It is currently April 19th, 2024, 5:55 am

Use of others skins.

General topics related to Rainmeter.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Use of others skins.

Post by Yincognito »

SilverAzide wrote: July 27th, 2021, 12:07 pm That cloudfront.net site has a tornado icon I have not seen elsewhere. Looks like another edit, layering on an image over another.

0.png
I like it too, but I'd make the contrast between the tornado and the raindrops more obvious, alter a bit the tornado color or move the raindrops "outside" the tornado for the elements to be clearer in all circumstances.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Yincognito wrote: July 27th, 2021, 2:50 pm I like it too, but I'd make the contrast between the tornado and the raindrops more obvious, alter a bit the tornado color or move the raindrops "outside" the tornado for the elements to be clearer in all circumstances.
Be hard to do without the original photoshop .psd file with the "layers".

Guess I don't get a lot of Cyclones around here anyway...
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

jsmorley wrote: July 27th, 2021, 2:52 pm Be hard to do without the original photoshop .psd file with the "layers".

Guess I don't get a lot of Cyclones around here anyway...
True, but I don't believe you'd necessarily need the PSD layers to do it - just the bare tornado image and the raindrops one (and those are probably easy to get, if they exist). Then, you could create your own layered PSD and adjust stuff as desired. Honestly, I think that's how the other images were made as well - at least that's how I would do it (e.g. bare sun + bare cloud = partly sunny, etc).

P.S. You'd need transparency, of course, for the process to go smooth.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

Yincognito wrote: July 27th, 2021, 3:36 pm
Yes, this could be done without the layers, since the "source" under the tornado is the thunderstorm icon.

However, the most important thing to note before anyone exerts any effort on this particular icon, is that TWC never uses it. They never use #0, #1, or #2. In fact, I'm not sure they use #3 either. I've pointed the lat/longs directly into the middle of active hurricanes and tornados, and they only ever use icon #4.
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

SilverAzide wrote: July 27th, 2021, 5:00 pm Yes, this could be done without the layers, since the "source" under the tornado is the thunderstorm icon.

However, the most important thing to note before anyone exerts any effort on this particular icon, is that TWC never uses it. They never use #0, #1, or #2. In fact, I'm not sure they use #3 either. I've pointed the lat/longs directly into the middle of active hurricanes and tornados, and they only ever use icon #4.
Absolutely - that's exactly what I was referring at when talking about "the relative confusion of when such conditions really occur (besides the TXT from jsmorley's package) when it comes to real life weather and the result from the source data" earlier. You can't test every possible scenario, and even if you did, you never know for sure that someplace, someday, TWC won't surprise you (even if it looks they won't, according to your experiences - and mine, by the way, since I can confirm what you said - with such things). Since they are too many to be "fail-safe" icons, maybe they're sort of obsolete conditions / icons kept for backward compatibility purposes?! Hmm...
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

Yeah, there's a lot of icons/conditions that are never used. I've never seen them use the "hot" or "frigid" icons either, for example. When Death Valley hit 130F recently, TWC just used the "sunny" icon like always. Same with "frigid", I've seen -44F and it's still just regular "clear"/"sunny", etc.

I've scraped the icons from TWC and Weather Underground (also TWC now) and they both still have the standard set of 47 icons, they just never use all of them.
Active Colors

Post by Active Colors »

SilverAzide wrote: July 27th, 2021, 12:07 pm That cloudfront.net site has a tornado icon I have not seen elsewhere. Looks like another edit, layering on an image over another.

0.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

SilverAzide wrote: July 27th, 2021, 5:32 pm Yeah, there's a lot of icons/conditions that are never used. I've never seen them use the "hot" or "frigid" icons either, for example. When Death Valley hit 130F recently, TWC just used the "sunny" icon like always. Same with "frigid", I've seen -44F and it's still just regular "clear"/"sunny", etc.

I've scraped the icons from TWC and Weather Underground (also TWC now) and they both still have the standard set of 47 icons, they just never use all of them.
Just looked for some info on how many "weather conditions" there are or why they seem to gravitate around that 47 number (whether all 47 types are used or not), but apart from some futile visits to ISO, NOAA or WMO (most of which for some reason appear to try to keep relevant documents more or less secret and are more concerned about earthly business like registering or paying for this and that), didn't solve the "mystery". Did find some interesting technical aspects about weather stuff here though.

I guess it's about the weather stations (PWS and others) and how they report as well, and they probably transmit some "standard" sunny/cloudy/whatever data and leave the rest (like hurricanes / tornadoes and others) for the "alerts" section, sort of like an additional detail regarding weather (equivalent to the "qualifier" in the TWC JSON forecasts). Have no idea how the satellite data (if any) fits into this, of course.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Active Colors wrote: July 27th, 2021, 6:42 pm
Hehe, here's one of the 2 layers. Scrap hurricanes and tornadoes, since according to weather sites they never occur (LOL), this could be used for plain thunderstorms as well.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

Active Colors wrote: July 27th, 2021, 6:42 pm
Great find! Thanks!