It is currently April 19th, 2024, 6:06 pm

Use of others skins.

General topics related to Rainmeter.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Use of others skins.

Post by Yincognito »

Interesting finds, ActiveColors and SilverAzide - it seems the ones I need to credit are spreaded all over the world now. The good thing is that these icons have remarkably remained more or less the same over the years, irrespective of passing through a multitude of places until they got to us, so I guess that is a proof that they're well done, by whoever actually made them (obviously, they are also well improved, where that was the case). Now we also know (if we didn't know before, that is) that the number of weather.com/TWC/wxdata conditions were more or less 47 since at least 2012. Even so, some of the icons appear to be identical (both then and now), I wonder if that's due to the relative confusion of when such conditions really occur (besides the TXT from jsmorley's package) when it comes to real life weather and the result from the source data, or someone thought it was better to "aggregate" some similar conditions by using a single icon (visually) for them.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Yincognito wrote: July 27th, 2021, 12:20 am Interesting finds, ActiveColors and SilverAzide - it seems the ones I need to credit are spreaded all over the world now. The good thing is that these icons have remarkably remained more or less the same over the years, irrespective of passing through a multitude of places until they got to us, so I guess that is a proof that they're well done, by whoever actually made them (obviously, they are also well improved, where that was the case). Now we also know (if we didn't know before, that is) that the number of weather.com/TWC/wxdata conditions were more or less 47 since at least 2012. Even so, some of the icons appear to be identical (both then and now), I wonder if that's due to the relative confusion of when such conditions really occur (besides the TXT from jsmorley's package) when it comes to real life weather and the result from the source data, or someone thought it was better to "aggregate" some similar conditions by using a single icon (visually) for them.
Yeah, I think in many cases they just figured "How different an icon is Partly Sunny from Partly Cloudy?"
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

jsmorley wrote: July 27th, 2021, 12:36 am Yeah, I think in many cases they just figured "How different an icon is Partly Sunny from Partly Cloudy?"
Interestingly, the oldest set of weather icons I have in my data hoard are the ones from JSMeterVI (ca. 2015). They are nearly identical to the set I scraped off those French websites.
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

Yincognito wrote: July 27th, 2021, 12:20 am Interesting finds, ActiveColors and SilverAzide - it seems the ones I need to credit are spreaded all over the world now. The good thing is that these icons have remarkably remained more or less the same over the years, irrespective of passing through a multitude of places until they got to us, so I guess that is a proof that they're well done, by whoever actually made them (obviously, they are also well improved, where that was the case). Now we also know (if we didn't know before, that is) that the number of weather.com/TWC/wxdata conditions were more or less 47 since at least 2012. Even so, some of the icons appear to be identical (both then and now), I wonder if that's due to the relative confusion of when such conditions really occur (besides the TXT from jsmorley's package) when it comes to real life weather and the result from the source data, or someone thought it was better to "aggregate" some similar conditions by using a single icon (visually) for them.
A lot of Yahoo skins had 47 icons too, which I always found suspicious... like there was a standard somewhere. Yahoo has a few conditions flipped from TWC, but roughly they are the same.

The icons with the "small sun"/"small moon" are edits created by me, as I didn't like the way the large sun/moon looked with the weather layered over them. Also "hot", "blowing snow", "drizzle" and a few others I've forgotten.

It seems to me like the original "droplets" icon set was very small, and various people tweaked it over the years to expand it. Even that out-of-place snow icon (#15) appears to have been swiped from an old Stardock desktop widget icon set and added in. Even the thunderstorm icon looks edited, like perhaps the original didn't have the drops on it. The droplets on the thunderstorm icon are not exactly like those in any of the other rain icons; they are irregularly shaped and have a different style of highlighting and transparency, whereas the drops on the other icons are oval with round highlights.
Active Colors

Post by Active Colors »

It looks like the original(?) pack of icons had this ugly snowflake icon.
https://dwpetzwx0m0mu.cloudfront.net/images/weather/25.png

However, in jsmorley's icon pack it is substituted with a different one:
25.png
So, this one and the thermometer are taken from this icon pack: Vista Style Weather Icons Set
VistaWeatherIcons.jpg
In SilverAzide's pack there is this snowflake icon:
wi14.png
It is by Stardock https://www.stardock.com/weather.asp
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Active Colors

Post by Active Colors »

I have found numerous applications that credit that WeatherIconSets site as the source. I am attaching couple of packs I've extracted from them. Also, none of them had that ugly snowflake but they do have stardock's snowflake icon included.

One of them had this note which you might find interesting:
Capture.PNG
You can find it here. https://github.com/andrewmm/ncwunderground

SilverAzide wrote: July 26th, 2021, 3:30 pm There was a discussion back then about where these originated from, but even then no one could recall.
You have an intersting memory. It took me a while to recall the discussion https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=20009
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

jsmorley wrote: July 27th, 2021, 12:36 am Yeah, I think in many cases they just figured "How different an icon is Partly Sunny from Partly Cloudy?"
Exactly...
SilverAzide wrote: July 27th, 2021, 1:54 am A lot of Yahoo skins had 47 icons too, which I always found suspicious... like there was a standard somewhere. Yahoo has a few conditions flipped from TWC, but roughly they are the same.

The icons with the "small sun"/"small moon" are edits created by me, as I didn't like the way the large sun/moon looked with the weather layered over them. Also "hot", "blowing snow", "drizzle" and a few others I've forgotten.
I don't think it's suspicious since Yahoo used to get weather data from the Weather.com related sites as well, as far as I could notice when looking at various skin that use(d) Yahoo over the years. Or, like you said, there might be some global/American weather standard that both sites follow and I don't know of, which sets a "guideline" regarding how many "conditions" can be, from a scientific POV or something...

Yeah, what is practical about these icons is that stuff is still visible on reduced size, as that is sort of a requirement in my case (I use "tooltip style" icons at 32x32). The "all over the world" credits I mentioned was sort of a joke, by the way, forgot to place the emoticon after it. From my part, unless you talk in a "for the record" fashion about the edits, it doesn't really matter which were edited or not by you, I'll still credit you for all of them, because that's where I took them from. If everyone was looking for the entire chain of authors who contributed to stuff they use, those credits would be miles long, so I guess making sure you credit just the preceding author (or, if you know the actual original author, that one) should work for the most part.
Active Colors wrote: July 27th, 2021, 8:14 am I have found numerous applications that credit that WeatherIconSets site as the source. I am attaching couple of packs I've extracted from them. Also, none of them had that ugly snowflake but they do have stardock's snowflake icon included.
I guess folks did like we do: when there was something they didn't like, they replaced it or adjusted it. I don't find that snowflake ugly though... :lol:
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

I found I didn't like the ice-crystal icon for "cold" as that felt ambiguous with "snow" to me, which it isn't about. I preferred the temperature gauge on it, to indicate "cold" and did the same for "hot".

1.jpg
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

Active Colors wrote: July 27th, 2021, 6:56 am It looks like the original(?) pack of icons had this ugly snowflake icon.
That cloudfront.net site has a tornado icon I have not seen elsewhere. Looks like another edit, layering on an image over another.
0.png
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

SilverAzide wrote: July 27th, 2021, 12:07 pm That cloudfront.net site has a tornado icon I have not seen elsewhere. Looks like another edit, layering on an image over another.

0.png
I like that one...