W7 Rainmeter > W10

General topics related to Rainmeter.
MourningStar

Re: W7 Rainmeter > W10

Post by MourningStar »

ok - success! - 2 issues (thus far)

under Gadgets >
1. weather meter loads, no data and "connecting..." displays

2. CPU Usage gadget displays more cores than I have.

all else lookin' good! -thx
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

First thing I would do is exit and restart Rainmeter. See if that fixes the weather skin.

If not, I would be tempted to look here for a decent weather skin:

https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=34689
MourningStar

Post by MourningStar »

jsmorley wrote: October 31st, 2020, 10:41 pm First thing I would do is exit and restart Rainmeter. See if that fixes the weather skin.

If not, I would be tempted to look here for a decent weather skin:

https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=34689
exit/restart - no joy

I did get the weather skin from your link (SilverAzide, and worked fine on old pc)
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

MourningStar wrote: October 31st, 2020, 10:56 pm exit/restart - no joy

I did get the weather skin from your link (SilverAzide, and worked fine on old pc)
If the CPU Meter is showing the wrong number of cores, which is kind of weird in that it should reconfigure itself automatically, you can trick it into reconfiguring. Manually edit the CpuVariables.inc file and set the TotalCores and ThreadsPerCore value to 1. Refresh the skin and it should detect the discrepancy with what you have and reconfigure itself. Make sure your Gadgets installation isn't missing anything, like a plugin or file, as the config is done with a Lua script. If you are unsure, re-install the Gadgets over your existing installation (make sure you are using the latest beta, so that all your settings will be preserved).

If the Weather Meter just shows "Connecting", then something might be wrong with your internet connection, or maybe your installation. Check the Rainmeter log to see if there are any errors there.
MourningStar

Post by MourningStar »

Thx for the replies all, ...
SilverAzide wrote: October 31st, 2020, 11:39 pmIf the CPU Meter is showing the wrong number of cores, which is kind of weird in that it should reconfigure itself automatically, ...
...maybe you're right. The specs said 6 cores for this machine. However, possible a documentation error - as the meter is displaying 12 cores and all are showing activity. So, 12 it must be ...sorry 'bout that.

Internet is fine. This is how it appeared in the past when things were going south. Perhaps one of the above steps pertaining to this topic broke it?
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

MourningStar wrote: November 1st, 2020, 12:38 am Thx for the replies all, ...

...maybe you're right. The specs said 6 cores for this machine. However, possible a documentation error - as the meter is displaying 12 cores and all are showing activity. So, 12 it must be ...sorry 'bout that.

Internet is fine. This is how it appeared in the past when things were going south. Perhaps one of the above steps pertaining to this topic broke it?
The first thing I would do is run this skin to be sure WebParser is working right on your system.

https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16880
MourningStar

Post by MourningStar »

jsmorley wrote: November 1st, 2020, 1:42 am The first thing I would do is run this skin to be sure WebParser is working right on your system.

https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16880
All lights are green
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

As to your cores, it is certainly possible that you have 6 physical cores, but 12 CPU "threads". This is very common with modern CPU's. Things that monitor CPU activity will often see this as 12 cores.

As to the weather, all I can suggest at this point is that you be sure you have downloaded and installed the very latest version of the skin. There was a time a month or two ago that there were a lot of changes to weather.com. Even if you think you have the latest one, I'd re-install a fresh copy anyway.

Assuming you do, then I'm a bit stumped. SilverAzide knows his skin better than I do, and perhaps he can help you debug the issue. I'd be tempted to download and install one of the other skins from https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=34689, to see if the problem is really with a particular skin, or is more general.

Here is one that I can assure you works unless there is some underlying problem with Internet Explorer or your firewall or some such.

https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=34734&p=172158#p172158
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

MourningStar wrote: November 1st, 2020, 3:31 am All lights are green
Hm, I'd try JSMorley's weather skin to see if it works. My Weather Meter skin uses the exact same set of files/code to grab the weather data, so if it works, then the fault lies with my Weather Meter skin (make sure you are using v5.5.1 of the Gadgets; due to changes by weather.com, older versions won't work). Check the log to see if any errors are showing up. It should be clean (info only).

You'll also want v5.5.1 if you have a AMD Ryzen CPU, due to some odd bug in Windows (or with AMD, not sure). Also, JSMorley is right, your CPU has 6 physical cores, but because of hyperthreading, it shows as 12 logical cores. Windows sees it as a 12 core CPU...
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

I'd be curious to see what latitude and longitude you are using, so we can eliminate that weather.com is currently having some issue with a particular location.

The latitude and longitude are stored in WeatherComJSONVariables.inc in your @Resources forlder.