)

Yes it does.

But there is a minor difference, although that transparency may be lost on folks, but since I worked in law enforcement so so long, I think from the criminal mind.

The difference is: The XML we have found is an old back up to Weather.com's XML OAP (XOAP) site, so if one goes down the other is available.
this was provided under an old contractual agreement.

As of July 08, 2009 00:00 EST, those contracts became null and void as the new business agreement went into full effect.
Weather.com has proven an inability to monitor traffic at this site (For whatever unknown reasons), so usage of this site can not be properly tracked at this time.
Due to there being no ability to sign a contract for this particular XML Information set: enforcing the copy righted material would be unlikely in a court of law. It could be argued that if weather.com and it's associates had taken proper steps (as they have with the new contracts) to secure and regulate their information, then the usage would not be freely had.
The US Federal Government is very clear on this: if your information on the internet is not secure, do not come crying when it is stolen.
Since apparently weather.com has not secured this site, or shown any interest in regulating by encryption or proper monitoring, we can use the information as general internet usage privileges, so long as we do not advertise weather.com or utilize their logo in any way (we would not be authorized to advertise weather.com in our skins)!
With their no longer being any binding contractual agreements bound to this web site, it can be considered abandoned internet flotsam.

For the new XML Feed that you are required to sign up for to get your codes and ID, you bet you are bound. You are bound collectively to a whole bunch of things that the average individual will not want to get entangled with.
This code has been assigned to you for individual in hose business and development only. You are expected to follow a lot of strictures in order to maintain your Code and ID from being banned.
Weather.com is finally making their move to secure their information.
Unlike teh XML over XOAP URL: which is open and available, not encrypted, apparently not regulated, and has no contractual binding.

On the other hand this site does belong to a company that is still maintaining the information on an updated timely manner, there for their request of of none usage, except by authorized individuals should be honored, and the copyright respected.
Understand that ChewToy is correct, any usage of this site may be considered piracy.
Weather.com has requested that we respect their information, and I will comply.

Here is the long and short of it all:
  • Can you continue to use the site, I would tentatively tell you yes, but do not depend on a long term of service from the site.
    Is their any current contractual agreement to this XML: No
    Are you violating any copyrighted materials: Possibly!
    Does the new contract I signed up for recently also regulate the XML over XOAP: No absolutely NOT!
    Should I continue to use the XML over XOAP site: I will tell you no, but each as there conscience will allow.
    What harm is there in me using the site? : well let's just say I am close to getting a new community wide contract approved that would be beneficial for the Rainmeter community, and one of their folks happens to catch a recently published skin with the old Back up XML in it.
    Oops: well there goes that deal!
And this is just one possible scenario

I will continue to move forward with the AccuWeather conversion, and I will also continue the dialect with weather.com
As I believe in choices, and the more choices for stuff that we have, better for all Raineers!

I will tell you what really bothers me more than anything else:

that when the XML over XOAP site goes down, we will be doing the current dance all over again.
I really do not want to hear another word, from any corner of the internet, about how We here at Rainmeter failed in some way, and that we need to essentially get our collective foot out of our A**es and get them their weather skin again! :x

this is disrespecting everything that I believe Rainmeter and the community should be, it's members, and supporters. You want your skin now, then build it yourself, everything you need is available right here, and the help to do it, demand nothing more of us, we are busy helping those that want help, not a hand out
:!:
There is approximately eight years worth of skins out there, and the handful of us that are dedicated here can not update them all at once!

apologies for my harsh words, but I have seen so many comre forward to help so many others, and I am sure we are all tired.
We are doing what we can folks :)

Thank you again ChewToy for bringing the question up, and an opportunity to respond :ugeek:
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

From now on folks who come on and say "I downloaded this skin from Deviant Art and it doesn't work right! Why not?" with no other details will just get this video in response.

[rainflash]320,240,http://www.redirectwebhosting2.com/ghall/share/Keyboard_cat.swf[/rainflash]
Play them off Keyboard Cat!
Aquilegia

Post by Aquilegia »

sgtevmckay wrote:I was contacted about this recently, from a good man at DevArt.

you can change the XOAP in the URL for XML

Example:
From this:

Url=http://xoap.weather.com/weather/local/#dest#?cc=*&unit=#SCALE#&dayf=10
to this

Url=http://xml.weather.com/weather/local/#dest#?cc=*&unit=#SCALE#&dayf=10

It works!
Thanks to you! ;)
Forgive my poor English...
ikjadoon

Post by ikjadoon »

And if you're using Enigma's MoxaWeather, change the URL to this:

http://xml.weather.com/weather/local/40475?cc=*&dayf=6
With 40475 being replaced with your zip code. For some reason, the first post's URL didn't work for me. Thank you for this McKay; it helps us Rainmeter-illiterates with our daily tasks. :D

~Ibrahim~
MastahRiz

Post by MastahRiz »

woot. nice fix. Still works
MastahRiz

Post by MastahRiz »

seems to have stopped working now.
maminscris

Post by maminscris »

MastahRiz wrote:seems to have stopped working now.
still works

here http://xml.weather.com/weather/local/ROXX0003?cc=*&unit=m&dayf=6
Zero at programing, zero at writing codes, so far 2 at making images
But I'm good at copy/paste, and I not always like this
MastahRiz

Post by MastahRiz »

Woops, I see you're right. Strangely my weather icons weren't working for the past 3 days-- now suddenly they're back up again.

Thanks!