It is currently March 28th, 2024, 10:37 am

Use of others skins.

General topics related to Rainmeter.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Use of others skins.

Post by SilverAzide »

jsmorley wrote: July 26th, 2021, 3:45 pm I think this is all based on a set called "droplets", but I can't seem to track down the author or a definitive site.

There are lots of sites that point to these in various "collections", but they all seem to point to a site that no longer exists...

http://weathericonsets.com/
Interesting! That site shows as being crawled by the Wayback Machine in 2016. I don't know how to access it tho... :(
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

jsmorley wrote: July 26th, 2021, 3:45 pm There are lots of sites that point to these in various "collections", but they all seem to point to a site that no longer exists...

http://weathericonsets.com/
This one exists, but I have no idea who got the icons from whom...
I guess in order to find out which one was "first", some image search by one of the ORIGINAL images would be required, and then sorting the results by date.
death.crafter
Rainmeter Sage

Post by death.crafter »

A quest to find the lost designer of the Weather Icons.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

I imagine that I first got them from deviantART years ago, but the search on deviantART is now complete crap, so hard to say. In any case, I expect I got them from some skin, and that could be, and probably is, several steps removed from any original author.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

Yincognito wrote: July 26th, 2021, 4:09 pm This one exists, but I have no idea who got the icons from whom...
I guess in order to find out which one was "first", some image search by one of the ORIGINAL images would be required, and then sorting the results by date.
That looks like something hacked together from a mix of VClouds and the originals. Here's an archive of files I found via Google timestamped September 2, 2012 (if that is something can be relied on). But this too looks like a project spliced together from multiple sources or edited; note the two distinct styles of snowflakes. Even some of the droplets look different.
Attachments
Droplets_v1.0.0.zip
(788.65 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

jsmorley wrote: July 26th, 2021, 4:29 pm I imagine that I first got them from deviantART years ago, but the search on deviantART is now complete crap, so hard to say. In any case, I expect I got them from some skin, and that could be, and probably is, several steps removed from any original author.
So if it wasn't for JSMorley snagging a copy of these realistic icons and preserving them for all humanity, no one would know what weather actually looks like! Thank you, sir!
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

SilverAzide wrote: July 26th, 2021, 4:37 pm So if it wasn't for JSMorley snagging a copy of these realistic icons and preserving them for all humanity, no one would know what weather actually looks like! Thank you, sir!
Hehe... Yeah, I've tried a bunch over the years, but found I like that "droplet" version the best.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

SilverAzide wrote: July 26th, 2021, 4:33 pm That looks like something hacked together from a mix of VClouds and the originals. Here's an archive of files I found via Google timestamped September 2, 2012 (if that is something can be relied on). But this too looks like a project spliced together from multiple sources or edited; note the two distinct styles of snowflakes. Even some of the droplets look different.
Yep, that looks to be as close to "the real thing" as you can get - they are even dated from 2012 from their file attributes (last modified date), are of the same resolution at 128x128, and largely similar. They are "only" 35 though (can't remember if TWC had 35 conditions in 2012), so the other ones in jsmorley's package could be derivatives or additions to the "originals", whatever those originals may be.
SilverAzide wrote: July 26th, 2021, 4:37 pm So if it wasn't for JSMorley snagging a copy of these realistic icons and preserving them for all humanity, no one would know what weather actually looks like! Thank you, sir!
Indeed. Hail our savior, the one and only, the super-jsmorley! 8-)
Active Colors

Post by Active Colors »

I think the most closest source of these icons would be Liquid Desktop, an old and dead KDE application that was showing a weather on desktop. SEE EDIT BELOW
droplets1-200x150.png

If you would like to know beyond this grain of information, you would need to contact its developer Matti (Matt Sarah?), who I believe has also develop a range of apps like Karamba & SuperKaramba.

EDIT: Looking at it closely, it looks that they were putting together icon packs online they found online. See attachment below. So, neither TWS is the author since that is plainly the website that gathers icon packs that float around the internet, nor Liquid Desktop because they just found the icon pack online and put it on their site. The most efficient way would be either contacting Matti himself and asking if he remembers where he has got this icon pack 15 years ago, or, not bothering about it at all since apparently it got disappeared from the internet.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

I did a bunch of reverse images searches and I've found what seems to be a fairly full set of the "droplet" weather icons. A French website developer built a half dozen or so tourism websites for various locations in France. The copyright date on the sites (where shown) indicates 2012. The site developer is listed as hdr.fr, which now redirects to kardham-digital.com.

I scraped the sites to get all the icons. The set seems to include a few unique ones, with some looking like they have been created by a different author.
ContactSheet.jpg
Attachments
Droplets_HDRdotFR.zip
(1.25 MiB) Downloaded 29 times