It is currently April 19th, 2024, 9:48 pm

Config Logistics

General topics related to Rainmeter.
Zxurian

Config Logistics

Post by Zxurian »

In the process of completely reforming my desktop, I'm working piece by piece on Rainmeter configs.

Now while in testing, their in their own .ini file, but once I've got it finalized, is it better to have all of my measures / meters in a single .ini file, or should I keep them separate?

ie, I've got date-time.ini, wireless.ini, network.ini, weather.ini for information along the bottom of my screen. Should I leave them as separate .ini files, or should I combine them into one single deskbar.ini file.

Currently, I just copy/paste the variables section of all my .ini's into the top of all my configs, so that everything is uniform.

I'm wondering in terms of the meters and update times, is it more... "effective" to have a single update for the .ini, then separate UpdateRate's for each measure, or have separate .ini files, each with their own update time.

P.S. Thanx for all the assistance,i love the flexability of rainmeter and can't wait 'till I finally get it just right.
dragonmage
Developer

Re: Config Logistics

Post by dragonmage »

I find it better to have everything in separate configs. It allows you to use different update settings, and rearrange things without editing an .ini.

I guess it's a matter of personal preference, as long as there isn't a performance difference.
Chewtoy

Post by Chewtoy »

I would say; Have both.
Then people can choose to either just take the easy way and just place a bar. Or be more picky and choose which functions they want on display. :)
Just put them in seperate folders and it all works out fine! :D
I don't think, therefore I'm not.
Zxurian

Post by Zxurian »

then let's say I'm going to have multiple Config's. Is there a way to have them all reference a single file for variables? instead of copy/pasing the same variable string at the top of each .ini file?
dragonmage
Developer

Post by dragonmage »

No there isn't. I thought I had posted a feature suggestion for Global Variables, but I guess I didn't. I know I discussed it in a previous post somewhere. It's just as well because you have given me an idea that modifies my original idea, so I would have to correct the post anyways.