It is currently December 4th, 2020, 5:59 pm

Planetarium with Near Earth Objects

General topics related to Rainmeter.
Fulmar

Re: Planetarium with Near Earth Objects

Post by Fulmar »

Yes, thank you for the suggestion. However the Database Search Engine is a bit inadequate for this purpose.
It doesn't take into account the position of the object in its orbit. That's important because the object has to be in the neighborhood of the Earth.
Furthermore most close encounters happen in the nodes of the orbit of the object. But in the Search Engine you can limit the nodes of the orbits to only one place, f.i. the position where the Earth will be during the next days. But you have 2 nodes. This means you can limit by object characteristics (AND logical) but for the nodes you need an OR logical.
I've sent an email to jpl.nasa if they can show me the way.
If they answer I will let you know.
Thank you anyway for your kind help.

@brax64: thank you for the suggestion as well. Esa is building up their support for automated data queries.
Yincognito

Re: Planetarium with Near Earth Objects

Post by Yincognito »

Fulmar wrote: August 29th, 2020, 4:54 pm Yes, thank you for the suggestion. However the Database Search Engine is a bit inadequate for this purpose.
It doesn't take into account the position of the object in its orbit. That's important because the object has to be in the neighborhood of the Earth.
Furthermore most close encounters happen in the nodes of the orbit of the object. But in the Search Engine you can limit the nodes of the orbits to only one place, f.i. the position where the Earth will be during the next days. But you have 2 nodes. This means you can limit by object characteristics (AND logical) but for the nodes you need an OR logical.
I've sent an email to jpl.nasa if they can show me the way.
If they answer I will let you know.
Thank you anyway for your kind help.

@brax64: thank you for the suggestion as well. Esa is building up their support for automated data queries.
Good luck in your endeavour then! ;-)