It is currently March 28th, 2024, 10:31 pm

Need someone with C#/tech knowledge to say if this is legit or not

General topics related to Rainmeter.
Novadestin

Need someone with C#/tech knowledge to say if this is legit or not

Post by Novadestin »

Hello, everyone. Could someone smarter than me take a quick look at the below just to make sure it's all on the up and up before I approve the post on the rainmeter subreddit?

SongInfoFromSpotifyWindowTitle-Rainmeter on github

Basically, the creator posted the link in the sub with very little info and I, after reading the github description and with little programming knowledge, find the whole thing a bit off. When I asked them for more details, they admitted it does look sketchy, but just repeated what they had already said without adding further detail... except for "I am working on making the program write to the registry, instead of a txt file."

They stated they made it because they "couldn't get webnowplaying to work with spotify" which is equally as off to me because that would have only taken a quick help post to make sure they had everything set up correctly. IDK perhaps it's my lack of programming knowledge, but I would just greatly prefer someone else's word that this is OK.

And, hey, if all is well than at least I will be spreading the word and perhaps someone here can help turn it into a dll like they want.

EDIT: of course, right as I post this, they update things. This is the original github text. Still, just looking for someone to tell my I'm crazy :p thanks all!
death.crafter
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Need someone with C#/tech knowledge to say if this is legit or not

Post by death.crafter »

Novadestin wrote: September 6th, 2021, 4:25 am Hello, everyone. Could someone smarter than me take a quick look at the below just to make sure it's all on the up and up before I approve the post on the rainmeter subreddit?

SongInfoFromSpotifyWindowTitle-Rainmeter on github

Basically, the creator posted the link in the sub with very little info and I, after reading the github description and with little programming knowledge, find the whole thing a bit off. When I asked them for more details, they admitted it does look sketchy, but just repeated what they had already said without adding further detail... except for "I am working on making the program write to the registry, instead of a txt file."

They stated they made it because they "couldn't get webnowplaying to work with spotify" which is equally as off to me because that would have only taken a quick help post to make sure they had everything set up correctly. IDK perhaps it's my lack of programming knowledge, but I would just greatly prefer someone else's word that this is OK.

And, hey, if all is well than at least I will be spreading the word and perhaps someone here can help turn it into a dll like they want.

EDIT: of course, right as I post this, they update things. This is the original github text. Still, just looking for someone to tell my I'm crazy :p thanks all!
Yup its perfectly fine. It's just writing a value in a new registry key. Or a text file.

Though tell him to provide both versions. As people may not want their registry manipulated by unknown software.
from the Realm of Death
death.crafter
Rainmeter Sage

Post by death.crafter »

Wait a minute lmao.

What he's doing can be done with NowPlaying measure. And some more.

So his app is redundant if used with Rainmeter.
from the Realm of Death
Novadestin

Post by Novadestin »

Thanks for verifying that I'm just crazy and a bit ignorant haha :great: